Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Review of 2005 Boreem 150cc Quad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Review of 2005 Boreem 150cc Quad

Well I have been reading a lot of posts here in Raceways and Kids Quads & Other Atv’s forums for a while now. The information here in these forums is very valuable for anyone thinking about purchasing a Chinese quad that I would like to thank each and every one of you whether you had a good experience or a bad one because each one has excellent information.
I purchased my daughter a Boreem 150cc for $1350.00, and so far we have had good luck with it. One of the main reasons I purchased this quad was that the dealer I bought it from said they were Green Sticker for California. The registration process was easy. Sure you have to take the quad down to the D.M.V. for the registration, but all they did was verify the VIN number, engine number, and needed to see the C.A.R.B. sticker the dealer gave me along with the Certificate of origin.
My 10 year old daughter quit riding with us last November because she did not like riding her 2004 TTR 90 on trails with sand, she got tired of crashing, and did not like the bumps and bruises she was getting from falling on her bike. The little bikes just do not handle well in sand. Just about two or three months ago she said she would ride with us again if she had a quad. So I started looking, we went to the local dealers to look at the Honda’s and Yamaha’s the reason I did not end up buying the top four is I was not sure if she would keep riding with us once she got her quad. So I went cheap. The Boreem is pretty much the exact match for the Redcat VX 150 or the Yamoto 150. The only difference between the Yamoto and the Boreem is the reverse gear is placed on the rear axle of the Boreem I do not know where the Yamoto reverse is placed. I picked my quad up from a dealer after I had gone down to Boreem to look at the quads and see them out of their crate and how they were assembled. One of my main concerns is noise, so I had them start one for me These quads are surprisingly quiet. Got it home put the tires on and put the rest of the bike together. No instructions in box had a few bolts left over which turned out to be extras that they throw in for the quads as they come loose and get lost. All major bolts were real tight smaller bolts needed locktite. I didn’t do all major bolts with locktite I figured I would locktite them as soon as they came loose. I wash and go through her quad after every ride just to make sure every thing is O.K. Changed the oil before I even tried to start it. The only complaint I have is the reverse gear box leaks and I don’t want to tear the rear axle apart to fix the leak. So I am just going to buy a back up axle assembly. Lazy I know. I will pull that one apart if it leaks and swap them out if I have too. Total cost will be under a $100.00 to have a spare. The quad did not idle that well and I did have some issues with it staying running. Easy fix air screw adjustment and idle screw adjustment on the accelerator cable. Changed the plug after second ride and all my issues with cold starts and how long it takes for the quad to warm up have gone away also. People change those plugs. It has the manual choke but I don’t need to use it. Quad will start with three pumps of the throttle and she will fire right up and warms up in less than 2 minutes. Also the quads silencer is not a U.S.F.S. approved spark arrester. So I used my son’s Big Gun Race pipe off his 2004 CRF 150 (starter bike) which is U.S.F.S. approved. So far no need to rejet carb. Other than those issues the bike has been great so far. That is even after my 13 year old son took the quad out for a spin have no clue were he took it but it came back in one piece. His only rule is NO JUMPS!!! The Motor is real strong and can pull my daughter up some pretty steep hills. Hills she would never climb on her TTR. All in all the quad has been great so far and we will be riding a 22 mile trail in back of Santa Barbara this week before we go to the grandparents house for Thanksgiving dinner. Suspension seems to work okay, everything rebounds properly and my daughter has not complained about the ride. All the electrical has remained intact. No electrical issues as of yet. Tires seem to be gripping okay. Slipping a little bit. I am keeping the tires at 4 PSI even though they should be at 2.9 PSI. I have had no issues with the battery. All in all this is a great little quad.
For those interested in the Boreem and need a Green Sticker Quad, just run a search for Boreem and you should link up to their web site. All their quads are Green Sticker except the 200cc. I think the Yamoto 200cc is. And they are almost the same quad except for the reverse gear. I will post some pics of the quad if anyone is interested.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:13 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the review smb05, and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you did your home work and it has paid off for you. Let us know how the quad does over time, and I would love to see some pics.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good review, I have looked at the boreem and it definately look to be the same as redcats or yamoto, I bought a vx-200 for myself (im waiting for it) and am looking for a 150 for my girlfriend and i have found some boreem 150 for alot cheaper than a redcat 150. So i think i will order her one soon.. Thankd for the info.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey smb05, I just bought a bms 150 atv for my kids (11,14 years) and we just got back from our first
desert run and I ran into some problems. After the first day I was having trouble with idleing, and would bogg
and die also there is loud clunking or clicking noise from the rear axle. If you have any idea whats
going
on can please help thanks

Old 11-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

A word of caution to our readers -- I did some checking on the main companies selling these Boreem ATVs.

I found the same company operating under multiple company names with multiple web sites. It also appears that they went to extreme effort to hide ownership information for the company (although I will obtain that information on Monday). We also have received a signficant amount of spam from this company over the past several weeks.

Until more is known about these guys I would definately not purchase anything from them. Usually if a company hides their ownership information there is a reason. Not only is the same business operating under at least 2 different company names they have a copyright statement mentioning a 3rd company name.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

burlyr,

If bike is still under warranty, take back to dealer. If not, here are the steps that you can start to take:

First off, go out to your nearest Auto Parts Store and purchase a NGK C7HSA plug. Plug gap will be 0.7+/- 0.1 mm.

Second, you will need to adjust your air fuel mixture screw. You can see pictures of the screw in my "Photos Album". The screw is located below the fuel line. Also, change your fuel filter. I changed my fuel line to a clear line so that I could see my fuel flow.

Third, you will need to adjust your idle screw up at the throttle cable after your air fuel screw has been adjusted. Pictures of the idle screw are in my "Photos Album."

Test quad after each adjustment. If these steps do not work, you will need to adjust valves. You can get the information for this from "mywifesquad" as I am sure he would be willing to provide you with the steps necessary for this fix.

As for your clunking and clinking at the rear end, make sure you have proper fluid level in the rear gearbox. Make sure that the cable is adjusted properly. Last, be sure that when engaging the reverse lever, it needs to be fully engaged. I ran into the same noises when my son was riding the bike. I found that he was not bringing up the lever all the way straight up. Upon correcting him, the sounds are gone and the bike does great. I also removed the chain guard.

dbeck,

First off, who is the main company that you checked up on? Who are the companies? With that in mind, where and what is the information that you found? Please do not mix up companies with distributors. Can you provide the forum with the names and information?

Whenever you purchase one of these quads, the parts are 100% interchangeable as the quads are virtually the same.

If you check the Boreem site, they are who they claim to be. I have had only a positive experience with Boreem. Even with repair work, Boreem has been more than willing to not only answer questions, but work with my wife when she took the quad directly to Boreem as I had some trouble correcting the assembly of the front fender brackets. They worked with her just fine. Her experience was a positive one.

All of these quads are Chinese made from Chinese companies. You will find that each and everyone is virtually the same whether you purchase Boreem, Yamoto, etc...

Please understand that this is a Chinese quad, it is not a Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki.

I have to say that you do get what you buy. However, I purchased this Boreem for my daughter mainly because I did not want to spend thousands of dollars on a quad that she may or may not ride. With that said, I can say that I am pleased with the Boreem 150. We have taken it out numerous times and have been able to make any necessary repairs with ease. The quad turned out to be a little better than I expected. All in all I am pleased.

We own bikes from the top four manufacturers, i.e.: 2004 DRZ250, 2003/2004 CRF150's, 2004 TTR90, 2002 YZF426 and a 2002 YZ125. Whether I bought the Boreem, Kazuma or Yamoto, I knew beforehand what I was getting in to.

Again, with that said, you get what you pay for and you better know how to turn a wrench.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

SMB,

I'm referrring to the company whom you bought from that is in the city that you mentioned. We don't need to mention names. You can private message me if you want to discuss it more.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I will not private message you. This information is for everyone in the forum. By being up-front and truthfull, others will be helped. If anyone is interested on the Company in which I purchased my Boreem from, please let me know and I will provide the name.

Remember, these dealers can last a life-time or they can be a fly by night "company".

I went directly to a dealer and purchased my "crated" quad. For anybody considering purchasing one of these quads on-line, please make sure that you check out the dealer in which you choose. If at all possible, it is best for you to go directly to the office or warehouse.

By the way, I did not find my dealer on-line, I found it in an ad in the Cycle Trader for Southern California.

P.S.: After re-reading my original post, I mentioned one city, this city (Santa Barbara) was not where I purchased my quad.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

SMB,

I know where you purchased your quad. I'm not out to discredit the company by any means.

But I did find some supicious activities. For example, I could see having 2 different domain names pointing to one web site to help bring in some search engine traffic. However, representing themselves as two distinctly different companies and hiding their ownership information may be reason for concern. Not everyone has the option of driving there and walking in the door as you did. What would someone 5 states away do if they ordered from these guys, the company had their money, and the following week the company was gone and they couldn't even find out who the owners were to talk to them about the status of getting their quad?

That is one example of why I'd like to check into these guys a bit more. Until then, I don't want any company names mentioned because we're not dealing in facts without further information.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Again, my only request is that when purchasing one of these quad's, you do take the time to check out the dealer. If you do not have the opportunity to go to the office/warehouse yourself. By taking the time to do a little research, you may save yourself a headache later.

Remember, buyer beware. Use common sense. Use your credit card to protect yourself.

Quick Reply: Review of 2005 Boreem 150cc Quad