Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Is this OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this OK?

Is it OK tell the bad things that happen with wrecks on ATVs,go-carts and such as a learning story?

If so,

Does anyone have any stories about ATVs,go-carts,dirtbikes that happened that someone could learn from this?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Range Rover
Default Is this OK?

Interesting that you listed this under "kids quads".

The worst story I have concerns responsible adults. Easter Day 2003, My bother and his wife were out riding their 4WD quads in a big muddy pasture. Not much in the area to hit so they decided not to wear helmets. My brother got stuck and they used a rope with the the other quad to pull him out. The rope wasn't long enough to reach solid ground so they used another rope that had a hook on it. A hook like on the end of a winch. Now there was lots of extra rope so she was pulling in reverse and punches the gas with about ten feet of slack in the line. The shock spapped the line and she caught the hook in the forehead. Mild braindamage and a titanium plate in her head.

We all ride in my family and we don't always use every bit of safety gear available, but to me helmets aren't optional.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Is this OK?

No bad stories except when I do jumps, Hit a couple of jumps at the wrong angle and had the quad on top of me. So, if something isn't meant to be jumped , don't jump it!!!!
As far as Bigdumb say's, "helmets aren't optional". Totally agree!!! When I ride, my boy is usually with me ,don't want to set a bad example by not wearing a helmet.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default Is this OK?

Well,I was really talkin about accidents that have happened to kids on ATVs.Something that would remind the parents to go thru everything in the book,and know everything about the ATV before the kid gets on it so these things dont happen.Because I have such a story that happened Christmas morning.But the kid is just fine,but a big scare.
I guess thats why I put it here.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Is this OK?

What most people who don't ride, and go buy their kids a quad as a gift don't realize, is the kids models are very top heavy, and narrow.

Sure they've got it governed down so they can't go that fast. But it doesn't take a high speed or a very odd angle for these things to tip over.

So that riding gear is important no matter how fast or where they are riding.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Is this OK?

got my kid a helmit befor we got him the quad. and if he asks to ride he has his helmit in hand or on.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Is this OK?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

amen to that brother!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Is this OK?

First ride out with my sons 110cc, was going to practice some low speed turns. Well, I set the throttle limiter up for my weight which was way too fast for him. He turned the handlebars to the lock without slowing and the quad fips over on its side. Luckily, he was pitched clear of the quad and did a Superman slide on the ground. He was wearing his helmet. The visor on the helmet hit the ground and sheared off one of the adjustment screws. That let the visor flip back over the top of the helmet saving him from a possible neck injury. He ended up with only a few scrapes in the palms of his hands. Mama nearly made me put the quad back on the truck and return it.

So the moral of my story: Don't give these kids more speed than their skill/maturity level can handle.