Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids ATV, I bought my kids a cheap Chinese Quad.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids ATV, I bought my kids a cheap Chinese Quad.

They picked that name cause they where trying to sound like Raceway ATV hoping it would get them more buisness.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigborehonda20

They picked that name cause they where trying to sound like Raceway ATV hoping it would get them more buisness.</end quote></div>

Thats what I figured also.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

cmott, I am familiar with Loncin engines because I got a 70cc loncin ATV for my daughter. Indeed, I'm quite impressed with the powertrain on this thing. I really doubt that it's Honda quality, but the engine does seem to be pretty solid. I was riding it very wildly and ended up rolling it pretty hard. I had to replace the starter after that and clean out the carb, but it's still going strong now.

Besides the powertrain, I would say the little quad is made mostly of pretty crappy parts, however. The frame has been solid so far, but some of those welds look pretty cheap. The exhaust and suspension are pretty junky, but they work. The rear axle also was not aligned properly. The chain is just shitty too. Still, I payed a ridiculously low price for this quad (quads are soooo expensive in Canada). I guess the key is whether you can get parts from your dealer easily and if the prices are good on parts. I think that is the main thing with these chinese quads: If you can't get parts, they become "junk" quickly. If parts are easy to get, then the quad seems more worthwhile somehow.

Anyway, good luck with your quads. Hopefully, this guy you got the quads from has better customer service than in the past...

OffRoadNoob

Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

Like I said in the Title "I bought a cheap Chinese quad" I know what I am getting into. As far as parts go there are tons of these machines out there and web pages full of info on these bikes. 90% are all the same, just with about 50 different names. Also if you read where I stated my reasons for getting a "Cheap" one, you would understand why I only wanted to pay what I did.

The Polaris "Youth" quads are also made in china and imported. Yes they are a better quality (I have 2 full size Polaris) and also with a much higher price tag. Like I said, I was looking for something cheap to see if they would like it.

Rightway. I searched and they had the best prices and their web pages had all the info I was looking for. It was like rolling the dice and choosing a place to buy. I'm sure I could have had a good or bad experience with any web site. Not everyone is perfect. I had NO problems with them, everything went smooth. I got what I wanted, color, size, everything that I was expecting.

I am not saying the bike is better then a brand name and I never expected it to be. But I am very satisfied with what I have so far.....again as stated before.... time will tell.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cmott426
I ordered my kids (2 girls, ages 10 and 12) an ATV from this web site.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rightwayatv.com/detail.cfm?id=482
">http://www.rightwayatv.com/detail.cfm?id=482
</a>
It was shipped FREE to my door in about 2 weeks.
Now I know it is a Chinese Honda clone, and not a well known brand. So before I get slammed for not buying a Polaris, Honda, Yamaha, etc, let me explain why I went this rout.
1) I wasn't sure if they would like their own. So I didn't want to spend a lot of money right away.
2) I only get to see them roughly 6 weeks total in a year. The bike will most likely be stored for months at a time.
3) I don't think they will be too rough on it. So I wasn't concerned about it not being strong enough for them. If they where 16 year old boys then I would buy a better known brand.
Now why did I choose this one?
1) Price. At the time it was $599 with free shipping to my door. They are now $559.
2) Looks. I think it looks awesome.
3) 107 cc's I wanted it big enough so they wouldn't out grow it too soon.
4) Automatic. I think it is a lot like the Polaris.
5) Throttle limiter, safety tether, and wireless remote start and stop!
6) Disk rear brake.
7) Tail /brake light. Head lights
8) Nice big bumpers.
So after 2 weeks (13 days) of waiting, it arrived without a hitch. It was on a pallet and the truck driver pulled it out on the lift gate and he made sure there was no damage and I was happy with the package. It was in a metal framed crate with printed cardboard covering it. I clipped the bands and opened up the box, it was the color I ordered, Silver. I ordered silver for a neutral color because it may be handed down to my 5 year old nephew. A few items needed to be assembled, handlebars, wheels & tires, front and rear bumpers. The battery also needed to be filled and charged. It took about an hour to get it all put together and about 5 stabs at the starter button before it was purring like a kitten.
After checking all the bolts and making sure everything was working I had to give it a go. I was in my garage with the throttle limiter set from the factory, with my knees almost hitting the bars, I hit the throttle as far as it would go. I was heading for the back wall before I knew it. I grabbed the brake and came to a skidding halt just in time. WOW! That was Awesome! Next step was to try it with out the throttle limiter. This thing will lift the front tires off the ground and power slides are really easy. I have to lean way forward to get it to turn otherwise it will go strait as the front tires don't have much weight on them. I am 5'11" and about 180 lbs and it scoots me along at about 25 mph.
We let them watch the safety video that came with my wife's trailblazer. We bought them new helmets and goggles so they would be safe enough to ride. We need to get them some better shoes/boots. I put the throttle limiter back on and adjusted it to where it was safe for them to ride. After a few instructions and some seat time in the front yard here is the results. They did great for not ever being on something with a gas motor before.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://community.webshots.com/album/559514725CjSBqK?vhost=community
">http://community.webshots.com/...vhost=community
</a>
Hits and misses:
<u>Overall Quality: 6.</u> It was made in China. The welds are not all the pretty, but do function...so far time will tell. From what I have read the Loncin engine is just as reliable as the Honda, again time will tell. The plastic is a good quality and it even was shipped with protective wrapping for the decals and lights. Every thing works, even the remote start and stop, (turns the engine on and off, not the brakes).
<u>Overall Appearance: 8.</u> I think it looks great.
<u>Size: 6.</u> It is smaller than I was hoping. It did say it was made for 6 to 11 year olds.
<u>Power and Performance: 9.</u> It has plenty of power and will accelerate quickly even with me on it. No reverse, witch is fine for young kids.
<u>Suspension: 5.</u> The rear shock is a joke, NO dampening. The front is much nicer with the dual A-arms. I had to flip the shocks over so the oil would be in the travel of the piston. Otherwise the front didn't have any dampening either. I flipped the rear but still nothing.
<u>Brakes: 7.</u> Rear disk brake with hand lever and parking brake. No front brakes. I would guess this is for safety. I can see them flipping over the bars.
Conclusion:
Yes I would buy another one. In fact we are thinking about getting the next size up. For the price it is way more then what I expected. I could buy 5 of these compared to a Polaris 90. Some will say "Good luck! It will most likely break in a week". Like I said, time will tell.</end quote></div>

It's good that you are satisfied with your purchase. I looked at the Chinquads a lot prior to buying the Suzuki for our grandson. I have to disagree with you conclusion about the brakes however. One of the major reasons I did not buy one of the cheep brands was because of no front brakes. My reasoning on this is having a rear brake only puts the child at extreme risk if trying to stop while going downhill and especially on wet grass or mud. The front brakes on quads provide a major share of the stopping power due to weight transfer and, IMO, are a vital safety item.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tencubed
One of the major reasons I did not buy one of the cheep brands was because of no front brakes. My reasoning on this is having a rear brake only puts the child at extreme risk if trying to stop while going downhill and especially on wet grass or mud. </end quote></div>

Another reason to have front brakes is....if you are going up an incline....and start rolling backwards, if you hit the rear brake, you'll flip the ATV over on yourself.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

We are looking into one of these quads for our four year old son. My better half is an excellent rider and our son is bugging for a battery operated quad from wal-mart. We have started shoping around and saw these quads on-line. We were especially impressed with the automatic shut-off from 30 feet away. Our little guy is already a dare-devil and we like the parental controls. (I can only handle his dad getting busted-up) Our concern is the review from the others about the dealer, do you know of any other dealers? Thanks for your insight? What about the welds? I know the little guy will have his dad talked into little jumps before he is 4 yrs and 2 months, and I do not want the thing to fall apart.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mrs. Banshee

We are looking into one of these quads for our four year old son. My better half is an excellent rider and our son is bugging for a battery operated quad from wal-mart. We have started shoping around and saw these quads on-line. We were especially impressed with the automatic shut-off from 30 feet away. </end quote></div>

DO NOT be swayed by what the online sellers say! Many of these online dealers are nothing more than low quality Chinese junk dealers who will leave you hanging when you need parts or service. They will take your money then ignore you. If you must buy the very cheapest, I suggest you get a Kazuma or Jetmoto from Raceway. Stay far away from BMX, Freedom Scooter, SUNL, AA Eagle, Legion Global, and anything on EBAY.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

we are not sold on any thing yet. Do you have direct links to the ones that you have sugessted. At this time, we really like the remote kill switch. We are not really going the cheapest route, but we want him to learn and then we can move on to better bikes. For what we would pay for the chinese bike we could throw it out next year or two and it would be worth it. What do you think about the KYMCO ATVs? We have a dealler close bye. We looked at them today and we could buy three of the chinese quads for what one of these cost and the little guy will grow out of it and want a cooler bike by then.
I guess after joining this web site, we are having difficulies deciding. What is your iimput on the safety issues? We know about the lack of front brakes on chinese bikes. the little guy will not be riding trails or hill climbs, he will be in the field out back. More websites would be apreciated, so we can do more research.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

Mrs. Banshee.
It looks like I bought this little atv for the same reasons.

"but we want him to learn and then we can move on to better bikes. For what we would pay for the chinese bike we could throw it out next year or two and it would be worth it."

The remote stop works! I tested it yesterday from about 50 feet.

KYMCO is one of the top names in Chinese brands.

Quick Reply: Kids ATV, I bought my kids a cheap Chinese Quad.