Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers

I looked at the site and saw eight extenders for $65.00 Which meant I would have to purchase two sets. I dont think they would be a problem if my son is the only that would ride the viper 90, I have been known to get on it, and with my weight, I am sure I would stress them to the limit.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Wheel Spacers

Friend, you have not been listening. The stud types are over built and nothing you or your child can throw at them is going ot break them. They are the same things that your car uses, and the car weighs several thousand pounds. Throw in some pot holes and the stress the car studs carry is WAAAAAAAY more than you or your kid, or the whole neighborhood can put on them. It is plain NOTHING to worry about.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: windtrader

@kczukiman

I looked up the links and they seem to be different companies and the prices are quite different as well. One set is like 18 bucks and the other around 65 bucks. The company selling the cheap studs also sells billets for 50 bucks. Are you sure these are the same extenders?</end quote></div>

You are rite they are not the same company.Let me do some checking the place I got them from the guy is out of florida.Ill check to get the rite site
The ones I got were the ebay lugs like link I posted earlier.
Yes I will post a closup pic of the spacers.
I would suggest calling them here is the correct number 954-636-5288 Name is Alton James.Like dragginbutt wrote,these are very stout solid pieces or steal.You will break an axle befor you snap these studs.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

I understand that the stud type is strong and will not break under heavy loads. I recall someone mentioned that the rim is not flushed against the hub and the concern is that with the small contact surface between the stud type spacers and the rim could cause the rim to lose it's intergrity and strength... causing the rim to distort. Dragginbutt, what is your take on that concern?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Friend, you have not been listening. The stud types are over built and nothing you or your child can throw at them is going ot break them. They are the same things that your car uses, and the car weighs several thousand pounds. Throw in some pot holes and the stress the car studs carry is WAAAAAAAY more than you or your kid, or the whole neighborhood can put on them. It is plain NOTHING to worry about.</end quote></div>
No one is arguing the strength of the studs or spacers. For sure they are strong enough. My concern the metal that they touch, the hub and rim, those materials are not so strong and the little area of the spacer material could do damage to the weaker materials. This is not a problem with no spacer since the rim lays flush against the hub and the tightened studs keep a lot of pressure and friction so the wheel will not move.

With spacers there is no extra support, only the small area around the spacer coming in contact with the rim and the hub. The load is also twisting off the end of the spacer, which does not happen without spacers in which case the load is entirely lateral.

Think if the rim and hub being made of cardboard and you put the spacers in between. Then press up on the wheel and you will understand where the material fails, It is not the spacers/studs themselves but the hub and rim material fails.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Spacers

I had stud extenders on my son's eton 50 for the past year. I am 250 lbs and rode his quad many many times without problems. Sold his eton 50 and now looking for stud extenders for 2 different Polaris Outlaw 90.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Wheel Spacers

hmmm.. I have never seen that happen...