Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Redcat KMZ 150 update

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat KMZ 150 update

Hey guys, I've got an update on the atv fiasco. Got one of them running on Sunday by constatly messing with the fuel/air mixture screw and the idle screw. Bad part is that I rode it approx. 10 minutes and it ran great, then it went right back to it old ways. I'de give it gas and it would roll about five feet and then just fall flat on its face as if it just ran out of fuel. After letting it set for about 10 minutes then my boy got on it and rode it about 10 more minutes then it did the same thing to him . Wierd! Also, anyone know why the rpm's fluctuate so much at idle? I know this isn't the electric choke acting up because I unplugged it and it made no difference. This thing will fluctuate enough to start rolling away by itself. This is a constant velocity carbuerator and has the throttle cable attached to a wheel on the side for whatever that's worth.
Thanks Jeff

Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have one of these, but pull off the float bowl, check for debris in the carb, seems a lot of these china made atvs have junk in the carb, maybe just pull off the carb, and clean it good. Also check that the fuel tank vent tube doesn't have an obstruction, if it does, it may be whats causing the power loss. May want to pull off the pet **** and check for something blocking that. Make sure to use good gas, get a GOOD ngk plug. Thats all I can think of. Hope it helps, good luck.

Jason

Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I put a NGK plug in it Sunday, and I guess the next step will be to disassemble the carb and soak overnight in carb cleaner. Hopefully that'll clear it up. Thanks

Old 12-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

Just curious but did is your fuel lever set to on? We've accidentally let ours stay in reserve before.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, it's on. But there's no difference between on and reserve until you run out of gas is there? Or is that your point? To be perfectly honest I don't know which direction is on and which is reserve but the tank is full. Unfortunately I haven't had the priviledge of riding these enough to remember which is on and which is reserve[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How long have you had this 150? I know a problem that they had was the gas cap was not vented properly. It would cause a suction in the tank and cause it to stall. After a while the suction would be gon and they would run again for a bit then stall once suction built up again. Take the cap off and run it or if the cap is on and it starts to fall on its face loosen the cap and see what happens. Sounds like a venting problem. It may also need a valve adjustment.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 3910
Yeah, it's on. But there's no difference between on and reserve until you run out of gas is there? Or is that your point? To be perfectly honest I don't know which direction is on and which is reserve but the tank is full. Unfortunately I haven't had the priviledge of riding these enough to remember which is on and which is reserve[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Yeah, that was kinda my point. If the lever is straight up and down with the "fin" of the lever down, you are in the on position, with the "fin" or longer part of the lever up you are in reserve.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It wont matter if you have it on reserve or not. If you look in the tank the reserve pick up hose is about 1-2 inches longer than the normal pick up hose so when the fuel gets below the normal hose it will stall. You turn the valve to reserve it changes the normal hose to the longer reserve hose. If you were to leave it on reserve all the time, when you run out of gas you will have no reserve left because it sucked the tank dry.