Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

'05 Scrammy taking on water, but not like what I've read about on here....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Scrammy taking on water, but not like what I've read about on here....

My friend has an '05 Scrammy that takes water on into the air box. The thing is...this happens with water that is not very deep, about 4". We like to hit the puddles fast, or zip through a mud puddle. Problems is that he can't hit any water with any speed or he soaks the air filter. This has happened since it was brand new, he just got it last year. When this 1st happened within the 1st 15 min of riding the thing we pulled off the air box lid and found not only the water, but the seal was laying 1/2 inside the box and the other 1/2 in the lid...so ok there's the problem. Got a new seal, made sure it's in there correctly and the SAME problem happens. So, go to a Uni filter with outter wear...SAME THING. The water appears to be coming from the snorkle in the air box lid. The drain hose for the airbox has the plug in it, so no other way can I see it getting in. The carb boots are on securely and no gaps, this seems to be located in the airbox. There are no cracks or holes in it...nothing seems wrong.

I'm at a loss at this point on how to correct this. This is unacceptable and it bothers me as I'm looking at a brand new '06 for myself for $5300. Good deal you think? Anyway, if this is something that just has to be lived with, I don't want the machine. Funny thing is, the Trailblazer and Scrambler have almost the same air box set ups. My wife's TB does NOT do this. Now, I see a little piece of gray foam right under the gas tank on the Scrammy that is a bit below the snorkel. I think this could possibly be the cause of the problem. I think this may be keeping the water from falling right back down when it splashes up AND the suction from the snorkle is sucking water right out of it and into the air box. This piece of foam is always soaking wet when this happens...could it be? Of course the simple solution would be to remove it and try it again. Thing is...if I'm going to get this '06 I have to get it on Sat or may lose the quad as he's reserved it for me. There is no time to test out my theory by Sat. I'm hoping someone knows exactly what's going on and provide the simple fix. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Has anyone seen this issue? I could see and fully understand it if we were talking about deep water here, but it's laughingly shallow for this to happen. I would like to have this '06 Scrammy as the Scrammy is the only quad that falls into what I want w/o being a ute. But, this problem sure makes me think 3 times about it.