Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Jetmoto 150 cvt noise (gy6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jetmoto 150 cvt noise (gy6)

My daughter's jm 150 exhitits an occasional odd noise. I'm pretty sure its in the cvt and it sounds like its from the front pully area but not sure. Noises are hard to describe but I'll try. It sounds almost like a metal grinding noise with a slight squeal to it - but it doesnt sound like belt squeal. The sound only occurs upon accelaration. It usually takes medium to hard accelaration to duplicate the noise. Sometimes its hard to get it to do it - other times, easy. It will often make the noise when it goes into gear but you can make the noise if you are underway at a few mph and gun it.

I pulled the cover off but nothing seemed wrong on an outward inspection. Could a bad roller wieght(s) cause this?

Oh, I removed the kick start assembly just in case that had something to do with it. It didn't. Although the bushing where the shaft sits in housing opposite the actual foot kick was broken (possibly upon removal).

I can't get the gy6 on the dingo to make any noise like this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rodney

Old 01-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jetmoto 150 cvt noise (gy6)

rodneygt,

Pull the CVT cover, put the quad in the air. See if you can duplicate the noise with the wheels off the ground. It might be a little easier to locate where the noise is coming from if you can duplicate the noise.

I did a rejet on a 150 a few weeks ago that made a high pitched noise either on take off or at high rpms. Kind of sounded like a metal to metal sound, but it turned out to be a wet CVT belt. The owner said it usually happens after he washed the quad. The noise went away after a few passes with the quad.

As for my 150 I have had a metal to metal noise. Mine was a little different. My chain would pop or skip a tooth on the sprockets. The skipping of the chain also had a grinding noise and feel to it. This would happen on a fast take off or when trying to climb a steep hill. Turns out; if there is too much compression on the swing arm, the chain will loosen up enough to skip a tooth. Makes an awful noise. Other than that the only other place to start looking is in that reverse gear box. The gear that is susceptible to breaking is the one that is attached to the sprocket. I would only pull the axle apart as a last resort.

Good Luck.

SB.