Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help choosing ATV for my son

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing ATV for my son

Well I purchase my son a Can-Am DS70 this week-end. Will pick it up on 12/24. Very excited. Ultimately it seem like a no brainer. Reasons I purchased

1) Price. $1700 for a 70. In my area the 50's were going for over $2000 for a name brand 2008.
2) 2008 model
3) Lights
4) Neutral, reverse
5) Name brand. I do realize that the manufacturing is outsource to Taiwan company but hope that Can-Am is making sure their name is going on something that is reliable.

And the biggest reason is that in my area the kids ATVs are almost impossible to find. The stores are all sold out and say they can not get anymore until after Christmas.

Let the forum now how it works out. Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Have you considered a US made Go-Kart? Gokarts have a cage around the drive and have a lower center of gavity than an ATV. These are less likely to tip and are very reliable. Parts and service are never a problem.

Check out some kids karts at:
Text

Kim
Familygokarts.com

Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The real issue you have is whether there is a support network in place for what every you buy. I have seen major brands not have parts, or they are 50 plus miles away.. so what ever you choose, make sure they are local and stocked. Ditto on mechanics. The Chinese machines have earned their reputations, but are gettting better. I would suggest though, that if you do shoose to purchase from a non major brand, make sure you buy from someone who makes this their primary business. Youcan find them on every corner. Once they get your money, they cover themselves with invisible paint.
A 50 will work if it is going to be handed down between boys. With boys being boys, you are going to have several on it at teh same itme no matter what you tell them.. and the 50 machines are pretty slow, so at lesat you can limit damage... An 80 would be too big.. I want everyone to understand that it isn't all about being able to hold on and punching the throttle. The biggest deal with a young kid is the mental capacity to perform under stress in emergency situations. Kids panick... so do adults for that matter.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bartturner

Well I purchase my son a Can-Am DS70 this week-end. Will pick it up on 12/24. Very excited. Ultimately it seem like a no brainer. Reasons I purchased

1) Price. $1700 for a 70. In my area the 50's were going for over $2000 for a name brand 2008.

2) 2008 model

3) Lights

4) Neutral, reverse

5) Name brand. I do realize that the manufacturing is outsource to Taiwan company but hope that Can-Am is making sure their name is going on something that is reliable.

And the biggest reason is that in my area the kids ATVs are almost impossible to find. The stores are all sold out and say they can not get anymore until after Christmas.

Let the forum now how it works out. Thanks for all the help!</end quote></div>

Let us know how it works out for you. We looked at the same ride yesterday for my 7 year old. The gear selector on the right side looks like it would bang his leg up quite a bit and the kick starter on the left side looks like it would do the same to his left ankle. I'd love to get one so I can get a "matching" 800X Renegade, but I don't want him to get banged up needlessly.