Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Injury Caused by stuck throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injury Caused by stuck throttle

Ranman,

I could have started a new thread with my question, but I figured why do so if it is REDUNDANT to similar threads that already exist? So I used the search function (not enuf people use this feature!), and this particular thread was the most relevant to my question. That is why I replied to it...I'm hoping to get a little more info from ChineseATVmechanic regarding his post above.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that now,im sorry I didnt read the entire post thus missing your new addition to it, my bad sorry and actually this is a very important subject it should be made into a sticky as a top 10 warning. I have a 9 year and a 6 year old daughter that ride 1 of our checklist questions we go thru is whats do you do if your atv takes off with you "HIT THE THUMB KILL SWITCH" we pratice this by me pulling beside them at any givin time and yelling run away in which they respond by hitting the thumb switch and killing the engine if they do not respond properly there riding is over for that day, may be a lil harsh but to me its that important

Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a good way to practice...thanks for the tip!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I had this happen once on my father's highly modded Scrambler 400..... the thing was scary fast and it was pulling me so hard that I could not shut it off right away and had to navigate through some trees at a deadly rate of speed......

This is another reason I HATE sport ATVs with no clutch.... because when the thing went off on me my first reaction was to grab the clutch really quick and end the terror before it really started..... but no clutch.......only a weak @$$ brake that did nothing against all 80hp that were trying to kill me.......

I was able to hit the kill switch once I got to an area I could take my hand off the bar........ then I changed my pants and never rode that thing again.......

Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,

Same thing happened to my kid new riding a loncin 50cc auto he nearly swiped side of friends car in my driveway. I fussed him over big time but he maintained wasn't his fault. So when I check it out it does the same thing with me. Read the thread and checked alll 3 things mechanic mentioned. Expected loose carb. top b/c same thing happend with older kids baja 70. But nothing wrong. Then checked throttle spring & cable. Nothing appears wrong but its new motor not even dirty. Next i put up on crate & start when let off brake it accelerates wildly like throttle is wide open but not even touching it. This thing has remote start & kill and extremely annoying loud alarm. Any other ideas...

Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Drewshep,
If its brand new, I suggest you take it back to the dealer and get it repaired under warranty. If its no longer under warranty, perhaps you can disassemble the carb and make sure its all clean and put together correctly. By any chance, does it rev up when you turn the handlebars from side to side? If so, you need to adjust or re-route the throttle cable.

This weekend, I finally inspected my son's 50cc Jackel (following the stuck at WOT incident we had a week ago) and I discovered the top of the carb came unscrewed. I'm guessing the vibration of the motor caused it to unscrew. I cleaned everything up and screwed the top down with RED Locktite (threadlocker fluid) on the threads. I'm hoping the locktite will keep the top of the carb from unscrewing again.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]