Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Taotao ATA-250D shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taotao ATA-250D shifting problems

I just purchased the ATA-250D from VBike.us.
I've changed the oil and lock-tite'd every bolt on the unit. It starts fine but the problem I have is shifting. When the engine is cold it will shift through all gears, although with difficulty. After I run it for 30-60m I can shift to reverse and 1st gear and that is it.
If I bring the engine to a stop while in first gear and by hand shift the gears, I can feel it try to engage but 90% of the time it will not.
I've tried adjusting the clutch.
I fear the first poster is going to tell me the shift forks are screwed up.
Or have I over looked something more simple.
Can some one share some knowledge?

Best regards

Wildwoody

Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

I would say if it was not a simple clutch adjusting problem I would contact Vbike and see how they want to warranty it. It sounds as if it may be something quite bad with the tranny you my not want to dig into. This is what warrantees are for!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE. I'm rather disappointed with vbike despite all the posts I've found stating otherwise.
I video'd the problem for anyone interested.
Basically there's a problem with the transmission. It will shift to 1st gear neutral and reverse. No 2nd 3rd or 4th.
Tim at vbikes first solution is that I just crack open the case.....yeah right like that is going to happen.....I'm a network engineer....kinda reminds of that commercial with the guy on the phone to the surgeon who's going to walk him through surgery on himself over the phone.
Second solution; I pull the engine and ship it back....OK I can do that but I'm going to have to ship it back......freight ain't cheap. An with this kind of problem I real skeptical of any replacement I get....someone else problem they shipped of to me....

Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

Wildwoody,
I have the same Taotao 250 D atv and have had no problems with it shifting, maybe you just got a bad one. What is the engine model number under the shifter, mine is 171FMM. Replacement engines cost about $450 for the 250 D so I would work with Vbike and just ship it back if he is willing to replace the engine for free minus the freight.

Slydog

Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

i know what the warranty states,but since this quad is new v-bike should issure a call tag for the atv and have it picked up at their expence and replace it at no cost. i know for a fact racewayatv would, we purchased a sunl 90 from raceway nov 05, the frame broke in haft 04/06, we called raceway, all they said in put it on a pallet and they're have it picked up, within 3 days later a truck came and got it, a week and a haft later we had a new 110. with no out of pocket expence on our part. Wildwooddy should not have to remove the engine nor should he hafta pay to ship back a defective engine.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

honestly.....Tim is making me nervous. I fear if I send the engine or quad back at this point I'm going to end up getting stiffed.
Bums me out.....vbike has a lot of really reviews out here, that is why I bought from them.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

I fully agree Wildwoody should not have to pay to ship it back, but does Vbike offer a warranty in writing that is legally binding ? I have never dealt with Vbike but they are basically a Taotao dealer that re-badge's their products Vbike. Raceway from what I have read is one of the rare few that actually stands behind their warranty on these chinese ATV's and most just use it as marketing to get the sale. If Vbike doesn't help you I would contact Taotao directly and see if they can help since they are the manufacturer of your ATV. Best of luck.......

http://www.taotao.us/index.htm

Slydog

Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

it would be completly differant if the quad was 3 or more months old, but since the quad is brand new it's not wildwoody reponsibilty to fix the factory screw up, what he needs to do is if he paid by credit card he needs to dispute the charges, and call v-bike up and demand they pick up the quad.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Latest update. I've contacted TaoTao directly and VBike again.
Before forewarned VBike will tell you they will do anything should there be any problems when you buy something from them but they won't do anything reasonable after you've bought it.
Basic fraud and misrepresentation if you ask me.
TaoTao had me speak with a woman who spoke less than a lick of the queens english and said she'd tell me exactly how to take the engine apart to fix it. Stay tuned for that adventure.
It seem to me I bought an ATV to ride not repair.
Are there any attorneys in Dallas that hang out here?

If anyone has the private email or phone number to the TaoTao USA president please forward that on.

Keep you all posted!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

the video of the problem. Its a 20mb quicktime mov so you've been forewarned.

click me click me

Quick Reply: Taotao ATA-250D shifting problems