Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

PLEASE HELP. 110cc AIM-EX has spark... NO START?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP. 110cc AIM-EX has spark... NO START?

This is a new AIM-EX brand (i was told honda clone crf70) 110cc atv.. it has less then 6 hours use on it.. not even dirty yet and its been hell on wheels since it was delivered. seemed to run fine before it was shut off.. next day no start. that 4th of JULY LAST YEAR!!! symptoms:

I consider it good spark

will at times attempt to fire with starting fluid in cylinder... but seems never to try if i spray fluid in air cleaner

have cleaned carb about a kajillion times

i was told compression should be 110-120psi range... i'm reading 145 psi!!!! ?????

weird thing is... it seems like when I'm trying to start it and the starter is turning it over.... if I open the throttle... it seems to make it turn over very slowly just by opening the carburetor!!!!!! what gives.

Can someone please tell me what to look for in trouble shooting this thing?? i want to try another carburetor... but have already put a ton of $$$$ in this thing so far and nothing has worked. its a $560 atv delivered to me with another $200 into it, still not running... and worth about $50!!!!!! help please!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Range Rover

While trying to start it in dark garage with the plug removed and grounded to the frame watch the plug for spark, then if spark is good check the air filter and carb. By opening the throttle for the carb you are allowing more air into the engine and compression should go up and will put more stress on the battery thus a weak battery will not have enough voltage to turn the engine over as fast. Monitor battery voltage during starting to make sure you are getting at least 12 volts. Also check any safety switches your model might have as some have alarms with remote start that can disable the spark.

Best of luck..................Slydog

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Range Rover

i disagree with you slydogsrus on checking spark, to check spark should be done in daylight, if you need darkness to see the spark it's a weak spark and might just blow out under compression. a good spark you will beable to see under daylight condtions. on your compression check was the thottle wide open? if it wasn't then its a false reading, if you have ignition (spark) and you spay a little starting fluid in the carb it should start no matter how bad the carburator is and should run briefly. make sure you have ignition if you do my next step would be to do valve adjustment,

Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

While spark should be able to been seen in daylight, just flipping the shop light off is a quick way to see if you have spark at the plug and if you have any shorts or other sparks where they shouldn't be. Either way you need a strong spark at the plug, and I agree with "chineseatvmechanic" that as long as you have spark and good compression a shot of starting fluid in the carb it should run briefly regardless if the carb is any good.

I would try monitoring the spark intensity with an in-line test light and the battery voltage with a voltmeter while trying to start your ATV to help determine if you have at least 12 volts and the spark is strong enough.

Seems to be a lot of these "no start" issues lately on the 90-110cc ATV's. It usually ends up being something simple that is wrong like a wire or bad switch causing no spark, or the brake safety switch not working causing the engine not to turn over. Regardless what it is it can be frustrating if you have never worked on one and don't know what to look for, so hopefully some of the info provided helps.

Slydog

Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry... havent been back on line since i posted!!!!!! been way too busy. Thanks to both of you for your advice. It seems to have good spark..... I still dont have this thing running... what a shame... less then 6 hours on it and its been broken down since 4th of July LAST YEAR!!! I've spent nearly $250 on parts that LG wholesale swore would take care of the problem. My last and final try will be puttying another $60 into a new carburetor and crossing my fingers. It's weird because it acts like could be fuel, or a wire vibrating killing it right away. or valves, or................. WHO knows! I cant figure it out. My kids will be out of school by the time I fix it and I wont have any $$$$$ left for their college. If anyone is near HUDSON, WI or stillwater MN and is has some ideas or can help fix this thing...... PLEAse let me know! thanks.