Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Convert Kauzma 110 to 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Kauzma 110 to 50cc

I'm curious about this swap.. I know that the engines are identical and they will bolt directly in and all. However, my question pertains to the electronics.

Let me start off with what I have.. I have a 110cc atv that I'm wanting to convert to 50cc engine, but from a dirt bike and not the atv. The reason that I want to use the engine from a dirt bike is because it has a manual 4 speed transmission (no reverse, don't need). The whole intention is to have direct drive as I switch the gears, because no matter how fast you shift the semi-auto it only slowly shifts to the next gear. Thus making it hard to power slide in corners etc. This is a little project pit quad. Also the gear ratio for the transmission on the dirt bike engine are a lot longer, so I will have a lot faster top speed. Since the 50cc engine is an exact copy/ clone from the old Honda Trail bikes the aftermarket CDI, larger cams etc will work directly with this engine.

Anyhow, the wiring for the 110cc has only 6 wires and the 50cc engine I'm using has 10 wires, 5 from the stator and 5 from the transmission. I'm just wondering if anyone has the wiring diagram for any of these, or know's the wires by color code.

I noticed that you are running the 110cc carb, how's that working for you? Does the engine flood out, or did you have to down jet the carb? Also, I beleive that the CDI for the 110 and the 50 would be totally different, so you may want to consider changing them.

The head and cylinder look the same and can switch out between the two, but the problem is the 50cc has a shorter stroke crank and can not work with the 110cc up grade. 50-88cc same and 90-125 have the same rods..

Originally posted by: flexikid
FYI:
I successfully converted a Kazuma Lacoste 110 to a 50cc ATV without spending a lot of money. My son is big for his age and outgrew his Meerkat and I wanted to get him a bike his size but didn’t want to violate the 50 -70 rule for 6 to 12 year olds. It turns out the Meerkat 50cc engine has the same bolt pattern as the 110 and the engine aligned perfectly on the frame. I removed the counter sprocket from the 110 and it fit onto the 50cc. The exhaust and the 110 intake manifold & carburetor bolted up the 50cc engine. The wire plug for the 110 did not match the 50cc but the wires where the same color and new connectors had to be installed. Started right up and my son was outside sliding around in the snow last night.

The problem is that it is geared wrong. I need to change the drive sprocket to a smaller one and the rear sprocket to a few teeth bigger for more power. I had the ATV up to about 50 mph and still had one gear left. I need to put the power in the lower end since the engine is geared for small tires. Also it had no power in the second and third gear with me on it. I could crank first gear up to 20mph with power though.

I also noticed I could take the 50cc cylinder and head and bolt it right up the 110 since the cylinder and head bold pattern are the same size. This should work providing the timing chain is the same and wrist pin will work on a 50cc piston. I will take the 110 apart today to see if this is possible. I will keep post my findings.

Total cost: $150 for a 50cc engine I bought on Ebay.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is you don't live in NJ. The law here clearly states if you child gets caught on an ATV larger then his size you are in trouble. And if he/she gets hurt, you will get prosecuted. I don’t know if it was ever enforced but I work in local government and not in a position risk it. I bought him a Yamaha PW80 for Christmas because the law doesn’t apply to dirt bikes. Besides where we ride is on a farm and its flat, so he doesn’t need a big engine. I know it sucks but he will have to deal with it.
A lot of state have adopted the cpsc guidelines as law. Best I can remember they are

6-11 -up to 70cc's
12-15 - up to 90cc's
16 and over - no limit

Be sure to check your state's restrictions before you purchase.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

flexikid,

The mod you have done sounds excellent for people who need to follow State laws.. For anyone interested in their State Laws here is a link with some information by State.. ATV Laws By State - Registering and Titling Off-Highway Vehicles

Also, will you be posting any pictures of the mod?

Good job.

SB.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

When installing the 50cc on the 110 frame I got lucky with the wires. Since both were Kazuma's the wires for the CDI were the same colors. The ATV started and the battery is charging, lights, horn ect work fine. THe 110 carb is working fine so far but I was thinking about trying the smaller carb this weekend. It's a little weak because of the gearing but I'm having a rear sprocket made with 5 extra teeth to give it more power. It moves around fine but slow to get going. It will suit my 80lb son just fine. As for using a engine of a dirt bike, You may also need to change your gearing.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:26 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet if they want they can still ticket you. No matter how you do it the registration still says it's a 110 and I doubt you can convince any officer that you swapped engines and be able to prove it. JMO

Old 12-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

When installing the 50cc on the 110 frame I got lucky with the wires. Since both were Kazuma's the wires for the CDI were the same colors. The ATV started and the battery is charging, lights, horn ect work fine. THe 110 carb is working fine so far but I was thinking about trying the smaller carb this weekend. It's a little weak because of the gearing but I'm having a rear sprocket made with 5 extra teeth to give it more power. It moves around fine but slow to get going. It will suit my 80lb son just fine. As for using a engine of a dirt bike, You may also need to change your gearing.
Flexikid,

I'm really intreasted with the swap that you did.. I was wondering if you could send me some pictures of the two wngines that you have and some close ups for the wiring.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

There is no magic here. The 50cc Meerkat engine is the same physical size as the Kazuma 110cc engine. The engine bolt holes from the two engines are in the same exact location and the counter sprocket shaft is the same. I used the 110cc carburetor and manifold so that I could use the 110 air cleaner. I used the counter sprocket from the 110cc to ensure everything aligned. I had to adjust the carburetor and it runs fine. As for the wires, you cannot use the wires for the electronic gear display but for the CDI the wires are the same color. look at pictures

Picture link

Old 01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Finally finished the project and got the bike 100%. Changing the sprocket to a 13 in the front and 45 in the rear with 420 chain really made a huge difference. It’s fast out of the hole and has enough power for my son to spin dounuts and slide around. Actually, the way it’s geared now has more power then the 110 engine but only has a top speed of 20 mph… just what I had in mind when I started this project.