Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need definitive shock answer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need definitive shock answer

Hi all,

I have throughly enjoyed reading many of your threads and feel I am in the company of experienced riders and ATV pros. I look forward to visiting this forum often for answers, and contributing when I can.

With that I said, I ask this :

I have read mutiple threads regarding the UNBELIEVABLY stiff suspension on these value priced chinese ATVs. My girlfriend just bought her son a Kazuma Baby Falcon 110, and it is the epitome of this problem. I mean, the thing barely moves at all, maybe 1-1.5 inches of travel is all you can get, and thats with me jumping up and down on the front pushbar. Its as if someone in the engineering department recieved a prize for using all the spare parts they had lying around. Its so bad that her 11 year old son was considering not going riding with us last weekend. (we cannot have that)

There has got to be a practical fix for this. A shock swap seems the most logical, but I have seen recommendations of wheel reversal or wheel spacers to put more leverage on the control arms. I can see how that would soften the blows a bit, but to me the problem seems to be the coilover springs. The first 3-4 coils are already touching before any weight is applied, which leaves only 3-4 more coils with any space between them yeilding only a mere 1 inch of travel collectively before they meet as well. Incidentally, the rear is the same sad situation, but since most of the time he spends riding standing on the footpegs, he doesn't notice that as much.

I have read in only one thread that Suzuki LT160 shocks will fit, I need someone to verify this before I drop the hammer on the decision. I'd also like to know (as I have not read anywhere) if there is any direct replacement for the rear mono shock/spring.

I need some advice guys, her son is uncomfortable on the thing, and I'm afraid that may lead to her bailing on the whole ATV scene as well. That would leave me one lonely rider.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'm not a believer in swapping stock shocks for stock shocks. I think most stock shocks are the same, sure some may vary.
I recommend calling WORKS and seeing if they can make you a set for your machine.Of all the shock companys, they would be the least expensive.
No, this isn't the cheap option, but THE answer for the problem. I'd rather spend the $ and have the rider feel and be safe.
Good luck and have fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

4run4fun,

A few things to think of. Yes these chinese quads have very stiff suspension. You do have a few things you can do to help the situation. The first thing I did was get a name brand tire that actually had flex. The stock tires are junk. Hard and stiff. So yes every bump you hit the tire will not absorb. The stock size was rear 18x9.5x8/front 19x7x8. I went with a fox a/t rear 20x9x8/front 20x7x8. Just doing the tires made a world of difference. The front wheel spacers do make the ride plush. I am not sure what shocks will fit the baby 110. If it is 3 lugs front I may have a set of spacers for you if interested. The full size 110 falcon and Yamoto will take lt160 front shocks. Also if you can get yourself a clamp on airfilter I highly recommend it. The stock airbox is junk.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum 4Run4Fun, If you measure your front shocks from eye to eye(center of the bolt to center of the bolt) And they measure around 9" then the lt160 shocks will work on the front. As for the rear, I have no idea what to tell you. I did some mods to my wifes quad and got a shock from a mid 80's CR80 to fit and the travel jumped from 9/16" to 3.5". The front softened up with the wheel spacers and she never mentioned them again.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I tried using shocks from another quad on our mini..
Was a ok idea for the time being, but not long term answer....

Once I put Works shocks on, I wish I would have done from the beginning.
As LT80 said, that really is THE best way to go.
Save up your pennies,
It'll be the best money spent on that thing, and whoever is riding it will be more than happy to continue riding.

Good Luck

Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input everyone. I think you guys addressed every option except reversing the wheels, has anyone tried this?

I have never heard of WORKS, can anyone direct me to their website, and/or contact info? I'd like to investigate further.

Again, thanks and I'll keep you up to date on what I try and what works.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:15 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: 4Run4Fun
Thanks for the input everyone. I think you guys addressed every option except reversing the wheels, has anyone tried this?

I have never heard of WORKS, can anyone direct me to their website, and/or contact info? I'd like to investigate further.

Again, thanks and I'll keep you up to date on what I try and what works.
Reversing the wheels will basically do what the spacers will for no cost. I tried it on my wifes Yamoto before making the spacers.

Here is the Works website. I didnt suggest them because they will most likely double your investment in a chinese quad. And figured that wasnt a option. It will be worth the money if you have it to spend though. If you want to find a used set of LT160 shocks go look around at ebay.

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

One other thing you might try first is to remove one of the front shocks and see if the a-arm moves freely. Sometimes the a-arms are very tight without a shock. If they are tight you can loosen the nuts and bolts and see if that free's them up, then try the shocks again. If that helps make sure you locktight the nuts so they don't fall off.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

UPDATE :

First chance I got this weekend I tried the old front wheel reversal trick, in an attempt to widen the stance and soften the ride.

DISASTER!

With the wheels reversed, the valve stem rubs on the bottom of the front spindle and catches the brake line at the top. I quickly put them back to stock positions. I suppose the wheel spacers are the only way to go. Does anyone have them for sale at raceway? I'll need 16 of them since all tires are 4 lug.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:03 PM
geo
Trailblazer

The cheapest way to make a shock is to overspring it. That way you're covered, whoever rides it. The ideal but expensive way to build a shock is to spring it lightly enough to give you the correct ride height, then valve it (damping characteristics) according to the rider, terrain, and riding style. That's how Works, Elka, Fox, etc make their shocks. And that's why they cost $500+ for a set of shocks vs $30 - there's effectively zero damping in chinese shocks.

Having said that, it's absurd to consider paying as much for shocks as the quad itself. JetmotoUSA has recently come out with a set of shocks that look identical to Works shocks, but have piggyback reservoirs. I have a set for my Jetmoto 110, and it's a night and day difference. Not exactly Works caliber, but 70% as good. We have both a 110 and 200 (shaftdrive) and my boys refuse to ride the 200 with its overly stiff suspension. It's borderline unsafe.

I know Jetmoto has been bad-mouthed on this forum, but unlike other chinese atv importers, they're actually trying to fix some of their inherent shortcomings themselves by redesigning the stuff that needs it - like suspension. They have a complete suspension kit that includes +2 a-arms, rear wheel spacers, shocks, and bump-steer eliminator spacer.

I've got a picture of my two machines at - 110 mod pic

Quick Reply: Need definitive shock answer