Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

HELP What protective gear should 5 year olds wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP What protective gear should 5 year olds wear

Hi Everyone.

We just purchased 2 50cc BMS quads for our twins who turn 5 in three weeks. We plan on them riding around our camp site when we go camping and maybe taking them with us on some easy trails. What kind of gear should we get for them? what brand/style etc. I assume it should all have proper hard knee and elbow pads. We don't have a clue so any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks so much

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

If U take a look at my picture page U can see that we started my boy with hiking boots, riding gear, gloves, and a helmet. As time went on we starting buying more and more for him especially after he started racing. Up until recently everytime he would ride he would have on full MX boots, riding gear, chest protector, neck roll, gloves, SNELL rated helmet and goggles. Protective gear worn last series

Currently we are ready to start our new race series and with my increased attitude for safety and having a 9yr old we know suffer a fatal neck break I have stepped up and ordered a Leatt neck brace along with Rockgardn body armor $$$spendy for the brace and armor combo but 100% worth it for Safety in my book!

We plan on passing our old gear off to some of the other kids who don't have much at the track. Which if U hook up with some other racers is a good way to trade gear that no longer fits. Hope this helps U a little.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much I looked at your photos (he's so cute especially in all his gear) Do you know of a site on line to purchase this stuff from I tried searching but didn't get very far.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum Gabbie[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I would agree with the above post. I think that hiking boots are better suited to the little guys than full MX boots at a earlier age. You could toss in a chest protector also.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

chest protector and helmet is what my boy wears, you can get the chest protector from e-bay for a good deal, that is where we got our sons, the helmet can come from e-bay as well, oh he wears goggles as well, again e-bay. on the chest protector we got a pee-wee one and a small or x-small, the pee-wee fits him best, he will grow into the other I guess, he is 5 now and turns 6 in December, he started wearing them just after he turned 5 or maybe alittle before

Old 08-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

E-bay and Rocky Mtn Atv a site sponsor here.

I always check prices there first then head into my local parts house and compare prices and try on for size(local parts house does wonder why we try alot and not buy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

My first post I realized might of been a little overwelming, becuase I think U can never have too much safety gear. But yes a good starting point is hiking boots, chest protector from one of the above, and most important of all is a decent SNELL rated helmet, I hate to say it but if it is under $50 new it might not be the best hemet to protect their valuable brains(valuable till they become teenagers atleast[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

some don't have their children, but I have seen my son hit a tree and he came up off the seat into the handle bars, this is very important in my opinion, at first I did not think he needed a chest protector, thinking it was going to be ok, then he hit the tree and I rethought it, since then he has fallen off while on the trails and it helps when they fall on their back as well. I'm just posting this to let others know, if there is any thinking like I was before. CHEST PROTECTORS ARE VERY IMPORTANT, as well as a good helmet and goggles, the boots and other stuff like gloves are good as well, my son likes his gloves, he says it helps his thumb from hurting, I don't know if it does of if he just thinks it looks cool, but he wears them. I agree that regular hiking boots are fine for starting, my son wears shoes still, but boots will be in his future I am sure.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you all so much, we just purchased the full helmet from the store we got the quads from and goggles and are going to get the chest protectors too. I agree that you cannot be too careful. We also have elbow and knee pads that we are thinking they should wear too.

Thanks for all your help and advice I really appreciate it.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

our grandkids use is just a helmets,goggles and gloves. they are 8 and 9 now and been riding atv's for 4 years now. i would not over protect the kids, i would not waste money on chest protectors and boots, they are not racing these chinese atv's they just out riding for fun.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: billl2099

i would not over protect the kids, i would not waste money on chest protectors and boots, they are not racing these chinese atv's they just out riding for fun.</end quote></div>

It is a personal choice on how much protection to put on them, and I respect that. And I agree, don't load them down too much. However I don't think chest protectors are a waste of money. You dress for the crash. Only you can tell how aggressive they ride, or how safe your riding area is. I like to see my kids in a minimum of Chest Protectors, Helmet, Goggles. If they are riding their dirt bikes, then throw in MX Boots. If they Race or ride a MX track, throw in neck protection too.

Quick Reply: HELP What protective gear should 5 year olds wear