Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Trying to decide on mini for my son

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on mini for my son

Hello everyone,
I have not posted before, so would like to introduce myself. Im 31, live near Seattle, WA with my wife and two kids. Recently my son has become interested in riding a quad as well as trying out the racing scene as well. I have lurked the different sites over the past few weeks and have come to the conclusion after talking to various people that I really like the LEM. I also have found out that getting parts for them is quite difficult. Does anyone have any input on either issue? I know there are alot of these minis that are very competitive, but have been leaning towards the LEM. Also, does anyone have a used one for sale?

Thanks and I appreciate any input in advance,
Corey

Old 10-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Welcome to the forum. Listen, Racing is dangerous so don't go throwing your kid out there untill he is good and ready. Both my kids race and do very well and are very agressive. We get lots of practice time at various tracks aorund the area and I make it a point to trail ride with them when ever we can. Seat time outside the mayhem of ten other kids ripping all around him will be huge for his saftey and your heart rate. Ok now that said...

My 7 year old daughter is on an 04 LT50. I like it and have spent some time and money in order for it to be competitive. Had I known more when I got her this quad it would have been a different quad. In our circut there is now a fire breathing polaris predator 50. sc585 built it out over the last month or so and MAN when he unveiled it at the last race ALL the kids, and this dad, went "WHOA!!!" I don't know about the LEM, there aren't any around this area but I would say that if your boy is thinking he wants to race one day make sure you can find a bike that will fit his body for a couple of years and has race proven aftermarket parts nearby for you to get when he breaks down.

Have fun!

Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a six year old that rips it up on a Kasesa 90 1800 new 1400 parts this will stay with her for the next 4 years. The lt 50 she has after this season i'm either giving it to my younger kid or drain the oil out and using it for a Boat anchor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont see why everyone knocks the LT50? I think what needs to be realized is that #1 its got to be the highest guality mini out there! Comparing 50s. #2 because of stupid parents that leave there kid unattended and there kids hurt them selves dont want to take responsibility for it so they sue the manufacturer. The manufacturer puts a few governors on it and limits what can be done to it. #3 not every child needs a race quad. I have a LT50 with a ct kit and all the restricters removed and the little thing MOVES even with me (220lbs) and my daughter. The LT50 is built like a tank wont crack under normal riding even I push it to its limits. I just purchased the Polaris Predator and would never let my child I Love or any for that matter on it with those welds that hold the frame together. This thing looks like my 3 year old welded them her self. No dought the 15 minutes I rode it I wasnt impressed it is very fast but is now sitting at my freinds machine shop being rewelded and gusseted. This frame isnt even cromoly it is cold rold steel talk about cutting corners. If you are gonna spend money for a stock machine buy from the big 4 or should I say 3 for the minis.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:43 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the Lem because the single speed centrifugal clutch sucks for my application. But the Lem's seem to do very well at the track. Sorry, but racing a LT/KFX 50 at any respectable track is laughable. I think DRR is about as close to race ready as you can buy for a reasonable cost. A few builders will also sell you a race ready quad, if interested. And it's just my opinion, but your builder is your lifeline. I'd establish that relationship before I decide what to buy.

And you'll need to gusset any frame if you plan to race. Even the big dog's. There is nothing wrong with the Polaris minis.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what size engine you are interested in, but the LT80 / KFX80 is a great kids racing quad, solid motor, easy to mod with lots of parts available. Plus, if you talk to Jack (LT80 on the forum) he can set you up with a motor/clutch that will give your kid a real snappy ride. As stated earlier, don't push them into racing until they have some trail riding and practice under their belts, a nasty tumble on the track can dampen their enthusiasm for the sport real fast, and some of those kids that race are real serious about it and aggressive on the track. My son rode an LT80 from 4 1/2 to almost 9, I modded the clutch, put a pipe on it, ported the reed cage with TDR reeds, and put a .020 piston in it, he loved it, no hill was safe from him, and he loved that quad to death, almost hated to grow out of it and sell it, even I liked to ride it around the yard and pull wheelies with it !!!

Old 10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

Please gives us more info about your child's age and size....this will help us make a better recomendation

Here is my 2 cents---

You can make any quad go fast...some just cost more to do it...

My perosnal recomendation would be a DRX-50 by DRR and if you went to a 90 then I would go with a DRX-90 or the Dinli 90.

The Dinli 90 has a very rugged frame...

My 3 year old races a KFX50 that is modded out and it does pretty well as he is able to beat older kids on bigger bikes, but he has no chance against a child with a faster bike and equal riding skills

You also need to check with the local tracks to see what classes they offer and what they consider stock and modified...this does vary from track to track....If you put a pipe on then it may be considered modified and your boy will be up against some heavy competetion, but some tracks will let you do some bolt on things and still keep you in the stock class

AMA regulations are not always followed exactly except at Nationals or AMA sponsored events...

I have succeeded inmaking the KFX 50 respectable, but I can't bring it to some of the tracks without my son having to race 9 years old with heavily modded 90cc quads.

I hear that LEM makes a fast bike..but also that they have the nickname "prob-Lem"----Don't know from personal experience, just what I heard at the track (no attacks please...just passing on something I heard)

I have also seen a lot of the Kasea bikes at the track doing really well...The Dinli quad may be the biggest of the group

Some fo the brands have a limiter on the CDI--a green wire that loops on the cdi--Check with the dealer first, but if you cut this it helps the bikes go a lot faster

Good luck in your search...keep asking questions...you are much better doing that than getting the wrong bike

Old 10-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

The DRR 50 and 90's look competitive. Also look at the Cobra's.

No first hand knowledge. Just from what I've seen looking around on the net.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Trailblazer

Hi all.
My son is 5 years old and approximately 40 lbs

Old 10-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bulldogfallon

My 3 year old races a KFX50 that is modded out and it does pretty well as he is able to beat older kids on bigger bikes
A 3 year old?

This would be an example of that wide brush of parenting skills that legislators and medical professionals just LOVE to use as examples when restricting the rights of all people when some are not smart enough not to put babys on motorized machines.

We all read about these things in the news from time to time. In some States - laws have have been passed to provide a safety net for children whos parents are to stupid to recognize the risk they are putting their children in. Most prohibit under age 6 from being allowed access to a motorized (non-electric) machine.

Flame on friends - this is not a new topic for me... I read the accident and fatality reports that make your flame-posts a walk in the park on a warm sunny afternoon in comparison.

Unfortunetly the emergency room waiting area is too late for the light bulb to come on.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on mini for my son