Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese Manufacturing 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese Manufacturing 101

Originally posted by: superbombman
kymco is ISO certified what it means dunno all i can say is there both great co. and stand behind there products

Also eton took youth atv of the year in 05' and lets not forget Kymco is making A.Cats 300cc and under obvousilly CAT see's something in them
In a nutshell ISO certifications simply mean that you make the same item the same way every time under the same conditions. There is a certification for the paper trail as another poster mentioned which is a seperate certification as in ISO9001, thru the manufacturing process it is certified as iso 9000, for parts and distribution they also have a specific ISO standards to obtain certification. If you walk into a manufacturing operation you should see the people perform the work the same, use the same part, install it the same way and use the same tools.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ISO is a marketing tool, and not a quality tool. You can make junk and garbage..and still hold your certifacation. It does not certify that you make quality parts.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

ISO 9000/ 9001 cuts out alot of fly-bye-night shops..... I worked at a shop that was ISO 9000 and 9001 back in the 90's....we were one of the first....the first in our area anyway...IF you look up tool and die in meadville pa (and surrounding areas), you will find hundreds of shops! It is just a small town between pittsburgh and erie PA

Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Back a few post's there was someone that posted that kymco & eton are china built thats so wrong both are made in tawain which the workmen ship is way diff. YES both CO. have plants there.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: superbombman
Back a few post's there was someone that posted that kymco & eton are china built thats so wrong both are made in tawain which the workmen ship is way diff. YES both CO. have plants there.
You go look at the company structure of many of these manufacturers and it become obvious they don't have the man power to produce the number of machines they claim in Taian. SMC is a prime example with like 100 employees. So who's really making there products? I don't know but it makes you scratch your head.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:37 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: hondabuster
ISO is a marketing tool, and not a quality tool. You can make junk and garbage..and still hold your certifacation. It does not certify that you make quality parts.
If you open up the tolerances enough, every part is good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Are tolerances the responsibility of the parts manufacturer or the assembly plant or both? Which one is the fly by night company? I'm asking.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Phone calls can be made to the manufacturer in order to open up tolerances to deviate from the blueprint design. OR the manufacturer could pretend the part in in tolerance or check the part above or below room temp. to make it check good.

ISO would require tools be inspected for accuracy as well as a paper-trail with signoffs in each department all the way thru till inspection department where the out of tolerance ones would not make it past...unless that phone call were made[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2006, 10:01 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Are tolerances the responsibility of the parts manufacturer or the assembly plant or both? Which one is the fly by night company? I'm asking.
Every where Ive worked the customer sets/requests the tolerances. Some times they relax them when they find out how much their requirements cost them. Basically the larger the tolerances the lower the price. And the more parts pass inspection. The fly by nite company is the one who cant hold tight tolerances. Not because they dont have a paper trail for their parts.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Every where Ive worked the customer sets/requests the tolerances. Some times they relax them when they find out how much their requirements cost them. Basically the larger the tolerances the lower the price. And the more parts pass inspection. The fly by nite company is the one who cant hold tight tolerances. Not because they dont have a paper trail for their parts.

I figured it had to be something like that. I think there is only a handful of true Chinese manufacturers and I've been told some tolerances are very tight...obviously some probably aren't so much. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Chinese Manufacturing 101