Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sportsman 90 only starts with intake plugged.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 only starts with intake plugged.

Ran fine a week ago, my son broke the swingarm, propped the wheely up at 30+ degrees to remove swingarm. While the swingarm was being welded all the gas leaked out the drain tube on bottom of carb. After reassembly the wheely would start easily but die as soon as you gave it gas. Fuel continued to run out the drain tube. I assumed the float was stuck, so I took the carb off, removed the float bowl and cleaned with carb cleaner, made sure the float was good and was moving freely--No change after reassembly. I took the carb off again, completely doused every nook and cranny with carb spray and blew out with the air hose. I put it back together without the air box and the leaking stopped but would not fire. Installed new plug, no fire. I put my hand over the air intake and it fired right away. I reinstalled the air box - no fire. I put my thumb over the air intake hose, it started right up and idled until I took my thumb off. It will continue to run and actually feels like it may go when I give it gas while I have the air intake plugged. The drain tube does not leak any fuel now. I saw a similar post in another section, but there was no solution listed. Please help!

Old 04-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 only starts with intake plugged.

sounds like theirs an air leak , look closely at the intake manifold for cracks, also for loose bolts . also you can spray starting fluid around the carb and intake manifold and see it it idles faster or dies.