Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

05 Eton 90 bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Eton 90 bogging down

Runs fine with manual choke half open..when off it bogs down. Fuel flow is fine. What could be the problem?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like its starving for fuel..Clean the carb,especially the jets,check the filter as well...The 05s seemed to have a lot of troubles with clogged spark arrestors in the tail pipe so check that as well.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks..I've never taken apart a carb, but I'm pretty mechanical. Is it a tough job? Do I take the carb off the ATV and then disassemble? How do you actually clean the jets? Spark arrestor has been off since the first month..lol I've read that the pipe should be cleaned as well...would this be a cause? How would the pipe be cleaned? Sorry for all the questions.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Trailblazer

Our 04 Viper 90 is doing the same thing. I don't dare take it to the dealer, made that mistake once. Won't do it again. Before we got it fixed the first time, it was the cdi all along. Dealer said it was carb problems sothey jacked with it. Now that it is running after cdi box, when it gets started, we have to shoot it with carb cleaner and it will finally start running. So is this something that we need to replace or rebuild? The carb? Today when we went to start it just to be starting it, it wasnt getting fuel, as we could see in the filter. Shoot it with the carb cleaner, throttle it, let it rev as much as we cold before it would die, shoot it again, throttle, adn after a few times, it finally went OK!!!! And was running good, maybe as if the carb cleaner finally got out whatever was in there. Are Eton's just that bad in getting stuff in where it doesnt belong????????? We never had to mess with the carb until agter we got it back from dealer...........

Old 07-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a eton 90 for my son that had the CVT lock up and wouldn't go ,would start but couldn't pull it's own weight ,cleaned the CVTand worked fine

Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have a eton 90 too ,, very happy with it and my son rides hard he's 9 and loves the mud

sounds to me like you need to remove the pilot jet and clean it out with a small wire, carb cleaner won't do it . make sure your air filter is clean and dry and your airbox is sealed good too the carb is easy to work on theres not much in there just remove the carb flip it over and pull the bowl off both jets are in there, the pilot is recessed in a hole and is harder to see it has a super small hole and thats what controls idle and 0-1/4 throttle check that and post again

rich

Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 2 Eton viper 90. I had a bad tank of gas sideline them and my quad and both my mowers. Expensive summer. What it the best way to remove my carb from the quad? remove air filter box and tube and pull out through the side? Just want to make sure I do not break anything taken it out. First time removing and cleaning carb on anything. Brought Vipers to a shop and they must have just soaked it to get it running. One won't start again and neither have power up hills when they do run. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by theplayer
Runs fine with manual choke half open..when off it bogs down. Fuel flow is fine. What could be the problem?
Can we go back to the original problem... I am brand new to the forum, and I just bought a viper 90 with the same problem (works only with choke at half position), and the previous owner just put a brand new carb on it. mine runs good with the choke at half, but bogs down when turning sharp or up slight hills. theplayer, did you find a fix?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by syphen641
Can we go back to the original problem... I am brand new to the forum, and I just bought a viper 90 with the same problem (works only with choke at half position), and the previous owner just put a brand new carb on it. mine runs good with the choke at half, but bogs down when turning sharp or up slight hills. theplayer, did you find a fix?
If the owner just put a new carb on chances are he has never tuned it. Check and replace the spark plug if needed and tune the carb.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the response. i have checked the spark plug. done. checked gas, good flow. no spark arrestor, so i took off the exhaust and blew it out with compressed air. I sealed up the stalk air filter box. done. definitely agree it seams like its starving for gas, so I played with the air/fuel mixture screw (which is turned out 5 full turns by the way) and ajusting any further in or out messes it up worse... hmm...i might take the carb off and tear it apart even though it is brand new. like i said it runs great on half choke when on flat. it's powerful. but as soon as i make a tight turn or up a hill it bogs down. thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: 05 Eton 90 bogging down