Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with Redcat VX-200

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Redcat VX-200

All,
I don't own the quad so it will take me some time or the next time I'm out. I just got back from Indiana...but I'll take a picture for future. Now I'm worried about my VX-80...I never even checked it. Do I even need to?

Old 08-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

After much tweaking of the carb, and some miscellaneous adjusting here and there. I must say this quad is finally giving me some enjoyment. I've been beating the **** out of it for the past 3 weeks straight and it's running great. Today though I had a small problem, I caught some air coming off a dirt mound. When I land I heard the clang of metal hitting metal. Later when we were taking a break I noticed the Quad had bottomed out and the chain and brake guard had hit the frame and muffler under the seat. What can I do to prevent this in the future. It seems to me the the mono shock in the rear is weaker than it should be and it is not adjustable. Any suggestions?

BTW Thanks for the tips Nitrox

Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TrailPatrol,

One thing you could do is to replace the spring with a stiffer one, but if were you I would quit jumping the quad all together. I had to replace my rear spring on my quad because it kept bottoming out and throwing the chain. The upper shock mount will only take so much abuse before the mount bends or breaks all together. My son bent mine on the 150 we have which is mounted the same way as yours. Due to the chain throwing, it chewed up my brake caliper. With the old spring, it bottomed out so bad, that the rear-end would compress so much that the silencer was hitting the rear sprocket.

I replaced my original yellow spring with the newer red spring. If your quad currently has the red spring, you might want to look for an adjustable replacement such as the ones on the JetMoto 150's and 200's.

Good Luck.

SB

Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the red spring. Where can I get a stronger spring? Has anyone ever seen coil spring boosters for auto's? I was wondering if those might work on a quad spring. What do you think?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

REDCAT DPX 200 update

Well my budy finally got POed at the dealer and ask me to take a look at his DPX200

#1 found no fule filter
#2 found sand in the float bowls, in the two carbs the dealer had put on the atv and in the tank
#3 the float adjustment was way off
#4 four of the five carbs were missing a brass pin plug in the side of the carb.

Redcat Tech's in AZ found the brass plug problem
I found and corrected 1,2 and 3

After 8 weeks this unit is now running good and my buddy is all smiles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Guess the dealer is just that sell it and forget it.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

TrailPatrol,

I do not know if the "coil spring boosters for auto's" would work, but with the proper modifying skills anything is possible. I would strongly suggest that you find a stiffer replacement spring. Ebay would be a good place to start. While doing the research also consider cutting out the upper shock mount and replace it with a stronger mount. Also remember if you do the upgrade, factor in how to relieve as much of the springs compression and recoil off of the frame itself, and transfer most of the force to the mount. That way the frame will have less of a chance to bend or crack. (welding is going to be required) You will also have to cut the lower mount off and modify for your replacement spring. Other than that I would just try the Jemoto spring, it may bolt right up as it is right now. I think the spring is a couple inches longer so the quad may sit a little higher. Your spring right now is 11" total length. And from eye to eye it is 9 3/4 inches. Give Raceway a call and see how long the Jetmoto 150 or 200 rear spring is. Another option is to go here BMS and look at the photo gallery of the 200, 250 or 300, the rear springs on these quads may be an option for you. Scroll through the photo gallery for the 200 and you can see a size comparison of the 150 and 200 rear springs.

Good luck.

SB

Old 08-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

nitrox,

It is such a shame that the quads are being built and sold that way. It is pretty obvious that some dealers are only out for a quick buck and they leave it up to the owners to repair their quads. It's also a shame that the dealer's mechanic has no mechanical ability and/or just does not care to investigate and look at the quad. At least you were able to fix the problem for your buddy so he can get some enjoyment out of his quad.

Good Job. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SB.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

smb05

where do you get your parts for your Boreem 150 my son just picked one up cheap [Borem 110]
and needs some parts to get it on the trail.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

nitrox,

Usually I will drive down to Boreem and get the parts I need. I will call in advance before I make the trip, just to make sure they have the parts in stock.

I did a rear spring upgrade(stiffer spring), and they replaced the seals in my reverse gear box for me. I did buy some replacement bearings off e-bay. That's all I have needed in parts so far. If you would like I have a few places where you can buy parts for the 110's or if you need I can give you Boreem's Information.

Hope this helps,

SB.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Ya the Boreem info would help, is it the factory parts depot?

Quick Reply: Need help with Redcat VX-200