Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

trouble starting 100 cc (chinese)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trouble starting 100 cc (chinese)

I just got the atv for my son and it runs fine when i get it started but im new to these and have a couple of Questions. It seems to be getting to much gas. Ive narrowed it down to a couple of things after reading other threads. If i open the gas drain on the carb while the atv is off it keeps draining. Should this happen or should it stop when its turned off and after it drains the boil. is the float in the carb stuck? It is an auto of that means anything. Also the plug always seams wet when i check it which im guessing its to rich so i was thinking of moving the clip up on the needle to let less gas in. other than starting its running fine but i usually have to tinker with it to get it started when its cold(engine not weather). I also already did the carb adsustment following the directions posted on this site. I feal its a gas problem. Also changed the plug, some times when it wont start i swap plugs and it starts. Thanks for any help

Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you opening the throttle too much while cranking the motor over? Sounds like you are flooding the engine trying to get it started. That is why your plug is wet. Check to see if the plug is wet before you start the quad for the first ride of the day. If it is dry before you start cranking the motor, then you can rule out a float problem since the gas would trickle into the cylinder when sitting still. My sons quad is just like yours and it has a choke lever on the left handle bar grip. I just open the choke to its wide open position and crank while feathering the throttle at 1/8th open. If it cranks for 10 seconds without starting, leaving the choke on, I feather the throttle to the 1/4-1/2 position to help get it started. Don't hold the throttle wide open while starting or you will flood the engine. The reason that the quad will start after changing the plug to a dry one is because a wet plug is basically shorted out from all of the gas coating the plug tip. Instead of the spark jumping the gap, it travels across the wet surface and back to ground giving you a no-spark situatuion. The dry one sparks with all of the fuel in the cylinder and the engine fires up.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, if you open the screw on the bottom of the bowl, gas will continue to leak until the tank is empty. As the bowl empties, the float will drop along with the needle, thus leaving open flow of gas. It would be a good idea to install a fuel shutoff valve before the carb so that you can drain the carb when not in use for long periods. The screw on the bottom of the bowl is a nice feature to drain the carb instead of leaving the atv running to drain it. Also, the shutoff valve makes it very easy when removing the carb to clean it, which I would highly recommend to give it a thorough cleaning even when brand new. Make sure plug is gapped correctly.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. I got home today and checked the plug before i tried to start it and it was dry but it was black so im running to rich. I did start it and it fired right up but im going to adjust the carb some more to try and get it running a little leaner. Im also going to try and find a shut off valve for it. Also you said you use the choke to start it and i never have to so i guess thats another sign that its to rich. Im trying to get it where it takes off a little faster. I have the throttle set so he cant go very fast but its slow at first anf some times i have to give him a little push to get started. Thanks again for the help jeff

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

error