Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with Redcat VX-200

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Redcat VX-200

Damn, 3 weeks ago, I took this quad out to run the last of the fuel mixed with carb cleaner and the damn cooling fan broke off its mount to the shroud just from vibration. I finally took it apart and welded it. Put it all together and went for a test ride. While sitting on the trail waiting for my son to catch up, I noticed the brake light was not lighting when I apply the brakes so I stomp on the brake pedal and the brake line just burst shooting fluid all over the rear axle. I'm really starting to sour on this machine. I've been waiting 2 months now for parts that were missing from the shipping crate. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for this Redcat's exhaust pipe to turn cherry red near the engine. I just noticed this when I took it out for a ride at night and glanced down to see about 6" of the pipe red hot, mostly happens when you sit idleing for a minute. On a better note I bought an eTON 90 for my son, runs and drives awesome. I like it much better than this Redcat.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

TrailPatrol,
I am having the exact same problems with my Komoto ATV which appearently has the same exact motor and carb as yours. It sounds like yours runs extremely hot as mine does. I dont really know how to help you as I have tried everything from adjusting the airflow and idle screw with no luck on being able to keep it running without it stalling all the time. I am going to try removing the carb tomorrow and make sure the float and everything is working correctly.

Seadawg, Do you have a part # for the carb needed from DennisKirk?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

My carb started acting up again so I did some searching found out these carbs on the redcat 150 are a CV type they used on Harleys' & Honda's in the 80's. They were POS then and seadawg is right they still are. My carb is a DENI PD24J. If you want a couple of good sights for info on these carb's go to:

http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/CVcarb.html
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/Rcarbs.html

There is info on setting and rebuilding and adjusting this carb an other CV carbs. If you don't mind playing and tweeking them they are ok but they can drive you up a tree. Used these two sights and tweeked it in and works ok again for now.

Nitrox

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] THIS IS THE FITRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE. !!!

Old 06-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have the PD24J carb on my Chinese Quad. I too had some starting & idling issues when I first got the quad. My carb did not come with the automatic choke that alot of the quads came equipped with, which seems to be a source of many CV carb owners problems. Mine came equipped with the manual choke. After my air filter upgrade, pipe mod and rejetting of my carb I no longer have any starting or idling issues. Even my Chinese battery is still running strong after 1 year. I think these Chinese CV carbs do not come from the factory with the proper jetting. Taking plug readings and getting a feel of the way your throttle responds in each circuit when testing the quad is the key to jetting. There is a lot of trial and error and patience involved with jetting. Jetting is the key to your quads engine operating to it's full potential. If I had not done any mods to my quad I would have still rejetted the carb. The quad was running a little lean in the idle circuit (pilot jet).

I am one who does not think the CV carbs are a POS, they just need the proper adjustments.

It looks like Trail Patrol has a manual slide carb so the CV carb info won't help other than jetting principles involved.

Some of you have red hot glowing head pipes. My YZ426 also does this and it is normal on some bikes and quads. You just got to get that bike moving. Start getting cool air flowing around your engine and radiator if equipped.

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks nitrox, good info. My quad doesn't have the CV carb you mention mine looks like a round slide carburetor like this the only difference is I don't have the air mix screw next to the idle speed screw. After reading the links you provided I think I will pull the carb and make sure the pilot jet is clean. Thanks to all of you for the help. What a great forum this is!

Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Trailblazer

My riding buddy has a Redcat 200 it has the same carb as Trail Patrol it runs great but his carb floods to the overflow so the place where he got it (used like new) gave him a new carb. We put it on last night , still flooding to overflow so monday we will adjust the float to stop it, his has a #110 MAIN JET. My 1600cc Yamaha pipes get red at the exhaust port area.

smb05

Can you give us some details on your tweeking like, what atv, what jet, Like Paul Harvry
"The Whole Story" Page 1,2 & 3 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Nitrox
PS Some pic's of our riding area at pic page pick sand pit
Go to Pic Page

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] THIS IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE !!!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

I took off my carb last night took it apart checked everything and cleaned everything up with carb cleaner. Nothing was dirty or clogged put it all back together and didnt help anything at all. Still having the same issues.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

does that thing have a k and n style filter? i have a redcat 150 had all kinds of carb issues when i got it, it all started when i oiled that p.o.s filter it ran like crap would not idle no power, took it off it ran great, bought a uni filter fixed the problem.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I adjust the air/fuel mix screw, is tightening it(turning it in clockwise) making a richer or leaner mix? I was thinking richer but now I'm not so sure. Strange thing is no matter where I set it, it doesn't seem to effect the way it runs a whole lot. I haven't pulled the carb off just yet, I thought I would tinker with the setting a bit more before get into that.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nitrox

My quad is a Boreem 150cc with the GY6 motor in it.

The first mod I did was the exhaust pipe. The pipe came off one of my CRF 150's. I did not need to rejet at this point. Installed the pipe because of the Certified Spark arrester the pipe had. The places where we ride require it. The pipe was not installed for performance at the time.

Next was the air filter mod because the stock air filters are junk. The filter did not filter the dust and dirt where we ride. I changed the location of the air filter, because to change it, I had to remove the Fuel tank to get to it. What a pain in the a$$.

After the air filter mod the quad ran real lean. The main was a was a 111 it went to a 135, The Pilot Jet was a 35 it went to a 40. The pilot(slow jet) that was installed in the carb was 23.5 mm (26 series) but when these carbs were originally made from Keihin they had the 21 series slow jets installed in them. So I installed the(28mm)21 series slow jet in mine. My needle has two shims on it, one that was already installed and one that I added to it. You may be thinking why shim the needle? Because the needle that was installed in my carb did not have the grooves in it for the e-clip.

If one is unsure of what jets to get, measure them and compare it to a jet chart from the manufacture of the carb. If it is a Chinese carb it will still use jets either from Keihin or Mikuni. Or just go down to your local motorcycle shop and they will assist you with the jets you need.

Here is the jet chart to go off of if you decide to rejet.
Your mains should be N424-36 or the 99101-393
Your pilots(slow jet)N424-21

Jet chart for Keihin Jetting Keihin Jets
Mikuni web site. Mikuni
Here is a video of the quad and what it sounds like if anyone's interested.Boreem 150cc

Hope this helps.

SB.

Quick Reply: Need help with Redcat VX-200