Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong?

Last year I bought a new Polaris 90 for my son. We went to baja and rode for a few hours on a weekend trip. By the end of the trip the damm thing would not start up. At first I tought maybe I flooded the thing, and figured that by the time I get home all will be ok. Nope, wouldnt start. I took it in to the dealer thinking it was maybe something else. The guy calls back saying the carb was clogged with old gas residue. So the question is, is that possible? and if so what can I do to stop that from happening. Other question is, how easy is it to clean out the carbs on a bombardier ds50 and this polaris 90.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

two things you can do to prevent most carburator problems, make sure to use a inline filter, and the second thing is to use a fuel additive. the fuel additive keeps the carb from guming up

Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

is there an additive you recomend? is there an external spray or something to that effect to spray directly on the carb? or does it have to be taken apart?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

it's the fuel additive you add to the gas, a couple of ozs per tank, i buy mine from walmart 99 cents stuff, it does make a differance keeping the carb clean, and since i been using it haven't have any carbuator problems, you might want to take your carb apart first and clean it and then start using it

Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks bill,
Not much of a mechanic, so can you give any tips on easy and maybe quick ways on cleaning that carb? its an 06 ds50. I was messing with it about an hour ago, and think it has to do with the air filter, for some weird reason. I had cleaned it about a week ago, and thought it wouldnt be a problem. I took it off and ran the bike, and the thing worked fine. But let me ask this. can I take the hose that goes from the carb to the filter box off and spray the carb there with cleaner? Will that help at all,
Hey fellas, I know you guys ride all the time, and or know your bikes in and out, I have been getting into this slowly but love it. This is a kids quad, and you cant imagine how bummed the lil guy gets when he cant ride no more cause dad cant figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my son, oh and lets not forget the ticked off wife. Thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer

By the way, if any so cal guys out there care to help me out on teaching me how to take off and clean a carb properly on a weekend, just let me know. I can grill up some carne asada and cold beer for the troubles. Im in downey,
thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 AM
Range Rover

I used to start it and shut gas off while its running and let it run till it quits. hit key couple times quick after it dies to make sure its empty. I never used anything but octane boost and never had problems with carb

Old 10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

when you cleaned the air cleaner did you use air cleaner cleaner or just hosed it off? also how much oil did you apply when reoiling the aircleaner, go to your local m/c dealer and buy a can of airfliter cleaner if you haven't already, it comes in 2 types one for foam filters the other is for fabric filters, also need a can of filter oil also comes in both types, spay the filter with cleaner, let it sit a couple of minutes the hose it off, let it completely dry then lightly spray the filter oil on it, to much oil will plug the filter, so go lightly on the oil, if you haven't already replace the inline fuel filter at this time.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I have the filter cleaner and the oil, Im thinking I went heavy on the oil. And I have to replace the fuel filter.
Thanks,

Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

My opinion and mine only(opinions are like a**holes and everyone has one).
1st , use high octane only(93). 2nd, get yourself a service manual(makes life easier).
3rd, take the filter off and clean it, I dont care if the bike has a total of 1 hour it. Service the filter!!! Oh, Billl2099 made a good point, Don't overkill the oil for the filter!!

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?