Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Is a vbike good for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is a vbike good for me?

Theoretically, while a shaft drive is more expensive to repair, it should not need repair nearly as often. If you want the atv for camping, as in getting your gear someplace, then you need a ute first. If the quad is only recreation once at the camp site, get a sport. I'm not really a MIC hater, but I do believe you can get a much more reliable machine used if you can afford to be patient and diligent in your search. In my extended family there are at least 3 quads from the mid 80's still running and being put to work. My son has a Honda 90 over 10 years old that looks a little rough but runs like a champ and needs little attention from me. You could find a Honda Recon(ute) or 250EX(sport) about 4 or 5 years old close to your price range, or go with the vbike. So far I haven't seen a ton of vbike issues posted.

On a side note, riding double(if that is what you are planning) isn't a real good idea. Even more so if you aren't currently a skilled rider. The suspension and frame aren't designed for the additional weight, and the handling gets sketchy with an additional butt behind the rear axle.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>You can probably find a 20 year old brand name for $1500.</end quote></div>

Here is a 03 mint shape 250 Kawaski shalft drive Utility for $1800

It will out last 3 Brand New MIC ATV easily not bad for a extra $300.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sflarider

lol, why do you haters always have to post in this section? Geez, now to get back on topic.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/17/threadid/540042.cfm
">http://forums.atvconnection.co...adid/540042.cfm
</a>

Why do the Chinese quad guys get so sensitive? I am not name calling or bashing. I did own one and on the plus side it was inexpensive. On the downside the suspension was super stiff and the clutch burned up qickly in the dunes. The bumper itself was sturdy enough but the headlight guards attatched to them folded on saplings. Parts were difficult to find and spec info or a service manual was even harder to get.

On the otherhand my other major brand quads have waaaaaaaaaaay more hours on them with minimal down time. I bought all of them used except one. Most of the time I need to replace a chain or a set of tires but, buying other peoples problems? I guess it happens sometimes. Just like buying a used car. So does that mean that you need to get all of your cars off of the showroom floor? Some people do, I guess if you can afford it. So do you buy a used toyota or a new geo?

I've had more experience with the major brand quads than with the MIC so some might say I am not qualified to compare. Some might just call me a quick learner

Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

thanks tlc for the listingonly problem is that its like a fifteen hour drive to get it and i really have no way of picking it up. Ive ben looking around me and found some decent deals i think i like the idea of a name brand used over new off brand. I have bad luck when it comes to stuff like this so im just waitin for the right deal. No rush. and yes i do plan on double riding but at about 10-20 mph nothng fast just to get there in. Eventuall ill buy a new ine for myself but thats all i can aford right not. I was thinking about polaris or honda maybe yamaha. And particular models you would not suggext. Also im not just posting for a name brand im just waiting to be sold on one or the other. Thanks for all the input people i appreciete your time. The vbikes dont really look like that bad of a bike but im afraid ill buy one and in two years its dead because im only 20 and i know im gonna be hard ont he thing and it sounds like there cheap like everything else in china but maybe im wrog and i probably wouldnt be a bad 4 wheeler for the woman. personally id lk to get a 350 or bigger so i can at least get my big *** up some decent size hills. Thanx guys for everything

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

I would just recommend staying name brand. Honda, suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, artic cat, polaris, can-am...you get it. They all have quirks. Again its just like cars. Who's better? Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota.....? You could get a thousand opinions on the subject. I can't think of any that I would say stay away from. Don't get anything to extreme for your first quad. Price will limit that though. My quads are CVT drive (no shifting) and it's personal preference kinda but it might be something to look for in a starter quad.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

dooleypfeiffer,

If you plan on jumping or riding your ATV hard then I would not recommend a chinese ATV as the frames are typically not as heavy as say a name brand. Of course the chinese ATV's cut some corners here and there and that is why they cost so much less $$$. With that said a chinese ATV with a few tweaks can be made into a very reliable and durable ATV for many years, as not all people use them for dune jumping or hard trail riding.

We use ours on the farm for chores and cattle herding, and the occasional trail ride on our own land. I have had Yamaha's, Kawasaki's and even Honda ATV's and while they were very good ATV's they did require regular maintenance like anything else. It all depends on your expectations and what you plan to do with your ATV as to what you need to buy, just like buying a car.

Best of luck with your search..................Slydog

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the quick responces guys! I know im nit gonna be jumping or thing right away bt i may want to when i get out there and get the adrenaline pumpin so i think that a honda or polaris seems like my best bet especially if two people are going to be driving itfort he time being. How about the sport utiltiy will they hold about 350 lbs or so through some pretty mild trails.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:31 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>thanks tlc for the listingonly problem is that its like a fifteen hour drive to get it and i really have no way of picking it up.</end quote></div>

Its was just example to show whats out there "all over the place". I,m not going to shop for you.

All my ATVs were second hand and I never bought a bad one yet and others are still riding the second hand ones I sold off.

I like that theory, "whats better a used 8 year old Toyota or a brand new Lada?"

Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

I dont expect you to shop for me and i apprecite it. whats considered hi/low miles/hours for a quad. I have already found several within my price reange but theyre either too small or too far away but ill find something. And i agree with ya whos gonna buy a metro over a used toyota or honda. thanks everybody

Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Range Rover

I wouldn't sweat the miles or hours on it unless that is the sellers big selling point. Most don't have an odometer so you are going by the sellers word anyway. Go with your gut feeling. Does it smoke alot or sound bad when it's running? How easily did it start? Is it all bent up around the bumpers, handle bars, wheels, and so on. If someone is saying it has low hours on it look for wear on the paint on clutch casings and near footpegs. Anywhere a riders legs would rub. If the paint is worn thin in those kind of spots then I wouldn't say that it is low miles. The tires might be a good indicator too. Ride it! Does it go into gear okay? Does it go and stop okay? Look at the oil. And don't forget to get a title.

350 lbs? I teeter at 300lbs. alone and my kids' LT80s will tote me around gravel roads and mild trails. Anything over 250cc should tote you around that kind of stuff just fine. You wouldn't want to get too nutty riding double like that anyway.

Quick Reply: Is a vbike good for me?