Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Buying Son's 1st quad....which brand is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Son's 1st quad....which brand is best?

Well its cute that you two are getting along so well, but its not so cute that LuvMyQTRHorse may be misled by someone with a negative opinion of Chinese quads-- and please be aware, I said MAY be misled-- by someone who has probably never owned one. I bought a Kazuma Falcon 90 (Chinese POS, as you may put it) for my daughter over a year ago. She rides the heck outta it. Guess what? It still fires up like the day I bought it, still works fantastic, and the only thing that has failed is the battery. The only other fault is a cracked rear fender, which was 100% MY fault while unloading it one afternoon down by the river. And can you guess what I paid for it? $700 delivered to my door. Try that with one of the "big 5" brands.

Blazer25, Im sorry you consider my post "bickering" while yours is just innocent, good-natured advice.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LuvMy,

There are alot of good Chinese off brand quads for starter quads. Expecially for a 4yo. If you like the pred50 but dont want to spend 2k then look at the Unison Desert cat 50. This is NOT Chinese. They are made by the same company that makes the pred but at about 600-700 less. Very good quad. But if you want even cheaper then look at Racewayatv.com. DO NOT go to any other online atv source because you will get screwed. Raceway is the only online kids atv place that will help you after the sale and you cant find better service. You can call then direct and they will answer any questions you have about anything they carry. I have bought well over a dozen quads from them and all of them have been great. My sons first quad was a Kazuma Meerkat 50. Awsome little quad, very tough, easy to ride and well built. This maybe the best built 50cc Chinese quad you can get and the price is about $400. He rode it for about a year without 1 problem. I think this is the perfect starter quad for a 4-5yo. But then by the time he is 6 he will have outgrown it and you can turn around and sell it for almost what you paid for it. Check them out. You wont see too many complaints about the meerkat50.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ErikTheRed
Well its cute that you two are getting along so well, but its not so cute that LuvMyQTRHorse may be misled by someone with a negative opinion of Chinese quads-- and please be aware, I said MAY be misled-- by someone who has probably never owned one. I bought a Kazuma Falcon 90 (Chinese POS, as you may put it) for my daughter over a year ago. She rides the heck outta it. Guess what? It still fires up like the day I bought it, still works fantastic, and the only thing that has failed is the battery. The only other fault is a cracked rear fender, which was 100% MY fault while unloading it one afternoon down by the river. And can you guess what I paid for it? $700 delivered to my door. Try that with one of the "big 5" brands.

Blazer25, Im sorry you consider my post "bickering" while yours is just innocent, good-natured advice.
I am not trying to mislead anyone. I am a mom who has 2 kids that race & ride quads. I am at the track every weekend and have seen MANY chinese quads around the pit area and on the track. I am around quads ALL THE TIME and I see a lot! I know a lot more about quads then you could ever imagine. I work on maintaining her quad just as much as my husband does. I can adjust a carb, change a piston and rings and replace a clutch. I am not some stupid, uninvolved woman. Oh, by the way - my daughter's "Name Brand" POLARIS PREDATOR 90 went through 80 (yes, 80) races last year and not one breakdown! If that isn't dependablility, I don't know what is! That is why I recommend the Predators!

As far as the "bickering" comment. I was referring to both of our postings - not just yours!

LuvMyQTRHorse - I forgot to tell you - If you purchase a new Polaris, you will receive a free helmet and they will also offer you a FREE riders course for your son! (sorry again for the bickering - this guy is making me mad!) LOL

Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Range Rover

The DRX2 50cc by DRR is a great choice for a young rider. They come 41" wide (very stable)and have won a National title for the last 3 yrs....

http://www.drrinc.com

(DRX2 50 is a 2007 and a DRX50 is a 2006 model)

The only issue would be that it may be a little big for your son.....My son races a DRX50 and he is 4, but not all kids are ready for this type of performance out of a stock machine....Maybe not this time, but keep DRR in mind for a future possibility.

The folks at DRR are second to none...Great product and even better people.... I think you will see a mini 50 from them late in 2007 (wink wink)

The 07 model is $1,999 and comes standard with dual a-arms, 4 wheel disk and MX tire set up. Water cooling is also an option in 2007....and I bet they can be picked up at 44" wide in March (wink wink).... These quads flat out move...Anyone that sees one at the track and is unfamiliar with DRR immediately says "we have to get one of those...what is it" They are less money that the big 4's 50cc quads and are far surperior in every aspect....not even close....IMO

Here is a link that will show a video clip of the DRX50 06' (single a-arm) in action...Scroll down to the bottom left side to find the video link.

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/drr...idetest-06.htm

Just remember--Get a helmet, chest protector and a neck roll as mandatory pieces of equipment (MX boots would also be a wise choice)...If you get en entry level quad just make sure to check all the bolts and watch it closely to make sure it doesn't cause a safety issue...

My buddy has a $500 Red Cat 50 and loves it.....runs good and was inexpensive.....but it also is limited in suspension...but was a great beginner quad due to it's small size and cost...

Good luck in your search..

Old 02-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: ErikTheRed
I really dont understand some of you people. You read posts and make replies in a forum all about so-called "off brand" quads, just to tell people the "off brand" quads are complete junk and to stay FAR away. I just dont understand. If you think these quads are such garbage, then why do you spend so much time perusing these pages and reading about them? Do you feel you're doing your social duty by warning the uninformed masses of the perils and pitfalls of such crappy products? Saving our souls from the tumultuous termoil associated with buying/owning one of these embarassments to the quad world? Its no secret that the Chinese-built ATV's dont compare in quality and performance to their Japanese counterparts. BUT! (and heres the interesting part, so pay attention)...... neither do the PRICES! As difficult as it may be for some of you to understand, some people cant afford $5,000 machines for each member of their family. Some pepple must consider the very small portion of their budgets that can be contributed to family fun. Some people may not be overly concerned with having to perform alittle routine maintenance or deal with an occasional broken part. To those people, the Chinese ATV market appeals greatly. Me, for example. I simply cannot rationalize $15,000 in quads for my family of four when $3500 could accomplish the same thing. We're not racers, we're not jumpers, or trick riders, and none of us have a death wish. Also, Im not afraid of a wrench or getting grease under my fingernails. I dont even have sons. For us, the enjoyment of putting around on trails for an afternoon and stopping off at fishing holes or to take a dip in the river is fantastic fun, and its fun these Chinese quads can deliver for many years.

So yes, Chinese ATV's have their limits. But to announce blanket statements like "those are complete crap" is a testiment to beligerance. They have their place, they have their price, and for many of us, those are good enough.
I agree (BUY DA GIOVANNI 50cc)
( NO PROB,S ever and only like $450)
(Very safe with OEM and with trans.)

Old 02-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my son an 05 Eton 90r, and have been very pleased with it so far. It was the only bike at the time that had brakes good enough that he could stop without a struggle. (4 years old) It also has good suspension feel for a small rider. It comes with an adjustable CDI so you can turn down the rev limiter to decrease the maximum speed, and a throttle limiter. The reverse wasnt important at first, but now that he has some experience, I have showed him how it works, and is quite handy. It also has a wireless remote, so I can shut the bike off at any time from about 100 yards away. He is now 5 and 1/2, and I have turned the CDI up 2 notches, and given him some more throttle, and he is doing great! He should be able to ride the bike for years to come as I continue to turn it up for him as his skills increase. The bike has enough power turned all the way up for it to be fun for me (210lbs). The only thing I have done to the bike in 2 years is put a chain tensioner on it since it didnt come with one.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

LuvMy,

I have 3 name brand quads and two Chinese quads with my third one on the way. My 5 year old son rides a Kazuma Meerkat 50 and that thing has been a good quad, almost flawless. For safety it has a rear tether that the parent can use to kill the quad if the youngster gets out of control. Another feature you will see on a lot of Chinese quads is a remote kill switch on a key chain. I could not afford the price of the name brand quads for my little one. And I am glad I bought my son the Meerkat. It has been just as reliable as a Jap quad, and my son is just as happy with it. Like 2manytoys said though, if you are going to buy Chinese, buy from Raceway. After dealing with John and seeing how much customer service means to him, I will never buy from anyone else. As for my Redcat 150, it is my 14 year old son's and it still runs like the day I bought it. Just keep up on the maintenance, and the Chinese quads will be just as reliable as a name brand.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for all the info! I really appreciate it. I'm going to check out Raceway but I'm a little nervous if I did happen to get one from there without having my little guy sit on it and check out foot pegs and stuff. But I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'll scope them out.
I hope you guys know how nice I think it is that you've taken the time to post and give me different options and opinions!
Charlotte

Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

Still no further discussion of the DRR??? Did you guys check out that link I posted to the article and video? That was 06 model, that didn't have all the upgrades (Add dual a-rms, new shocks, MX tire set up, braided brake line, 4 wheel disk brakes and clutch and tranny mods---also now with water cooling option and optional 44" width as opposed to the std 41" width)

It seems to be one of the best quads that is overlooked in this kids forum board area???

I am amazed at this......It is without a doubt one of the best 50cc quads on the market in performance(by far) and reliability

How can a company like this, win 3 National Championships in a row (in the stock class) and still not get their dues?

When I go to the track I see DRXs everywhere and when I post here I don't see a word about them?

Also---Those redcat/meerkat 50s are good for the low cost...they also come with issues, such the non existent suspension and poor tire set up.....Plenty of motor as you shift throught the gears, but not much in the dept of handling that power which was my primary concern.....wheels spacers do help with stability.

The best bike is usually the one with the best suspension (or has a system that is upgradable) as this will allow the child to handle the atv the best and raise the comfort level of the riding experience and be safer at the same time.

One more thing---If you have a local dealer you should support them first.....It is tough enough to run a business nowadays and maintain a storefront, only to lose out to an online only store.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

my son has 110 mini-ute from race way, hes had it for six months of good riding. by that i mean he rides around 30-50 miles a week-end most of the time. he rides a lot of forrest trails or groomed trails were big ruts isn't an issue but tall hill climbs are. the little quad has had a few problems but nothing that couldnt be fixed rather simple. when i got it i lock-tited all the bolts and such, and has been good. the only thing that i modified was the air filter, i snorkled it b/c everytime he hit a mud puddle it would get wet. it actually looks pretty cool. yes if i had the money it would have been a trx90 but im poor, so i did what i could so my son could enjoy atving along with family and friends. dont get me wrong they are not a honda ,but your kid will have fun and be safe. good luck.

Quick Reply: Buying Son's 1st quad....which brand is best?