Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Not sure which 50cc to go with.....help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure which 50cc to go with.....help.

I've been looking online for a couple of months now trying to decide what to get for my 5 year old daughter. I would love to buy a Suzuki or Polaris, but those are obviously way too big for a 5 year old who is just learning to ride. I'm starting to question whether I want to buy one of the "off" brands. Most of the reviews I've been reading in the forums don't sound very good. But on the other hand I guess I'm not really willing to spend $1500+ on a quad right now for my daughter to drive around the yard. I'd like something with front and rear shocks. I'm looking at the following 50cc quads and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm not the most mechanical person so I really don't want to be figuring out why the quad won't start or why it cuts out every time it is used.....

Kazuma Meerkat 50 http://www.racewayatv.com/Kazuma-KMX-50.php
Kazuma Meerkat Turbo 55 http://www.motorsports-wholesale.com/turbo55.htm
Freedom 407 50cc http://www.legionglobal.net/index.ph...roducts_id=192

Old 06-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

Eton makes a Viper 50. Check ebay. You can also see it at Anythingatv.com. It has a speed limiter on the CDI box. It has the same body and frame as the 70 and 90. just smaller tires.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

cvc42,
The Eton Viper 50 looks pretty nice, but a little high on price with an MSRP of $1599. Not sure if I want to spend that kind of money yet.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

i would consider the mini 70 from raceway instead of the kazuma 50 only because it offers an automatic transmission instead of a semi automatic, it's hard to teach kids in this age group to shift gears up and down. it also offer front and rear suspension which the kazuma doesn't. what ever quad you buy make sure to spent the time to go over it and check , loctite and lockwasher all bolts and nuts, also rtv or liquid electrical tape all electrical connectors paying speical attention to the rear of the connectors where the wires enter the connector . #1 complaint is the atv fell apart, they fall apart only because someone hasn't taken the time to check and tighten the fasteners. the #2 complaint is the carb, always use a fuel filter, and clean the gas tank out prior to use, i also like to use a fuel additive, #3 complaint is atv doesn't run after washing, thats why you want to water proof all wire connectors. prior to riding each day spent a couple of minutes and check the following bolts for tightness, exhaust, brake caliper, rear spocket, chain , if you follow these steps you shouldn't have any problems, these atv's are great beginner quads but you must take the time and set them up properly.and if you do your daughter will be rewarded with hours of fun ridding it .

Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

I bought a 50cc BTM off ebay. It has the Zonshen Honda copy. it has 1 gear. Hit the gear shift and go. Nice beginner quad and cheap. I had no problems with it at all. I see them on ebay for 500-600. You can but parts at the honda shop for it. I weigh 160lbs and it halled me around no problem.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do want a fully automatic tranny and front and rear shocks. So it looks like I'm starting to narrow down my choices. It definitely sounds like you want to go over these quads with a fine tooth comb after they are shipped. Not sure if a 70cc would be too big for my daughter, she is a bit on the small side for her age at only about 39lbs. Thanks again.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

on the 70 you have a remote control kill switch, also can turn down the thottle which i highly recommend it, my grandkids outgrew the kazuma meerkats pretty quickly, but they are great beginner atv's but was hard for them to shift from a high gear to a lower gear, they usally had to stop and use their hands, didn't have enought streinght in their ankles, their ages were 4 and 5 years and we had the atv's almost 2 years. as far as i know the atv's are still runing strong. you're right must go over the whole quad before riding each and every time. it really only takes a few minutes but you should do that with any atv you buy not just the chainese

Old 06-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just so you all know that the new xl70 and 90 from Raceway is not made by SunL anymore. He changed companies because of the frame issues. The new ones are alot stronger. They are made by Roketa. Which in my opinion is alot better company than Sunl.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just one more two cents worth. I bought my grand daughter the meercat 50 with the 90cc from Raceway. It has only one speed so it is "fully automatic" & that one speed is plenty for the girl, she is five years old & has ridden all the battery powered cars, atv's, & 3-wheel bikes I could find. The last one was a Minimoto 36 volt atv that was good for 15-16mph, she said it was too slow. Got her the 90cc on the 50cc frame, & she is a happy camper. I did all the things that are suggested on these threads before any riding. Tighten, locktite, & liquid electric tape.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

[q I would love to buy a Suzuki or Polaris, but those are obviously way too big for a 5 year old who is just learning to ride. [/quote]

Hello, I would recommend the Polaris Predator 50. It will not be too big for your daughter. My son started scooting around on his at 3 1/2 yrs old. The Predator 50 is a perfect starter quad. It is fully automatic! It has the platforms on the foot wells for smaller riders. (They can be removed as she grows.) You are able to adjust the throttle speed (so you can decide how fast she goes) It also has a wrist tether for her and a tether in the back for you! My kids both have Predators (My son, a 50 - he is now 4 1/2, and my daughter has a 90 - she is now 9.) Also, my daughter races her Polaris 2-3 races per weekend and I can honestly say, hers is the best running quad out there. The other quad racers are all wrenching on theirs all the time, but we just do general maintenance and have had hardly any problems at all!

I don't want to step on anyones toes, but I wouldn't trust the cheaper off-brands. I know of several people who have problem after problem with them. Stick with a well known brand - you won't be sorry. By purchasing a cheaper off-brand, you may save money up front, but you will be investing a lot more money (in repairs) in the long run. By purchasing a well known name, you will also save yourself from a lot of frustration.

Quick Reply: Not sure which 50cc to go with.....help.