Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006 | 02:20 PM
|
Range Rover
Default LT80 hard starting

Well I bit the bullet and got her the TRX, but I plan on keeping the LT80 and fixing it up for my 9 year old son. It will be a great start for him. I will get the zuki piston then plus it is a little bit cheaper than the wiseco. Thanks for the help again.

Old 02-25-2006 | 08:44 PM
|
Range Rover

Well, finally got around to pulling the head and cylinder off today and it really did not look to bad but you could see a lot of scoring at the bottom of the cylinder. It had a .50 in it so I guess a .75 is in order. A locol shop that came reccommended from my honda dealer gave an estimate of 125 for the bore, piston kit and gasket kit and fitting the piston. That is alot cheaper than the Zuki shop. While I was in there I pulled the recoil starter of and found out what was wrong with it, besides half of the teeth wore off. The clip that clips on to the gear had popped of so it was not letting the gear move in and out like it was supposed to. I also cut the footpeg bar and plan on getting a support made at our machine shop at work to put it back together and probably will have him mill 10 thousandths off the head also. And finally while I have it tore down I plan on changing the rollers in the clutch. Any other suggestions for stuff to do while I have it apart? Hey LT80 if you get a chance, if you read this, can you PM the instructions for the clutch work to me. My manual has yet to arrive and not sure when it will. I ordered a few things and the manual from Black Hawk Custums and the shipping has been a little slow so far. Thanks all!

Old 02-27-2006 | 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The piston size you will go to is 1.0
I'll look for the directions and edit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:20 AM
|
Range Rover

Thanks LT80. That will help alot. Now I have to do the same thing to my 250R. Took it down the trail yesterday and on the way back it cut off. Checked the plug, and spark and all was okay. Pulled the carb of and cleaned it put it back on and nothing. Checked the comp and it was about 30 to 60. Pulled the head and cylinder and noticed the bottom ring was half gone and a big gouge down the back of the piston. I guess it is a rebuild on the 250R also. Bad thing is it only has one more bore left on the cylinder, it will be 2mm over and then I guess I will have to sleeve the cylinder. When it rains it pours!

Old 03-27-2006 | 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Haveing the same problem with my sons LT80 cranks forever to get it to start.

What should the compression be at ? have not check mine yet

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2006 | 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I "think" stock compression is about 130.
Not exactly sure though..........

Good Luck

Old 03-28-2006 | 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

get a small propane torch and "not lit" us as a prime, will start right up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2006 | 11:20 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

I finally rebuilt the top end of my 97' LT80. It was a 58 pounds of compression. Now it is at 160. Big difference [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Starts up really easy now.

Old 04-01-2006 | 04:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maggiesboy
I finally rebuilt the top end of my 97' LT80. It was a 58 pounds of compression. Now it is at 160. Big difference [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Starts up really easy now.
After my top end rebuild, I'm at 190 compression [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] neener neener neener [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:

Oh wait, you can still run regular gas.........
Now I gotta run that $5.75 a gallon gas......
Dang it.....I take back that neener neener neener [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2006 | 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

You are leaning out the engine if you are running premix along with an injection pump. People often think that more oil is going to help the motor, but what is happening is there is now less fuel in the mixture and that causes a lean condition. The best thing to do is pick a mixing rate and stick with it. You jet the bike to this mix rate whether it be 32:1, 40:1 etc. I would suggest you remove the pump and use a mixed fuel.

Shawn

Quick Reply: LT80 hard starting