Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese Quad post buy pre-ride inspection. Mine is a sunl

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007 | 12:51 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Chinese Quad post buy pre-ride inspection. Mine is a sunl

I bought my son a SUNL 90 about a year ago. I have a strong mechanical background and I'm an electrical engineer so I have the tools to wrench this thing. I have yet to have a problem with his quad other than replacing that garbage battery they put in them. This is what i did to it when I got it home.

1. Pulled all the plastics
2. Took off every nut and bolt on the entire bike and marked where it went
3. Checked all the welds
4. Relocated the top shock mount location further in towards the center of the bike approx. 2 inches.
5. Made sure all bearings had ample lubrication.
6. Drained the motor oil and ran a flush through the motor and replaced it with high grade 4 stroke oil
7. Removed the exhaust
8. Bought and modified a supertrap exhaust without a silencer just an exhaust tip
9. Relocated Carb air intake from a reverse mounted peice of junk to a front mounted k&n air sucking champ
10. Changed the NST sparkplug with a NGK R
11. Installed 3 inch spacers from Raceway atv on all 4 wheels.
12. Installed a set of 8 inch douglas rims with glider paddles on the back and mowhawks in the front.
13. Went front to back puting every nut and bolt back with loctite
14. Relocated every single electrical component after disconnecting them and wrapping them in electrical tape for waterproofing purposes and put them in areas with low heat, decent airflow, and out of the way of any moving parts.
15. Got the bike buttoned back up and it looked completely different.
16. Adjusted the carb for the two simple mods of the exhaust and k&n
17. Done

This thing runs like a bat out of hell!!!! He actually takes my tri-z a little off the line. His is a straight automatic but still it pulls hard. Gets up to about 35 or so. Plenty fast for a 6 year old.

OK RACE STORY TIME- We were in Galveston about a week after I got his bike done. We were cruising around. Mom is over there on the truck reading her book. I pull up to the truck and then here he comes on the 90. Then this guy on a DS650 pulls up with his kid not to far behind him on a Polaris 90. It had some wheels and sounded pretty good. I knew it didn't come like that. He was like nice looking 4 wheeler and super nice trike. I told him thank you and out of no where he was like wanna race? I was like me and you. He said sure. I was like ok. My Z is sleeved, ported, full exhaust, jetted, and geared perfect. We line up after making the kids shut theirs down as to not get in the way of the big kids. HAHA He pulls me off the line for a split second, but then I take off. We raced for about a 1/4 mile and had him by about 7 or 8 bikes. I've been clocked by my buddy who is a deputy sheriff at 79 mph. I knew I had him. We got back to the truck and he was actually cool about it and he told me good run. Then he said how about the kids race?? I look at my wife and she is already shaking her head no. HAHA But, I say ok a short one. I marked off about 200 ft. We got them lined up. Told them to stay straight and to stop if they felt like it. I knew mine wouldn't he laughed and said uhh ok haha. I flaged them. The were neck and neck and the Polaris beat the SUNL by less than 1/2 a bike length. It was actually really really close. The dad was a like yeah I knew it I knew it. So, I was like thats cool good run. But, how much do you have in that thing total?? He did some head figuring and came up with about oh about 3200. I was like hmmm.....I have TOTAL with all the upgrades the bike brand new and even his helmet right under 500. His jaw dropped. His 3200 machine almost got beat by a 500 dollar chinese quad. Then he got a little pissed and was like oh well its still a piece of junk chinese quad. I was like that may be so, but lets look at this. How much do you have in your DS650??? He said oh about 5400. I was like ok well TOTAL once again I have under 1000 in the tri-z. And you and I both know this isn't a piece of junk chinese quad. I laughed and me and my son started riding again and he and his kid sped off in the other direction. HILARIOUS. Don't ever get too cocky out there. hahah Someone with a basket case or just a good deal could put your expensive quad to shame.

Old 01-31-2007 | 04:00 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Welcome to the forum daron! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Great review and Awesome Story!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2007 | 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

Sometimes true stories can be good.I beleive that one.
I dont want my son racin right now but he does like to get down on it.He's nine.
I'm not gonna do all of that on the list,but I do feel need to check major bolts for tightness.I know the wheel lugs could use some loctite.

Not an atv story but my brother pulled my '95 Trooper backards with his '84 4 Runner in some snow one year.His $2400 v/s my $15000.How much it cost dont mean a whole lot.