Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New ATV won't stay running, help needed..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ATV won't stay running, help needed..

I'm having some problems with an ATV that I recently bought. When I assembled the ATV from the crate, I was able to start it right away by just adding some gas and checking all of the oil. My friend rode it for two laps around our lot, then I went to ride it around it seemed like it wanted to die out, so I switched it to reserve and it ran fine for about a couple of minutes then it shut off. I assumed that it just ran out of gas because it was really low.

The following day I filled up the tank and when I let a friend of mine ride it in the small parking lot it died on him as he went around the corner and wouldn't start. I let the ATV sit for a couple of hours and went back to start it, it fired right up and was running fine. I decided to let it idle for a good while to help break-in the engine. About 20 minutes of idling it just shut off and wouldn't restart. So I started with the basics, pull the spark plug, check for spark etc.. The spark plug was completely wet with gas and I was getting spark so I knew it was a fuel and not an electrical problem. Anyhow, cleaned the plug and spun the engine to blow any excess fuel out of the cylinder after I put the plug back in it fired right up an ran for 20 seconds (idling) and it stalled out. Since it wouldn't start again I pulled the plug again and it was soaked with gas again. After repeating this process about four more times I got used compressed air to dry out the engine and removed the carburetor and took it apart to check for any sort of debris, but there wasn’t anything, not even a trace of any packing gel that may have been used to prevent the float from bouncing.

Now after cleaning the carb and spark plug again the engine fired up on the first try. It ran really great, so I was thinking that I had the problem solved. When I tried to drive the atv it would try to stall out when pressed anything over 1/3 throttle. The engine runs through all rpms fine when in neutral, but as soon as I put it in gear and the engine revs up and the CVT starts to wind up it will bog down until it reaches idle speed. So I decided that the engine was not fully warmed up so I let it idle for 15 minutes, then it just stalled. I pulled the plug and it was dry, but no matter what it wouldn't start even though it's getting spark. If I let it sit for about 5 minutes it would start up again with the same problems. Basically this is where I'm stuck at. The carburetor does have an electronic choke and I tried both connected and disconnected with no change..

To give the most information the ATV is an AERO RX50 (50cc engine) and has a standard looking two stroke ATV engine. It has a reverse gear, so it has an integrated gear selector. Here's what I tried, drain the fuel from the bowl to remove any air, removed the gas cap, bleed the fuel line, removed the main and pilot jet and cleaned then, adjusted the air fuel mixture (all the way in and 1.5 and 2 turns out), set the idling screw etc.. Any thoughts of what to try next??