Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sunl (might buy one)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunl (might buy one)?

I've been looking at a Sunl SLA-255 200cc One thing thats caught my eye is the looks! I believe this is the best looking 110, 150 and 200cc atv going. Now I know that doesn't make it a good atv, but I love the way it sets way up and just the general look. I have read some of the Sunl problems, but I believe that can be with any item. Are all Sunl's junk?

I wanna get the 150cc version for my Daughter and maybe the 200cc for me to just goof around on. I've always had Yamaha's and Honda's, but don't wanna spend that right now, plus I have a couple of those now. I just want these Sunl's to ride some on my friends land, and display at my 4x4 shop to see how customers react to them, and maybe sell a few if they are decent. Anyone here had any experience with these particular models? Here's a pic of one!

http://i1.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/c5/9f/fb_1.JPG

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Range Rover

the back bottom of the frame looks similar to the two i have, both needed to be welded, just a heads up, we like our sunl sla70's just make sure u can get parts! luckily there is a local guy i just found and he has parts in stock, on display! he dont just say he can get u a part, he got them out on display! to me that says alot.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, cool! As far as parts, i'd have to use the net to round them up as there is no dealer in my town at all. I'm gonna call the dealer I might buy these from, and he is supposedly a big dealer for them. I'll ask if he stocks most of the parts!

Are these atv's bad on bearings, bushings etc. I mean, if they are just plain Junk, then I'll stay away, but if they are just the usual Chinese type item, I might go for it. Alot of overseas items are cheap, but work ok! They would only be ridden a few times a month, nothing extreme. I was pretty excited yesterday when I saw them and really liked the looks. I know what they look like has nothing to do with the quality, but I do like their styling!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

I don't own one of the models that you are interested in but I did purchase a SunL SLA-110KLB about 4 months ago for my 10yr. old son. The 110KLB is a newer model and I feel it is better than what other people have reported regarding older SunL models. Make no mistake, it is not perfect by any means and I have had some problems with it. Most of the problems have been minor and I have been able to fix them. My local dealer can get parts so far but it takes at least week or two from the time he orders till it is received. Here are some of the problems that I have had:

1. Idle problems with carb (still trying to workout - will have to take carb apart and clean)
2. Front shock (would rebound very slowly - replacement part ordered)
3. Some minor electrical problems (had to redo some connections)
4. Gas cap leaking (doubled up the gasket for a tighter fit)
5. Rear brake needed adjustment along with foot brake pedal (too tight- no play)
6. Changed fuel line hose clamps (leaking/moving from vibrations)
7. Air Cleaner clamp broke (replaced)

This winter I plan on changing the fuel lines to some better heavy duty lines along with a good in-line fuel filter.

I do change the oil often (about every 3rd time my son rides it) and I go over the bike each time before my son rides it checking all the bolts, tire pressure, inspecting frame & chain, etc. for safety reasons. My son can only ride the ATV at my father's property and it is about a 45min. drive. But when we do ride it, it is for at least 3-4 hours during the day. We ride it about 3-4 times a month. The area that he rides in is a 4-5 acre hay field with some bumps and hills - nothing to extreme. So far the bike is holding up fine and I am pleased with my purchase.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

you need to go to sunlsucks.com before deciding on a sunl product, inform yourself ,

Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

it seems to me jetmoto is the better choice for chineese crap, but i could be wrong. i was looking at that crap at first, then i wised up and got a yamaha.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

That bike style comes in a 110, 150, 200, and 250. They are all very good bikes i would not buy it off of ebay i would buy it from a dealer local you will get better service then from someone off of ebay. Do you have anybody local?

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, we don't have a dealer close by, but the distributor on e-bay has alot of feedback, and most of it is great! He is a big Sunl dealer and swears he has parts galore in stock, plus his pictures show tons of Sunl's in stock! I was wanting to try a couple, plus maybe sell a few as he is gonna discount a few for us.

Just wondering Bigbore, why do you say the ones I have listed are very good atv's? Do you have some experience with these particular models? If so, share with me what you know as I'm in the woods walking blind right now!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden all the models 110,150,200,250. They all run great the good side to the 150 is the reverse is in the motor not on the rear end like other bikes no problems with it that way. The 200 is a good bike its air cooled 4 speed has good power. The suspension on all of them but the 110 is real good has good travel. The 255 is really a 250cc and the 225 is the 200cc.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well all that is good to hear. I know there is alot of flak about the Sunl's, but I've read a bunch about alot of others also. I guess its like anything the Chinese copy, some of it works great, and some of it has problems. I've been a dealer for those little 49cc dirtbikes for years, and honestly, they have been really good with little problems, and alot of the problems were the user.

One came back about a year ago, the guy wasn't too mad, but kinda jerky! "I just bought it yesterday, and today it won't start! Man I hope its not Junk!" I started looking at the obvious things with no luck til I noticed the spark plug boot wasn't on! PLugged it back on and she started right up! Now alot of customers would have been a real Jerk right off about it, and probally felt real stupid when they found out thats all was wrong! The guy went home after that to let his 8 year old enjoy his day on it!

Things like this are gonna happen, and who ever put the boot on didn't push it all the way on, and they should have, but didn't. I know other things, more involved can happen with these atv's, but not all the time are they dud's! I really like the cool look this particular series of Sunl has, and if its decently dependable, then thats all someone can expect at the price. We have a call into one distributor for Sunl's and might be putting a few of these models in stock, so I guess we'll see.

Quick Reply: Sunl (might buy one)?