Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers

After reading many of the posts and how they installed wheel spacers, I was wondering would it be a good idea to place wheeel spacers on a child's atv. I understand the stability that it would give, however would it be more difficult to steer the atv? Has anyone used wheel spacers and if so how did the kids react to them. My son is 7 and I would like specifically interested in hearing from parents who's child is within that age range. All comments are welcome and appericate.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

definatly put them on doesnt affect steering and adds stability. i put them on my kids 110 he had and they help .

Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

My son has a 2006 Viper 90R. I found a website called crjperformance.com. These wheel spacer are studs that screw into the existing wheeel studs. What type of wheel spacers do you have on your child's atv? The site sells two lengths that will widen the wheels either 3 or 5 inches per side.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Wheel Spacers

Wheel spacers add alot of stability to the machine. on the back they can be as wide as the machine can accept or axle can handle.

however on the front there is a different story. because of the additional lever arm length you are adding between the wheel and the control arm/tie rod end/front hub there will be some steering difference. an object that hits a single wheel directly on will have a slightly better mechanical advantage to want to cause the steering to to turn in that direction than the stock setup would. from the drivers perspective the spacers cause a slight over steer condition. the same amount of handle bar angular turn will cause a larger front wheel swing. the slight change in mechanical advantage for the wheel could be felt as slightly harder to turn steering. the longer the spacers the worse the condition. we use 2" per side spacers and the added stability outweighs the minimal effect on the steering.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

Could you provide me with a name or a website on the spacers you used. Thanks again

Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Wheel Spacers

there are a number of web sites to look at spacers. alot depends on what you want to spend. I would recommend the aluminum or composite type that contact the full hub and rim. this is the strongest and most stable, however also the most expensive.

you can find these on ebay sometimes for a good price (do a search on raptor 80, http://search.ebay.com/search/...aptor+80&category0=).

(I recently saw a front set for $20). raptor80racing.com also carries them. I bought mine from http://www.weirdharoldscoolparts.com/ the price was good but the service wasn't. it took multiple phone calls and a couple of months to get the spacers.

http://www.durablue.com/ has them.

I used the lug type spacers on our Raptor 50. these worked out good and since the 50 doesn't get the workout the 80 does I was a little less worried about overstressing them. they are less expensive then the full hub ones.
ebay has them (raptor 80) as does http://www.crjperformance.com and they claim that they are very reliable.

I also put ITP holeshot tires and offset rims on the 80. made a world of difference. I bought these from an online dealer on ebay (raptor 80 search). look for YAMAHA RAPTOR 80 ITP HOLESHOT MXR6 TIRES T-9 RIMS COMBO!!!! LITTLE QUADS CAN LOOK COOL TOO !!!!

have you added a higher rev CDI ? this will give some performance enhancement. there are a number of mfgs. of them (procom, big guns, rmstator) raptor80racing has the most performance orientated one. I believe that theirs has no rev limit. but cost 2x-3x the others.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Spacers

I got some from ebay for my daughters 80cc yamaha and it definetly helps on the stability. It does increase the turning radius a little for tight turns but not enough that it makes it hard to steer. I only added the 3 inch spacers to hers as I didnt want to put too much strain on it.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

No, I have not added any aftermarket parts to my son's eton. The cdi has different level settings and my son has not mastered the top level yet. I would like to improve the stability if the atv (he likes to do dounuts) and knows when to get out of it when the inner rear wheel starts to lift off the ground.

Thanks atvingnc for your input and the information, I will check out all of the sites and make a detemination and thank you ctateusa1.

ctatuesa1, the 3inches you added on the atv, was that 3inches in total length or the size of the spaceres you installed? I am pretty sure I know the answer to that one, but I would like clarity. If I went with a combined total of 3inches in the front and 4inches in the rear would this be considered as a good set up, or should I used the same wheel spacers for all 4 wheels. I looked at eton aftermarket parts and they sell 2 inch thick wheel spacers, but after reading all of the replys 4inches on the front seems excessive.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Range Rover
Default Wheel Spacers

rjdad,

my bad .... for some reason I assumed that your son was riding a Raptor (not sure why, perhaps I thought I was on one of the other forums). didn't read your second post I guess (viper 90 r). not sure where you'd find spacers for the eton.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Spacers

3 inches total length is what I installed. I would probably say stick with the same but I have not tried with more length on the back than the front. I did have just 3 inch spacers on the front but I went ahead and put them on the back because it still felt a little tippy to me(but hey I grew up riding this thing and I rolled it a few times when i was younger too)

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers