Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Looking for options for a youth ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:49 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for options for a youth ATV

Originally posted by: E7OSo when your kids have outgrown the bike in a few years...try reselling a Chinese atv...you won't get but a hundred or so dollars for it -- hell that's if it even lasted. The big four bikes retain their value...if you don't believe me try looking up the resale value of a TRX90!
That is a weak arguement imo. The '07 TRX has an msrp pf $2,749 (my local dealer wants tax and fees on top of that). You keep is for 2 years, you may sell it for $2k. You're out $749. So you buy a China quad (90cc) for $699, free shipping, no tax. You only risk $699. So what if you only get $100? But then I would also argue you can get $2-300 for anything that runs.

Would I buy a $699 quad? Probably not, but finances would not be the reason.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: E7OSo when your kids have outgrown the bike in a few years...try reselling a Chinese atv...you won't get but a hundred or so dollars for it -- hell that's if it even lasted. The big four bikes retain their value...if you don't believe me try looking up the resale value of a TRX90!
That is a weak arguement imo. The '07 TRX has an msrp pf $2,749 (my local dealer wants tax and fees on top of that). You keep is for 2 years, you may sell it for $2k. You're out $749. So you buy a China quad (90cc) for $699, free shipping, no tax. You only risk $699. So what if you only get $100? But then I would also argue you can get $2-300 for anything that runs.

I would argue that the $600 less resale could be expressed as a better quad experience...less break-down time and a more enjoyable ride......

Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

I think the price discussion is always the interesting one. You can litterally purchase 3 Kazuma's before coming close to the price of one Honda. Is it worth it...that's the $3000 question. I've always been a honda fan but like all honda's, they tend to roll out new gadgets slowly. The arguement is always "they want to ensure it's good before rolling it out" but that IMO is just a defensive strategy. Honda is always good at rolling out new technologies such as engines (remember the original CVCC engine that defined the Civic?) however small things like heated seats, or Nav systems, they are always 3-4 years behind everyone else. At the end of the day do you trade off options (reverse, disc brakes) for quality (Honda vs Chinese clone engine) or is there someone that's close to both without the cost associated with each (Maybe a Polaris?). This is the thing I'm trying to balance.
For example, I hear and read good reviews in here about the Baja 90cc ATV's from Canadian Tire/Pep Boys. However I also read about people that have had some not so good experiences until someone with some technical knowledge, bails them out. For now, I keep on searching. Thanks folks!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I just went through this analysis while selecting a quad for my son. Here's a couple of comments.

First, I'd rearrange your list a bit as follows:

1. Automatic - number one on the list. Don't ask your child to think about shifting. You want ALL of their attention focused on avoiding obstacles and staying safe.

2. 90-125cc - too big. 49cc is where you should start. A 49cc engine has MORE than enough power to move your child around for several years. 49cc's have several restrictors on them for young and beginning riders, so anything larger is just a waste.

3. Electric start - since you won't be letting your child ride without adult supervision, don't make this a requirement. It narrows the field too much.

4. 4 stoke - nice but not necessary. Again, it narrows the field too much, particularly regarding good used machines.

5. Rear brake operated by foot - as long as the handgrips are sized properly, a foot brake is not "safer". I've heard folks suggest that there's some advantage to having the child stand with all their weight on a foot brake, but seriously... when a panic stop is required, do you really want them raising the center of gravity on the machine? Do you want them standing up when braking DOWN a hill?!? Besides, most of the effective braking power comes from the front wheels anyway. Try locking up just the fronts, and then just the rears, on your machine and see which stops you faster.

6. Reverse - see #3 above. If the child will be adult supervised, reverse is an unnecessary distraction.

7. big enuff to support both of us for a bit until she gets old enuff to ride by herself (210lbs would be fine) - the other poster is correct. These little machines are not intended to hold two riders. It will shift the weight too much to the rear and unweight the front (steering) tires. The effect is even worse going uphill. Two people on a small quad is very, very risky. This is perhaps the most dangerous thing you've suggested in your message. Don't do it. And by eliminating this "need" for two people, you reduce the required engine size (#2), frame size, and machine weight. Since the #1 youth injury is having the machine roll on the child, you don't want the machine to be too large for them. I've heard a rule of thumb which suggests that a youth quad should not weigh more than 3X the child's weight. Anything that can properly support 200+ pounds is going to weigh too much for the child alone.

Other things to consider include the seat height. There's a reason youth quads specify their seat height; it gives you some idea of the proper leg length to permit the operator to properly grasp the seat with their legs and feet. The 49cc youth quads generally have a seat height in the 20-22 inch range, which is right where the Toys-R-Us electric ATV's happen to be. Thus if your child has any experience on a battery-powered plastic ATV, there are numerous 50's that will feel very familiar and comfortable to your child. When you bump up to 70cc, 90cc, etc. you generally see the seat height pop up a couple of inches to the 24-26 range - too high for those little legs. Their feet cannot properly reach the footwells, their shoes cannot properly sit flat on the grippy stuff in the footwells, and thus they are not as stable.

After analyzing all of this, my requirements list was 49cc, automatic, 20-22 inch seat height, front and rear suspension (some don't have any!), and major name brand (for reliability). Everything else was superfluous. I don't mind a recoil starter, since it helps guarantee adult supervision. Reverse means there's a shifter, just one more thing I don't want distracting my young rider.

I ended up buying a used 2002 Suzuki LT-A50. It fit all of my requirements and has worked out perfectly. Don't be afraid of buying used, especially for a youth quad. If you don't feel qualified to inspect a prospect yourself take along a mechanically inclined friend. Most serious problems will be evident with a careful visual inspection and test start/ride. Allow yourself $100 for little fixups after you get it home and you're still way ahead of the game compared to a new unit.

The Suzuki isn't the only good brand-name youth quad out there, but it's a solid choice. They have a long history, there are lots of them around, lots of support and parts available. Folks on this forum and elsewhere have developed a huge amount of tricks and tips to "spice it up" once your child is ready for more power/speed. Starting off, though, it has up to three restrictors (intake, exhaust, throttle) so you can control what's happening. It also has a tether on the back end so you can walk behind your child and kill the engine instantly if necessary. It has knobby balloon tires at 3psi to smooth out the bumps, and the independent suspension works really well. The front and rear brakes are operated by separate hand grips and we've had our son experiment with front-only, rear-only, and combined braking. He just clamps down on both grips and the machine stops FAST.

I took a long time analyzing this market because I take my son's safety very, very seriously. Obviously there are always dangers with any powered sport but you can minimize those if you choose carefully. I'm glad to hear you're taking the time to give this the consideration it deserves, and hope my comments prove helpful.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: squeege

I would argue that the $600 less resale could be expressed as a better quad experience...less break-down time and a more enjoyable ride......

All machines break down at some point. In my case, it's usually owner induced. BUT at any rate, just because it's Honda doesn't mean it won't break down over a couple years, and just because it's Chinese doesn't automatically mean it will. You are arguing unknowns.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

Hey WAATV,

Thanks for your insight, I think I may be mixing a little of what I would want in an ATV vs what I think my daughter would need in an ATV. Getting a 50cc ATV always concerns me because I think of the longivity of the unit (ie how quickly they will outgrow it). I think it might be time for me to look harder at a small unit for her and a regular one for me. Obviously getting 2 units at the same time opens up other considerations but it's not something I considered. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]

All machines break down at some point. In my case, it's usually owner induced. BUT at any rate, just because it's Honda doesn't mean it won't break down over a couple years, and just because it's Chinese doesn't automatically mean it will. You are arguing unknowns.
This is completely true. I've had Honda's that have never needed major repair wheras a good friend of mine constantly had hers in the shop for one thing or another. Lemons occur in all mfg'ers and sometimes brands just suck in general. However people can have both good and bad luck with their individual units. One onthe main reasons I tend to look for trends rather than anomolies.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Now you're talking. Get two used quads, each properly sized for its rider. You won't tie up too much money, and you can sell them at little to no loss if you or your daughter decide ATV's aren't for you. Most importantly, you'll both be much safer because you'll be riding machine designed for your respective weights.

Seriously, those little 49cc engines can put out quite a bit of power if properly set up. Ours does a consistent 15-20 MPH on a flat dirt/rock trail and climbs some surprisingly steep hills. And that's with the intake restrictor still in place AND the throttle limiter screwed in pretty tight. Options for increasing the power include:

1) Removing the intake restrictor and piggyback carb jet;

2) Loosening/removing the throttle limiter;

3) Removing the carb slide limiter;

4) Polishing casting flaws in cylinder ports;

5) Opening up the air box;

6) Improving the exhaust system;

7) Shaving the head to increase compression;

...and so on. I've read that the 2-stroke LT-A50 can top out around 25+ MPH just by removing its factory restrictors. It will be a long time before my son will be responsible enough to ride a gasoline powered vehicle that fast. The "beyond factory" mods mentioned above have yielded a 2-stroke LT-A50 that (I've read) will do well over 30 MPH. That little frame wasn't designed to move that fast so I'm not sure I'd trust it, but the point is that the engine is NOT as much of a limiting factor as it might at first seem.

When we first inspected this used youth quad, I rode it myself (way outside the weight range, yes, but I wanted to test it on MY body instead of my child's). It had no problem hauling my ~170 pounds around, up hills, over rocks, etc.

Bottom line: Your daughter would have a LOT of growing room in a 49cc machine (another reason to get a name-brand one that is likely to last a while). That leaves you with the ability to ride something that is suited for your size and weight. Suggestion: Get hers first so you're not tempted to ride along with her in the beginning. You should be walking, then jogging, along with her so you can yank that tether line if necessary. Meanwhile, you can be talking to her and encouraging her to make good decisions while she's learning to ride.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: WAATV
You should be walking, then jogging, along with her so you can yank that tether line if necessary. Meanwhile, you can be talking to her and encouraging her to make good decisions while she's learning to ride.
ugh jogging....This was the whole reason for me to get an ATV in the first place [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Thanks!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:54 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Problem, at least with the older lt50 is that they are centrifugal clutch and lack take off power. Once it gets going, it'll do OK. Had a guy griping one time because it wouldn't start from a dead stop on his driveway, so take your terrain into consideration. The little 50 is not cut out for mud, sand or hills.

Quick Reply: Looking for options for a youth ATV