Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

atv for a 5yr old ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv for a 5yr old ?

I'm not only new to this forum but also to atv ownership. My son is 5, and I was thinking about getting him a 4 wheeler. I am a little afraid of the chinese ones so I am thinking about a yamaha moto 4 80-cc that i found used. Its a deal i dont think i can pass up. Of course i am worried it will be too much for him. i also have an 8 yr old girl who i'm sure could ride it. Im thinking that if i set the throttle back and give him the right gear and training he will do ok with it. obviously we would have to start him very very slow and in the yard. he has a power wheels car that he is pretty good with...i realize that isnt the same but i figure its a good start. any feedback is appreciated.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Range Rover

I think that's a good choice... You cant go wrong with the name brand stuff... If for some reason that deal doesn't work out for you... Don't be afraid of the china atv's... Esp for a 5yr old... I have had my son's 70cc for 2yrs, and it still runs good... It even pulls the both of us around pretty good... I posted a video a few days back showing him riding it this past Saturday.. I also have the speed turned down, and I made some wheel spacers for it... Here is a link to the video..

70cc atv video

Raceway sells the same atv, but a newer model. Here is the link for it.

70cc atv from raceway

Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Range Rover

the 80 can be a good starter machine if you make sure that the throttle is turned way down and the machine is only used in first gear while he is learning how to ride it. you can purchase a hand lever (like on the Raptor 50) and replace the foot shifter so that you can keep him from shifting the gears. I would also recommend wheel spacers to make the machine more stable, especially for a new rider. The frame on the moto4 is also one of the larger on the minis and will allow him use it for a longer period of time without out-growing. The yamaha moto4/champ/badger/raptor family has been around a long time and is a very dependable machine, is easy to get parts and service for and has numerous after market parts available.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to get it this weekend. I figure I cant lose on this one. Worst case senario he cant ride it yet and I keep it for him for later or sell it and get something smaller. thanks again for your input.