Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 mods and top speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 mods and top speed

Hi all,

New to the group, but I have reviewed the previous lists on LT80 mods. I did a few mods to the quad and checked with a GPS each part of the mod trip. Results are as follows:

1. stock LT80 well serviced and looked after from new. Only one year old.
2. removed all restrictors.
3. 2 rollers removed from drive. Much better acceleration. Much much much better acceleration. Do this from new!
4. run down road with GPS 48Kph (30 Mph) top speed
5. replaced chain with 428. 13 front and 26 rear.
6. run down road with GPS. 52Kph (32Mph) top speed. Acceleration seemed similar
7. put on Uni performance air filter
8. run down road with GPS. No change in speed. Better throttle response. Maybe ??? marginal at best.
9. Fitted Boyson Reeds and #90 main jet. (down from 92.5) ( I ride at about sea level)
10. you guessed it. Run down road with GPS. no change in top speed. Slight loss in bottom end response, slight gain in mid to top end throttle response.

To say I was really disapointed would be an understatement.

After removing the two rollers from the front drive, and getting such a huge change for the better, I was all excited about doing the rear drive clutch mods as well. But now that I haven't got any more top end from the engine, I am worried about opening up the clutches, as I may loose power rather than gain any.

Any thoughts on why no gains from the air filter, reeds and jet would be appreciated. The motor is in top condition and I am still running the oil injection, with synthetic Motul lube (use it in my 2 stroke KX). Good fuel, no smoke, not fueling/oiling up. Spark plug new. The quad seems to run hard up till about 45Kph and then it seems to wind out. I guess this is where the transmission runs out of adjustment and the engine needs to spin faster fro more speed.

As a bang for buck exercise, If this is all I get Iwould have been better buying a rear shock and riding in control 4kph slower, cause really 4Kph isn't that much.

Any suggestions for more power/speed would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The only thing you did to increase speed was the 13 tooth (up from factory 12/26) sprocket.
Reed/filter does nothing to increase performance of a stock cylinder.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Your corect, doing more clutch work isn't the answer either.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try playing with a couple different gearing combos.
Or, spend the money to do the motor work that will get what you want...

Doing the clutch work doesn't really affect the top speed, it just can get you there a little quicker.

Like I'm trying to learn, you need to learn what effect each mod you has, and the reason for doing it.
And what effect each mod will have on other things. Make sure you do the right combo of mods to get where you want to be.

Good Luck