Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Seized the motor on modded Alpha sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
JBL
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized the motor on modded Alpha sport

Ok, went through new CDI, rings, plug fuel two 54mm heads one from hetrick. Had 122 on compression. Tested the stator/generator and it was pushing 14.5v on the ohm meter. Local shop told me it could be the rollers since they are made of steel covered by plastic and can wear out and could also cause the problem of good idle but stalls once the throttle is touched. Then he said air/fuel mix can be off. So I fire it up no problems then turn the air screw 1/8 turn counter clockwise and teh motor sounded better with throttle then died. Tried to turn it over again and the motor seized. Had to hammer the piston out of the head. Also noticed oil, yes oil that looked like gear oil in the crank and the bottom of the piston. Could a crack have developed in the gear case and fould everthing up?? I've spent over 10 hours trying to get it running for this weekend's trip and just plain fed up. I dont know what to do know..whats the point in buying a new top end if there is a crack somewhere I cant detect. Hetrick is clueless to my problem

Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Seized the motor on modded Alpha sport

If it's not carburation or electronics, I think it's sucking air.
This would explain the lean condition that squeezed your piston. ie: give it throttle,it sucks harder which brings in way too much air.
You might as well split the cases and see what's up (cracked or sealant not sealing) as we're running out of options.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]