Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

QH200ST HI-BIRD

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

I JUST BOUGHT THIS QUAD IT'S AWESOME THE WAY IT COMPARES TO HIGH END NAME BRANDS IT HAS THE EXACT SAME ENGINE AS MY OLD HONDA 200M. THE ONLY THING IS I THING THE VALVES NEED ADJUSTED? WHEN IT GETS HOT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS A SPARK KNOCK BUT ONLY WHEN IT'S BEEN RIDDEN FOR AN HOUR OR TWO. IF ANYONE COULD HELP IT WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

i bought 2 of the same quads in jan 2007 and had the same spark knock with each. ibelieve to have solved prob with adjusting valve clearance. write back if you still need help

Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

Do you have the adjusment spcs for the valves on this? Is the procedure the same? I need to adjust mine. Getting some noise same as the thread starter was and the same way.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

Welcome to the Hi-Bird owner's club ... now I wish I could just get over being embarassed about the NAME!

There are a couple of long threads here in the forum about the machine, they should be easy to find with a search. It is time for me to adjust the valves on mine, too, so I gotta get serious about learning the procedure.

Here is a link to a web site I wrote about my whole experience with this machine, from shopping/ordering through riding and dealing with minor initial problems. It's not a quick read, but I hope you get a laugh or 2 along the way. I should go ahead and update it now with what has happened since (nothing major) , but I'm not likely to get to it soon.

http://users.wildblue.net/thearbees/nado/PD.htm

Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

I HAVE NOT YET ADJUSTED MY VALVES. I FIGURED IT'S UNDER WARRANTY SO GIVE'ER HELL HAS NOT BROKE YET BUT NOW THERE IS NICER WEATHER I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT DONE ASAP DO YOU KNOW THE LASH IF SO THAT WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

i set mine @ .002 (.05mm) and seems to be fine after about 12 hrs of pretty hard riding. i don't know what the true specs are, but they were adjusted so tight (on both of my quads )from the factory its a wonder they would even run. its actually a simple procedure, remove the front plastic and gas tank, to get to the valve cover. remove the spark plug, remove the valve cover (careful not to damage the gasket). set the piston @ tdc on compression stroke, this parts a little tricky i used a drinking straw with marks on it , stuck it in the spark plug hole, with the bike in gear rolled the bike until it was at the highest point on compression stroke. then just loosen the the locking nuts and set adjusters using a feelers gauge. you will probably have to hold the adjuster screw with a small cresant wrench when you tighten the locking nut to keep them from turning. after i did this, it was almost like it doubled the power.
hope this is helpful to you.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

NO I DO NOT HAVE THE LASH FOR THE VALVES IF YOU FIND OUT PLEASE PASS IT ALONG IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS

Old 05-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

Yeah it is funny after about an hour of riding it almost sounds like metal rattling but only when you get on the throttle a little so I am retty sure it is the valves. I have adjusted the carb so that is good and I fixed the leaking carb issue with a little float tang adjustment and I just need to check and adjust the valves.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

XavierOnasis
GREAT web site. The write up is not too wordy, and you maje excellent points regarding ANY purchase where "some assembly required" is in the description.
I ambuying a JM150 for my son, and I am sure your tips will prove veryy useful.
Thanks for the well written review!

Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default QH200ST HI-BIRD

Thanks. It was fun.

Quick Reply: QH200ST HI-BIRD