Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads

I eliminated the DC90's because there is no dealer in my area.

From what it sounds like, you pay for the 90, but only get the speed of a 50 until you remove some of the safety features. Sounds like dumb politics to me. When Kawasaki reviewed them, they said that they were unrestricted, so why restrict them when you sale them.... Doesn't make much sense.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think you understand the dc90 is not restricted. YOU can restrict the throttle while your kid learns how to ride but the performance of the dc90 out of the crate is awsome. The top speed from the crate is about 40mph. If you look at a pred90 2 stroke then you are looking at the dc90 with different plastics. Raceway atv sells dc90 and they have the best service around but any atv shop will be able to work on the dc90 because parts are all over the place. This is a very popular quad for raceing because of the powerful 90cc 2 stroke. Not sure what gave you the impression that you will only get 50cc power from a 90cc quad and why you are so bent on restrictors. You dont want a first time rider on a 90cc quad with full power bercause they will kill them selves. Like I said the dc90 is not restricted except for the throttle screw which 90% of kids quads have this feature. Any quad from small to big will have some lets say freebe mods that you can do to get some more power. Its not politics!

Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

2manytoys.

Sorry, I should clarify. I thought about the dc90, but I definetly want a 4 stroke because they will use these in the rain and on trail riding. I want to buy a atv that my kids can sit on before I buy them so I know how they fit.

I am caught up on speed limiters because the dealers do not say anything about them. For example I am looking at the new Kawasaki 90 for my kids. They have ridden 50cc for a couple of years and even some 90cc's before. The only thing the dealer will say is that there is a speed limitor screw on the handle bar which I knew about this, but then you hear that the quads will only run 15 mph with this speed limitor all the way out because of other speed limitors on the bike. The thing that gets me is the Kawasaki 90 reviews say the bike will run 25 mph, but does not say that you have to remove a speed limitor part. This is the part that I don't understand, If I only wanted to run 15 mph, I would buy a 50cc, but I am buying 90cc. Plus with the Kawasaki and Polaris Sportman 90 being new bikes there is not much information on where the speed limiters are.

I am looking for 2 brand name quads that will last 3-5 years for my kids and to buy a $2000 - $2500 quad only to have to modify it later makes me sick at my stomach: partly because I don't fully understand all the different lingo on speed limitors and definetly not mechanical......

The 3 that I got my eye on are the Kawasaki 90, Polaris Sportsman 90, and the Artic Cat 90.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

if those are your 3 choices go polaris and why cant you take certain precautions to water tight a 2 stroke? dielectric grease electrical tape connections we all did it with the china quads and it worked, these are the worst when it comes to water. i think the 2 stroke is the way to go, and by all the possitive about the dc 90 for the money you cant go wrong.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think your blowing the 2 stroke and water thing WAY out of proportion!
The polaris's (90's)are the only ones that have been known to have poor electronics.
What you need to realize is that the 4 stroke 90s are gutless. Your figuring that it will pull your child greatly thru the woods/trails/hills and this is prolly far from the truth.
I agree with raptorlegs (I can't believe I said that), I'd look at the bulletproof Honda. Other than that, I'd be finding a 2 stroke.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a Kawi KFX 90.

The owners manual mentions a speed limiter in the transmission and to take it to the dealer to remove it when your child is ready (paraphrase) becasue it requires a special tool to remove.

At the 10 hour service interval, I plan to have them remove that piece.

It's a GREAT little quad btw. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Kawi.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

I am glad to find someone that has a kawasaki 90. How do you like it? Have you or your kid ridden it yet? I am looking that this quad to pull my kids through the woods which I hear it might not be a good choice. How much longer before you remove the restrictor??

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: LT80
What you need to realize is that the 4 stroke 90s are gutless. Your figuring that it will pull your child greatly thru the woods/trails/hills and this is prolly far from the truth.
I agree with raptorlegs (I can't believe I said that), I'd look at the bulletproof Honda. Other than that, I'd be finding a 2 stroke.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Very interesting take. I am looking for a 4-wheeler that can pull my kids through some good hills without bogging down to bad and make it through some decent water without issues. The boys are 5 and 7 and have ridden 50's and some 90's before. I watched the kawasaki 90's unrestricted go through some pretty good obstacles and it did not seem to have problem so why do you think that a 4 stroke won't work for this? I don't know that is why I am asking. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

4 strokes will work but 2 strokes have alot bigger *****. seriously 2 strokes just have alot more pep, and if try and water tight them up a bit, i mean how much mud can a 90 go threw , the 2 strokes will have way power for mud, hills.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: BiggusBlockus
I just bought a Kawi KFX 90.

The owners manual mentions a speed limiter in the transmission and to take it to the dealer to remove it when your child is ready (paraphrase) becasue it requires a special tool to remove.

At the 10 hour service interval, I plan to have them remove that piece.

It's a GREAT little quad btw. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Kawi.
Have you been able to find a light kit for the Kawasaki? I just bought one for my daughter, but was disappointed to find that they only have plastic faux lights on the front.

Quick Reply: Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads