Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Buying Son's 1st quad....which brand is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Son's 1st quad....which brand is best?

Hi Eveyone!
I'm hoping someone can offer some input. This summer I'll be looking to purchase my son's first quad. He'll be four next month and he's been riding his powerwheels for two years. I looked at a Polaris 50cc but they wanted $2k! Someone recommended a Sun L which I've never heard of. Anyone have any opinions on which brand is the best for the money? Thanks in advance!
Charlotte

Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well 1 thing about this section you'll see atv names you've never heard from before if your kid is worth more than 500.00 bucks to you which i'am sure he is lol start looking at all the oem manufactiers and even kymco and eton there built for safety and for the long haul no need for so many repair's but the biggest thing is safety.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

I would recommend the Predator 50. You can get them cheaper than $2000. Shop for a new 2006. The dealers are wanting to get rid of them. I have seen them advertised for $1400 in my local Auto/motorcycle/rv trader. If you can't front the money, you can finance them for $39/month.

Don't go with an off brand, you will not get the quality and dependablilty of a brand name. The off brands may be cheap when you buy them, but then you end up paying for them in the long run (every time they break down.)

Purchase a name brand quad - you won't regret it!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get a giovanni 50cc from ebay canada ( get it from allstarsellars ). I got mine from ebay Canada for $488 cad.
It goes 50km/h and has a speed goverener that lowers it to down to 5 km/h.
If safeties first some come with a shut-down remote and all come with a safety tether and that have a safe place for your feet to go. This is a no problem quad. They have a cvt (continuous variable trans.) and a oem 3.5P 50cc engine.
I have run into no problems and it runs perfect, i have never stalled it and have ridden it for over 20 hours.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

I really dont understand some of you people. You read posts and make replies in a forum all about so-called "off brand" quads, just to tell people the "off brand" quads are complete junk and to stay FAR away. I just dont understand. If you think these quads are such garbage, then why do you spend so much time perusing these pages and reading about them? Do you feel you're doing your social duty by warning the uninformed masses of the perils and pitfalls of such crappy products? Saving our souls from the tumultuous termoil associated with buying/owning one of these embarassments to the quad world? Its no secret that the Chinese-built ATV's dont compare in quality and performance to their Japanese counterparts. BUT! (and heres the interesting part, so pay attention)...... neither do the PRICES! As difficult as it may be for some of you to understand, some people cant afford $5,000 machines for each member of their family. Some pepple must consider the very small portion of their budgets that can be contributed to family fun. Some people may not be overly concerned with having to perform alittle routine maintenance or deal with an occasional broken part. To those people, the Chinese ATV market appeals greatly. Me, for example. I simply cannot rationalize $15,000 in quads for my family of four when $3500 could accomplish the same thing. We're not racers, we're not jumpers, or trick riders, and none of us have a death wish. Also, Im not afraid of a wrench or getting grease under my fingernails. I dont even have sons. For us, the enjoyment of putting around on trails for an afternoon and stopping off at fishing holes or to take a dip in the river is fantastic fun, and its fun these Chinese quads can deliver for many years.

So yes, Chinese ATV's have their limits. But to announce blanket statements like "those are complete crap" is a testiment to beligerance. They have their place, they have their price, and for many of us, those are good enough.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ErikTheRed
I really dont understand some of you people. You read posts and make replies in a forum all about so-called "off brand" quads, just to tell people the "off brand" quads are complete junk and to stay FAR away. I just dont understand. If you think these quads are such garbage, then why do you spend so much time perusing these pages and reading about them? Do you feel you're doing your social duty by warning the uninformed masses of the perils and pitfalls of such crappy products? Saving our souls from the tumultuous termoil associated with buying/owning one of these embarassments to the quad world? Its no secret that the Chinese-built ATV's dont compare in quality and performance to their Japanese counterparts. BUT! (and heres the interesting part, so pay attention)...... neither do the PRICES! As difficult as it may be for some of you to understand, some people cant afford $5,000 machines for each member of their family. Some pepple must consider the very small portion of their budgets that can be contributed to family fun. Some people may not be overly concerned with having to perform alittle routine maintenance or deal with an occasional broken part. To those people, the Chinese ATV market appeals greatly. Me, for example. I simply cannot rationalize $15,000 in quads for my family of four when $3500 could accomplish the same thing. We're not racers, we're not jumpers, or trick riders, and none of us have a death wish. Also, Im not afraid of a wrench or getting grease under my fingernails. I dont even have sons. For us, the enjoyment of putting around on trails for an afternoon and stopping off at fishing holes or to take a dip in the river is fantastic fun, and its fun these Chinese quads can deliver for many years.

So yes, Chinese ATV's have their limits. But to announce blanket statements like "those are complete crap" is a testiment to beligerance. They have their place, they have their price, and for many of us, those are good enough.

LuvMyQTRHorse asked for some input and I gave him mine. I don't even go into the threads about the "Junk" quads because I don't want to read about them. This is the Kids ATV forum I have 3 kids ATVs and therefore look in these forums for threads related to them.

I did not force my opinion down his throat, he asked for it. Does he have to take my advice? NO! But I gave it to him because that is how I feel. My daughter raced 80 races last year and I rarely saw a "junk" quad make it through the checkered flag because they fall apart on the track. I also see the disappointment of the child on the track when they can't even finish a race. That same disappointment can come from breakdowns in trail riding too. You spend the money to take them riding and their machine breaks down. What fun is that? I am trying to help someone from going through the "Hassles" of a quad that falls apart all the time. Is that such a bad thing?

I realize not everyone can afford a name brand quad, that is why I told him to shop around for a good deal. He could also purchase a gently used one. Spending a little more up front will save money for him in the long run. It will also keep a child and a dad from getting upset and frustrated every time the thing breaks down.

You are welcome to give him your opinion, but don't knock me for giving mine - he asked for it!

To LuvMyQTRHorse: I am sorry for the bickering in your thread. Please feel free to take whatever advice you wish. I posted my opinion with your best interest at heart.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your advice, everyone! I've done some research on the "Big" name brands and I'm trying to find out about the lesser known ones. I didn't think there were so many out there! Keep those opinions coming!

Blazer25...he is a she! LOL! But seriously, I've already looked at a Predator 50 at the same place my husband bought me my Trail Boss. Did I say mine????? That's what he told me when he bought it so I could have it to make my barn chores easier! The guys at the Polaris dealer cracked up when we looked at the Predator and they asked me how I liked my new atv!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

Well LuvMyQTRHorse - We have a lot in common. I am a "She" too. My husband also bought a Trailboss for "ME" LOL. Anyhow, I did have only your best interests at heart when I made my post. I am sorry it started some bickering. Good luck in your decision!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't apologize Blazer25.....this is my son we're talking about and the more I know, the better I'll feel about making a decision. Is there anyplace that takes these different brands and rates them side by side so I can take a look at safety, quality issues, etc?

And I bet you actually ride your Trail Boss, right? I know where mine is but he uses it more than I do. He's trying to talk me into a smaller one but I prefer the four legged horsepower. But we're all havin' and taking care of the same trails!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

I hate to say it, but word of mouth is probably best. If you look hard enough, you can find a good deal on a new quad. Dealers are going to hate me for saying this, but for the best price you have to play the dealers against each other. That is the best way to get the best price. Like I said, I have seen the 2006 Predator 50's advertised for $1400. You can also buy slightly used.

I don't know about safety features on other quads, but I can tell you what the Predator has. It has the elevated foot rests for smaller kids that can be removed when they start to grow. It has a throttle limiter, wrist tether and rear tether (which the adult controls.) This quad (along with other models) come stock with a CDI jumper (which slows the quad WAY DOWN.) It would be good for when your son first starts riding. When you feel he is comfortable with the speed, 2 screws will remove that jumper and then you can start adjusting the throttle screw to control the speed.

My son has been riding his since he was 3. He is now 5 and it is still a great little quad for him. He loves to ride it.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Quick Reply: Buying Son's 1st quad....which brand is best?