Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

HELP me before i buy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP me before i buy!

Myself and my brother-in-law have had several Redcat/Kazuma atv's over the last year. We had a 70cc in which the motor seized. We had bought it and we were told it was new but was in reality used. Then we bought a 110 MKII and a 150 MKII. The 110 is still going strong my brother-in-law rides it agressively on trails in summer, fall and the start of winter. It's not a mud quad or much of a snow quad. The 150 was mine and it moved and had some power to it but the chain tensioner sucked. I've had a dingo 250 for quite some time now and that thing is awesome! It tows, pulls, takes the trails, some mud but still not much snow. One more thing that can't be overlooked is that some of these quads are TOO TALL. Their wheel base does not lend itself to agressive riding. If you cut a turn too sharply you will tip and probably run yourself over. My brother-in-law did it in the back yard with his 110. He bruised his leg bone pretty bad.

If you say you've read the forums then you should already know you have to deal with some place that will support the quad because you will need it. Also pay attention to the threads about carb adjusting, loc-tite, and taking care of the quad.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

if you like riding in the mud and snow their's an easy fix, change your variator roller weights, the lighter you go will increase the bottom end. stock is 21gr , 15gr seems to work the best for these engines. cost is just around $30 and appox 30 minutes of labor.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

I know. You were kind enough to send me the information some time ago. I haven't had the time to look into it more.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

What kind of friend would I be, Bill, if I violated my friend's privacy rights and posted their names, particularly when I myself am anonymous here? Therefore, the use of 'my friends.' Everything stated in my post is true and easily substantiated. However, I don't need to substantiate any part of my post. There are numerous posts on this site that already do it. There are two posters on this thread that substantiate durability and stability issues. It never ceases to amaze me how some people will defend their purchase of these junk Chinese ATVs. It transcends even the egotistical Chevy-Ford controversy. At least there you are arguing whose the best of the best. Here, you're trying to convince some poor sap to jump in bed with you and buy $800 worth of scrap metal. If his son is any type of an aggressive rider, the machine just will not hold up. That fact has been proven time and time again. It starts with headlights and tail lights falling off; their stalks breaking off from vibration. Plastic brake handles snapping off. Throttles stripping, exhaust systems falling off, transmissions breaking, frames snapping, riders flipping over. Read the posts! The list goes on and on. And in regards to riding in the sand, my daughter was running circles around them on her eTon 90 followed by my son on his LT50. They were kicking *** in the sand. Yeah, these are $1,900.00 quads. But you know what? After over 2 years of hard riding, these bikes still run and look like new. I've never had to do anything to them. Nothing. Clean the air filter, keep the oil tank full and do a quick check for loose items every so often. That cannot be said about Kazuma, Jet Moto, Redcat or any of the other Chinese crap that's out there. Hayankine, and anybody else reading this post, do yourself a favor and purchase either one of the higher end scooter-engined or 'big four' quads, new or used. Even though $800 sounds like a good deal, it isn't if you can't ride.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

I'm sorry you can't read. The guy didn't ask whether he should buy one of the big 4 or not. He asked should he get a jetmoto or a kazuma and about parts for it.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, Solar!!! Not you, too?!?! OK. Let's analyze what he really asked since apparently the only eclipse around here is somewhere between your eyes and your brain.

Question 1: "Iwould really like to know how it holds up...." Pretty clear. I think that's been answered.

Question 2: "...would i have problems to which i cannot get parts for..." Seems like he has a clue that the Kazuma is a real piece of crap. Wants to know where to get parts when it breaks and will the parts be available to fix his problem. I think that has also been answered.

Question 3: "Hes been riding a honda fourtrax.... should i get the jet moto or the falcon kazuma?" Since he is coming from a Honda and asking should he buy a Jet Moto or Kazuma, he should definitely be advised that he is making a HUGE step down in quality of machine.

Key Statement: "For the price of these china brands I hope it does its job."

The man asked the question with that statement. The China quads do not hold up compared to the higher quality scooter-engined or 'big four' quads. I don't care how long you stand there, stomping your feet and holding your breath. Your charades are never going to change that fact.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

Dude,

Let's reanalyze the statements again, but in the proper context and frame of mind ok?

Question 1: "Iwould really like to know how it holds up...."

Meaning: I've never had a chance to ride one of these quads, can someone else who HAS ONE tell me how it rides/runs and what can and cannot be done with it.

Question 2: "...would i have problems to which i cannot get parts for..."

Meaning: Do I buy parts from the dealer or do I buy my parts right from the manufacturer and do they usually have them in-stock?

There really were no questions after that. He flat out made the statment he wants to know whether or not to get the jetmoto or the kazuma. He also says even before that and of the kazuma baby falcon, ve been reading all about it and it seems to be the best option for my son at the price.

That would indicate he is only interested in spending around 900 to a thousand dollars. He already said he knows where he is buying it from so now he needs which one.

We could debate the quality of these quads all day but since you have never personally owned one or ridden it or had to fix anything on it, quit being someone elses parrott.

My problems with these quads were instigated by me, if the 70 had were in fact new instead of used when I bought it there would have been no issue. The 150 was too small of a quad for me. My 250 is awesome without modifying it. After that, I'll get a 4x4 shaft drive something else from the big 4.

You'll notice in any of my posts I never said what the guy should or shouldn't buy. I flat out cited MY OWN experiences with MY OWN quads and left it up to him. You're the one pushin "BUY THE BIG 4" down his throat. Not anyone else.

To back up Bill, he's right you shouldn't just go posting "my friend's atv broke". That's nonsense. You don't have to violate your friend's privacy to say "My friend Carl's son had a falcon 110 and the throttle cable snapped on it."
He's definitely right to say quads in this power range don't do well in sand anyway. The motor is not strong enough to push a rider plus the quad without proper traction.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:13 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont own a Kazuma, but I can tell you from experience that the Jetmoto is light years ahead of my Yamoto 150.

Ant there will always be some one trashing chinese quads.
And to be honest most of them deserve it!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, Solar, if it makes you feel any better, my friend Lou, the landscape contractor, bought his girls 2 Kazuma 110s that turned out to be Chinese junk. My friend Chris, the engineer, bought his sons one JetMoto and the other a Redcat. Lou, btw, rides a YFZ 450 and Chris rides either a Z400 or his Rincon, depending on his mood. They also were pulled into the lure of a low price quad to satisfy their needs. Lou's girls will probably be okay with the Kazuma after all the easy stuff has broken off and been forgotten or replaced with more substantial hardware. Chris, on the other hand, now owns 2 quads that for all practical purposes are just nothing more than glorified boat anchors. I feel worse for Chris than Lou because he definitely made the wrong choice and is now faced with either putting nearly the new purchase price in the Redcat to rebuild the transmission and a couple hundred bucks replacing all the little things wrong with the JetMoto or trashing them and buying quality equipment. You satisfied now? You will also notice once your eclipse has passed that I have been advocating the higher quality scooter-engined quads more so than the 'big four.' I own an eTon and an Aasco, both of which are Taiwanese, scooter-engined quads. Except for the Honda 90 and Suzuki LT80, the Dinli, eTon, and Kasea are all scooter-engined quads, and these are the quads that have the best reputation for reliability in this displacement range. He also asks about parts to upgrade performance. There are tons of parts for the aforementioned quads. What true performance parts exist for the Kazuma? My best advice to him would be to take the $800 and put it into the Honda, unless it's a complete basket case. Buy some new plastics, fix whatever might be ailing the engine and enjoy the kind of reliability you will only get with a Honda. Otherwise, look for anything but one of these cheap, Chinese pieces of junk. His boy will wear it out in no time and he too will have an $800 boat anchor. And as for owning one myself, I like to learn my lessons from the results of others. I found out what was junk and stayed away from them. Finally, if you read the last line of the third post in this thread, the gentleman states that "For the price of these china brands I hope it does its job." I'm advising him to learn from the pain of all the others posting on this site in regards to the lure of these cheap Chinese quads and run away. Spend a little more money and be secure in the knowledge that he isn't going to be spending money repairing his quad everytime his son takes it out riding. Look at your own experiences; add up the original purchase price, all the costs to repair your problems, the cost of your time, the future, continued costs you will incur and see if it doesn't add up to exceed the cost of one of the far more reliable quads that are out there. And, at this stage, I don't recommend that you buy from the big four. They are too much for what you get. I would only buy if you could find a quality used 'big four' quad at a good price. Finally, you obviously have never seen the power of an eTon or Kasea. These bikes romp right out of the box. The 110 4-strokes cannot even hope to stay with these quads and they also have far more than enough power to run in the sand. They do it all the time. The Aasco is another story altogether because it is a $3,000.00 purpose built quad that is WAAYYYY fast and doesn't belong in this conversation. And if that wasn't enough, my son's LT50 runs on sand nearly as fast as it does on asphalt thanks to the tires it has. The man asked for information, I provided the information I have and if that's not enough, there are hundreds of posts on this board that bemoans the purchase of Chinese ATVs. Show me where the complaints are for eTon or Kasea.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

Ok. There you go, that last post was more swaying than anything else you posted. I actually agree with that one. As far as my costs, time and everything well here it is.

The 70 cost $1000. When it crapped the dealer bought it back.
The 110 cost $1100 and still going strong. The only thing we put into it is oil.
The 150 cost 1400 and when it went down with the chain tensioner, The dealer bought it back for 800.
The 250 cost me $1800.

Didn't cause me much pain or agony.

When I need something 4x4 and bigger, I definitely won't get a Redcat or a Kazuma mostly because they don't make anything that big or because the cost will be near the same no matter what the brand.