Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

bombardier ds50 jetting

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bombardier ds50 jetting

HI, MY BOY HAS A DS50 WHICH I PUT A PIPE, BOYESON REEDS, CDI, AND A 21MM DELLORTO CARB ORDERED FROM LAKES MOTOR SPORTS. I CANT GET THE JETTING RIGHT SINCE PUTTING THE REEDS AND 21MM CARB ON.IT IDLES FINE AND IF YOU EXCELLERATE IT SLOWLY IT WILL REV PRETTY GOOD UNTIL IT GETS ALMOST REVED OUT AND THEN IT STARTS CUTTING OUT. IF YOU NAIL THE THROTTLE IT WILL QUIT OR BOG DOWN REAL BAD. LAKES MOTOR SPORTS SENT ME A 72,76,80 MAIN JET AND IVE TRIED THEM ALL BUT IT RUNS THE BEST ON THE 72. I HAVENT MESSED WITH THE NEEDLE OR PILOT JET. IVE TURNED THE AIR SCREW IN AND OUT AND IT DONT HELP. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF I NEED TO GO SMALLER ON THE MAIN OR ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

The airscrew will do very little to help your problem. Those jet sizes seem pretty small but maybe the #s are different so to start off put the largest size jet in that will pull on the topend then adjust the needle clip position to see if you can get it to pull off the line. If you adjust the clip up you are dropping the needle and leaning out down low thru midrange. If you lower the clip you are raising the needle and making the low-mid richer. Check to see if the jets you are using are larger than the hole in the stock jet. On most mikuni and Keihin carbs a piped 50 will use a #100 mainjet or close to that. Unfortunately lakes motorsports might have sold you a technigas pipe and that thing will not pull off the line worth a darn as it only makes power at 7000-9000 rpm and up, and a stock ported bike just wont get there. If they sold you the stuff either demand they help you set it up right or take the stuff back. I'm sorry you're not closer to me I'd help you out in person. That 50 bomb can be a rocket if setup right.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

HI FASTESTDAD, THEY DID SELL ME THE TECHNIGAS PIPE. IT IS A DOG OFF THE LINE, HAD MORE POWER WITH THE STOCK PIPE. I GOT THE JETTING CLOSE WITH THE STOCK CARB ON IT AND THE PIPE WITH AN OPEN FILTER. IT TOOK A 110 MAIN WITH THE STOCK CARB ON IT. WHEN I PUT THE 21MM DELLORTO ON IT WILL RUN PRETTY GOOD NOW AS LONG AS YOUR STAYING ON IT, IF YOU STOP AND THEN TRY TO GO TO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE IT WILL ALMOST QUIT, BUT IF YOU EASE INTO IT IT WILL GO ON.SEAMS LIKE THE MORE HE RODE IT THE BETTER IT RUN. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS WEIRD, BUT THAT WAS LONG AFTER IT WARMED UP.IT WOULD RUN AT WIDE OPEN PERFECT FOR SEVERL LAPS AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WOULD DECIDE TO CUT OUT. IM REALLY PISSED BECAUSE NOBODY AROUND WHERE I LIVE IS ANY GOOD AT JETTING, INCLUDING DEALERS AND ATV SHOPS.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 DS50 too and went through the same problems. I put a powerpros pipe on it and a 20mm Mikuni carb with a 105 main jet in it. The needle jet clip needs to be in the bottom spot to get any mid range power (the jet sets the highest out of the main jet). Idle jet is standard. I would bet your problem is the CDI box Bombardier has a very low rev limiter in the CDI box. If you can find a Kasea or Eton CDI you can wire it in directly (just keep the colors the same) and the kill switch will still work. This is the same engine as the Artic Cats, Eton, Polaris, Kasea, DRR etc. To get the best power you need to change some clutch springs also.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

HI 2 BOYS, I HAVE A NO REV LIMIT CDI AND A RACING CLUTCH IN IT, IM ALMOST 100O/O SURE ITS THE JETTING SINCE IT DIDN'T DO THIS UNTIL I PUT THE 21MM CARB AND BOYESON REEDS IN IT.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

The reeds didnt do anything to hurt the perf it's the carb. Start by leaning out the low speed/needle and see if you can get it to pull on the bottomend. Then if it pulls ok down low get the topend right. This is backwards of what I normally would say but it sounds like you have it too rich down low and thats why the 72 works best you may be close with the 72 and the needle moved up to drop the needle. I cant really say I like lakes motors. You may need a 68,70 I really cant say. Call them and Bitch till they fix you up right they got alot of your $.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

HI FASTESTDAD, HAVE YOU HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH LAKES? THE LAST MINI QUAD I BUILT UP WAS 3 YEARS AGO FOR MY OLDEST SON IT WAS A LEM CAYMAN. I GOT TO KNOW ALOT ABOUT THE FRANCO MORINI MOTORS WHICH IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN THESE TAIWANESE/ CHINESE SCOOTER MOTERED MINIS. I GOT MOST PARTS FOR THE LEM FROM MOTORCYCLE COMPANIES, POLINI, KTM, BETA, ETC. AND A-ARMS AND OTHER STUFF FROM AC RACING, SO IM NEW TO THESE DIFFERENT KIND OF MINIS. I AM ALITTLE FAMILIAR WITH THE 21MM DELLORTO CARB SINCE THAT IS WHAT I HAD ON THE LEM. I JUST ORDERED A JET KIT FROM 50CCMOTOCROSS.COM WHICH USED TO BE A POLINI DEALER I USED TO GET PARTS FROM THE LEM. THEY SELL THE DELLORTO CARBS. THE KIT SHOULD HELP ME OUT IT COMES WITH ABOUT EVERY MAIN, PILOT, AND 4 DIFFERENT NEEDLES THAT IS MADE FOR THE 21MM DELLORTO, IT SET ME BACK $80.00 BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. DO YOU KNOW SOME GOOD PEOPLE I CAN DEAL WITH TO GET PARTS FOR THE DS50? I HAVE HEARD BAD THINGS ABOUT HETRICK, GOOD THINGS ABOUT WRH. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I SAW LAKES STUFF ON EBAY AND THATS WHAT GOT ME STARTED WITH THEM,EEMED ALRIGHT IN THE BEGINING BUT KNOW I DONT KNOW. I GOT THE COMPLETE CARB KIT FROM THEM WITH , CABLE, FILTER, ETC. I HAD TO MODIFY THE CABLE TO GET IT TO WORK. LOOKS LIKE IF THEY SELL A KIT IT SHOULD BE ALREADY TESTED AND, AND EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK TOGETHER.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

WRH and Hetrick are both good. Gotta turn off the caps lock. It means you'r yelling on the net.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

What rollers did they sell you you'll need light ones for that pipe. I'd port the cyl and get a head mod too if you want that thing to turn enough rpms to get that pipe workin.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really dont know what the roller weight was, it came with the kit. they were yellow in color and half of them were heavy and the other half lighter, and they said to alternate them.... heavy light... heavy light and so on. The kit also had yellow small springs and a big red torque spring. i know it does rev pretty good until the clutch engages. engages a little later than i would like. I think i need to gear it up too, by the time the clutch engages not much longer til its at top speed.I bought a 82.5 cc motor out of a unison awhile back and was going to put it in, will i need anything else or will the resister, cdi, etc. and everything on the quad pretty much work? i was going to wait awhile to put it in but i have the weekend off and figured i'll just do it all a onetime and jet it for the bigger motor.

Quick Reply: bombardier ds50 jetting