Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 piston?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 piston?

I recently traded my son's CRF50 for an LT80. Predictably, the front rollers were shot, so I replaced them, left two out, cut down the rear clutch shoes, etc. Did a compression test and came up with 90psi, not so good. PO claims that he replaced the piston and rings last year with standard size replacements, so I figure I'll have to go at least the first overbore. Reading the archives here (there's a lot of LT80 info in the search) leads me to believe that the suzuki piston is the best setup. That said, where's the cheapest place to get it? Also, what's included in the suzuki piston kit (SU12100-40B00-100) vs. buying the parts separately? Also, shaving the head .020 is recommended rather than leaving out the base gasket, correct? Next, the starter makes all manner of bad grinding noises but there's no damage to the starter gear teeth, is this just a noise it's going to make? Finally, I'm probably going to leave the oil injection system in place, but may reroute it so that it constantly pumps oil back to the oil resorvoir tank. This way I can run premix all I want but if I run out and have only straight gas available, I can just reroute the hoses to get oil injection again. Anyone else done this? Thanks
whodat

Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 piston?

The piston "kit" is piston and rings. The pin,cir-clips, and bearing is extra. Any Zuki dealer is where. By the time you get one elsewhere, the shiopping makes it just as easy to deal locally.
.030 off the head. Never run w/o the base gasket. You can run w/o a head gasket if you don't want to shave the head.
Sounds like something is wrong with the starter.
Oil injection: for all that trouble, you can duct tape a small container of oil somewhere, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 piston?

Oh yea, ,,
Welcome to the ATV Connection forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 piston?

Yeah, sorry I meant head gasket. The oil injection would definitely be a bit of a pain to modify, but for right now it works fine and I'll probably keep it active for at least this season. Just bought a kazuma 50 for my daughter, so in all likelihood she'll move up to the lt next year and the boy'll move up to something bigger. It'd be nice not to have to keep a special can of gas just for the quad.
whodat

Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 piston?

Well, the other day the boy came to me and said his quad isn't working. I figure it's a fouled plug or something. Long story short, the piston is missing half of it's skirt (exhaust side) and the cylinder is gouged something fierce. I'm guessing the injection pump failed and let it run unlubed; the tank is full of suzuki 2-stroke oil so it wasn't his fault. Oh well, I guess it's straight to a +2mm overbore.