Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Baja 90

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Baja 90

As long as it can go down/around a farm, and around the trails near my cottage (they are fairly flat) then I think that it should be fine.

The steepest hill that I will probably have to go up is like this:

I guess I could either just go around it (on the road for 5 seconds, there aren't any police up there anyways) or attempt it at full speed.

My parents basically said enjoy it this year, then next year we can discuss if you want a larger one or if you can hold out for 2 years.... I guess it will depend upon what's out in the market, if this Baja holds up well, then maybe I'll consider another one, but, like you said, if I got the 400 and it wouldn't work, then I would have 3 months to return it, so I don't know, I'll see whats on the market next year. Same thing with the 125 and 150, if I hear good things about them (like I mostly do with the 90) then maybe I will consider one of them. Can-Am ATVs look nice (especially the DS 450X), but I don't want something really expensive.

The Jetmoto 150 looked like a nice option, saw a few videos of it on Youtube. Actually Jetmoto looks like a good company, I don't know what there support is like though.

Also, are there any mods/adjustments that you know of for the Baja? I read in that other thread about unplugging the governor/speed limiter... and that it voids the warranty. I guess I could wait 3 months in case something else is faulty before unplugging it. I read that some people just unplugged it when the ATV was off, and some screwed something and then it came off, and then some people had to unplug it while it was running, is there really a specific method to this? I dunno if you (Sawyer) have fooled around with this since it seems like the 90cc provides enough power for your kids, but for someone like me (almost 6 feet, about 160 lbs) I might need a little bit more speed. Other than that though, is there anything else that you can do to modify it (whether its another part that you have to buy or just fooling around with a certain part)? I was thinking about buying this from Canadian tire, just so I have some storage in the ATV lol.

Link

Another thing: What is the recommended equipment for riding this thing? Is just jeans, a leather jacket, a pair of timberland construction boots, a DOT approved helmet, and some gloves good enough/protective enough? Also (I'm assuming that you are in Ontario) what is required to ride it? I mean to go on a public trail, or cross a road, you need what, insurance, and proof of ownership, is that it? Do you need to license it or anything?

Sorry if I ask a lot of questions (some of them probably being stupid).

Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Baja 90

hey my lil bro just got a 50 cc baja it already broke but we fixed it

Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: trailking_yfz

hey my lil bro just got a 50 cc baja it already broke but we fixed it</end quote></div>

What was wrong with it?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Canadian144

Also, are there any mods/adjustments that you know of for the Baja? I read in that other thread about unplugging the governor/speed limiter... and that it voids the warranty. I guess I could wait 3 months in case something else is faulty before unplugging it. I read that some people just unplugged it when the ATV was off, and some screwed something and then it came off, and then some people had to unplug it while it was running, is there really a specific method to this? I dunno if you (Sawyer) have fooled around with this since it seems like the 90cc provides enough power for your kids, but for someone like me (almost 6 feet, about 160 lbs) I might need a little bit more speed. Other than that though, is there anything else that you can do to modify it (whether its another part that you have to buy or just fooling around with a certain part)? I was thinking about buying this from Canadian tire, just so I have some storage in the ATV lol.

Link

Another thing: What is the recommended equipment for riding this thing? Is just jeans, a leather jacket, a pair of timberland construction boots, a DOT approved helmet, and some gloves good enough/protective enough? Also (I'm assuming that you are in Ontario) what is required to ride it? I mean to go on a public trail, or cross a road, you need what, insurance, and proof of ownership, is that it? Do you need to license it or anything?

Sorry if I ask a lot of questions (some of them probably being stupid).</end quote></div>

Speed limiter- yes ours has one and yes if you unplug it you can rev it out. They put on so little kids don't drive it wide open throttle! Once they climb to 12000 RPM they go boom. Not unlike any small engine over revved. The boys broke our speed limiter off of it last summer carring a shovel or something. They know enough not to abuse it. But I put one back on to be safe as they have friends over drivng it that are not as careful.

The new ones have the rev limiter <u>built into the CDI unit </u>I'm told so you can't fool with it. The old ones like mine you can unplug or turn a little adjustment screw to fine tune it.

As for getting more performance out of it I wouldn't even bother. Its a little beginner quad if you find it too small and under powered move up to a bigger machine.

If you've never operated an ATV it's a good beginner quad to learn on. However in<u> my </u>opinon for a kid who is a good rider and knows ATV's once thier 12 or 13 (depending on size) its getting on the small side. It depends on where you drive it and how much.....a few times a month or every day. I drive it around a bit and its a blast on the hard packed snow doing donuts but its really not ment for an adult sized rider. LIke a mentioned in a post before it this baja 90 had a 4 speed it would be a little better.

I always tell my boys to wear jeans, jacket, gloves and a helmet. Boots are a good thing too better to be safe then sorry.

Just to make sure you understand the warranty thing. Candian Tire does not handel the warranty. They will tell you a name of a local shop that will do it. Also CT does not sell parts. You have to deal directly with Baja or the shop that does the warranty. So if say something breaks after a month your not going to be able to just bring it back and exchange it for another like you would with a TV or something etc.

As for riding on public trails yes you would need to have insurance and a plate on it.....or take your chances! If the police catch you with out insurance they mabye nice and just give you a stern warning or they can give you a fine!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

That hill shown above looks pretty steep to me. Does this 90 have the Honda clone engine in it? I would have to agree to check all the bolts, not that it is put together bad, but things can loosen up in transit.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sawyer

Link

Sorry if I ask a lot of questions (some of them probably being stupid).</end quote></div>

Speed limiter- yes ours has one and yes if you unplug it you can rev it out. They put on so little kids don't drive it wide open throttle! Once they climb to 12000 RPM they go boom. Not unlike any small engine over revved. The boys broke our speed limiter off of it last summer carring a shovel or something. They know enough not to abuse it. But I put one back on to be safe as they have friends over drivng it that are not as careful.

The new ones have the rev limiter <u>built into the CDI unit </u>I'm told so you can't fool with it. The old ones like mine you can unplug or turn a little adjustment screw to fine tune it.

As for getting more performance out of it I wouldn't even bother. Its a little beginner quad if you find it too small and under powered move up to a bigger machine.

If you've never operated an ATV it's a good beginner quad to learn on. However in<u> my </u>opinon for a kid who is a good rider and knows ATV's once thier 12 or 13 (depending on size) its getting on the small side. It depends on where you drive it and how much.....a few times a month or every day. I drive it around a bit and its a blast on the hard packed snow doing donuts but its really not ment for an adult sized rider. LIke a mentioned in a post before it this baja 90 had a 4 speed it would be a little better.

I always tell my boys to wear jeans, jacket, gloves and a helmet. Boots are a good thing too better to be safe then sorry.

Just to make sure you understand the warranty thing. Candian Tire does not handel the warranty. They will tell you a name of a local shop that will do it. Also CT does not sell parts. You have to deal directly with Baja or the shop that does the warranty. So if say something breaks after a month your not going to be able to just bring it back and exchange it for another like you would with a TV or something etc.

As for riding on public trails yes you would need to have insurance and a plate on it.....or take your chances! If the police catch you with out insurance they mabye nice and just give you a stern warning or they can give you a fine!</end quote></div>

Aw man too bad about the speed limiter, oh well. I guess I'll also just leave it stock, I can probably manage with it for at least a year.

So for the warranty, you either contact Baja or CT and they direct you to a separate store? So if the issue can't be resolved would they give you a new one or just kinda say too bad for you (I guess you (Sawyer) wouldn't really know the answer to this since yours works fine)?

Alright, I think I'll ride around with insurance definately, I'll see about getting a plate and registration, I probably won't really need it since I haven't seen the OPP once in all my 14 years that I have been at our current cottage. I'll probably get them eventually though.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

The way it works out west here in Alberta is that CT does not do the warranty work instore...at least none that I've heard. At the start I think some did but now it seems they get a local small engine type of shop to do it. So like if you take it home set it up and something is not right I'm sure they'll take it back. They did with mine as the first one the gas tank had a leak! I just returned it for another. However if you drive it a week and something breaks that should be covered under warranty you call baja.

I found out from my local CT about a couple shops that do the warranty work for CT on the baja's. I never had to get any warranty done and when it come repairs and service I do it myself.

Really so far I haven't had anything other than normal wear and tear go wrong with it ......to date. The engine seems real good so far, time will tell I guess.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sawyer

The way it works out west here in Alberta is that CT does not do the warranty work instore...at least none that I've heard. At the start I think some did but now it seems they get a local small engine type of shop to do it. So like if you take it home set it up and something is not right I'm sure they'll take it back. They did with mine as the first one the gas tank had a leak! I just returned it for another. However if you drive it a week and something breaks that should be covered under warranty you call baja.

I found out from my local CT about a couple shops that do the warranty work for CT on the baja's. I never had to get any warranty done and when it come repairs and service I do it myself.

Really so far I haven't had anything other than normal wear and tear go wrong with it ......to date. The engine seems real good so far, time will tell I guess.</end quote></div>

Thanks for clearing things up once again. I just hope that my Baja lasts as well as yours has. Another thing that I noticed at CT was the Baja dirtbikes, then I looked them up on the web, they look pretty nice.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

As long as it can go down/around a farm, and around the trails near my cottage (they are fairly flat) then I think that it should be fine.

The steepest hill that I will probably have to go up is like this:

I guess I could either just go around it (on the road for 5 seconds, there aren't any police up there anyways) or attempt it at full speed.

My parents basically said enjoy it this year, then next year we can discuss if you want a larger one or if you can hold out for 2 years.... I guess it will depend upon what's out in the market, if this Baja holds up well, then maybe I'll consider another one, but, like you said, if I got the 400 and it wouldn't work, then I would have 3 months to return it, so I don't know, I'll see whats on the market next year. Same thing with the 125 and 150, if I hear good things about them (like I mostly do with the 90) then maybe I will consider one of them. Can-Am ATVs look nice (especially the DS 450X), but I don't want something really expensive.

The Jetmoto 150 looked like a nice option, saw a few videos of it on Youtube. Actually Jetmoto looks like a good company, I don't know what there support is like though.

Link

Hey Canadain144 we picked up a Jetmoto 150 here last week or so and we were trying the quads on hills. The baja does NOT like hills. The little hill we have close buy the 110 and 150 ripped right on up and the baja powered out and stalled. Its just the way the transmission works. Its ment for driving around on flat ground mostly.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Baja 90

Cool, I'm glad to hear that the Jetmoto's turned out well for you!

I actually just picked up my 90 a few hours ago, and we will assemble it sometime this weekend or my dad will by himself tomorrow. Can't wait to ride it, however I will probably have to wait a few weekends [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] .

I'm thinking that I'm gonna try to convince my parents to get me either a Yamaha 150 cc dirtbike or a Yamaha 450 Wolverine (sport ATV with switch-on the fly 4wd) for my next offroad vehicle. BIG price jump, unless you buy it used, then you can save at least 1 thousand.

Quick Reply: New Baja 90