Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SUNL 109B review

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUNL 109B review

First of all I want to say I am brand spankin new to ATVs. This is just from my observations from one day after getting this ATV. It is the SUNL 109B. It says 90cc on the paperwork but I think its a 110. It an automatic and has both front and rear brakes (foot pedal and hand brake).

It took me about 2 hours to unpack it and put it together which entailed- putting on th tires, installing the rear rack, front bumper and handle bars. I had the battery (sealed type) charging while assembling.

The first minor problem was stripping one of the 4 hex head bolts that secure the handle bars. I improvised with a bolt and nut I had.

Next minor problem was the the oil screw cap came of the dipstick- a little epoxy and good as new.

I also noticed that there was a small quarter sized hole in the cylinder head housing. After some posting on this site and talking to ATV Discounters I have been told this is nothing to worry about-just from the casting process (hope their right).

After that I checked the oil (good) and started it up. Fired right up but would not idle a first, found the idle screw and two turns later it was purring like a kitten. No other adjustments needed.

I checked all the bolts and surprisingly most were tight and most even had a cotter pin. All welds looked good (not familiar with welding but looked good to me).

I let it idle for about 20 minutes since I had read these ATVs can come with a gelpac in the carb and wanted to make sure it had time to disolve. Then ran it around the yard for 5-10 minutes (I am not heavy, only 150lbs). Then turned it off and changed the oil.

Daughter got home and after setting the idle limiter to about 8mph let her ride around the yard for the next 2 hours. She had a blast. I also "tested" it out and with the speed limiter removed this thing flies. Probably at least 25-30mph with me riding. Did not want to ride to hard, fast until broken in.

After riding I did another inspection- all bolts remained tight. The chain looks like it may need to be tightened a little (need to find out how to do this)>

Negatives:
No grease fittings to keep it lubed.
Air filter looks like it may be hard to reach to clean/replace.
No fuel shut off from gas tank to fuel filter.

Positives:
Cheap- $435 delivered!
easy to assemble by some one with limited mech ability
runs great (so far)
perfect size for 8yr old daughter-even though it pulls my 150lb butt all over the place.

Anyways that my story- I know a lot of people have posted negative things about SUNL ATVs- maybe I got lucky or maybe they were talking about ATVs they never even owned. I'll probably get a lot of people telling me how stupid I am for buying a piece of junk SUNL but- Its easy to say "ya SUNL sucks" but until you have OWNED one you should not make any comments- negative or positive.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:25 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default SUNL 109B review

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: magbolt
Its easy to say "ya SUNL sucks" but until you have OWNED one you should not make any comments- negative or positive.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the review magbolt! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You want to know why its easy to say SunL sucks? There are no positive posts at this forum on either SunL or Atv Discounters .

If your SunL experience is a positive one... you will be the ONLY one who will have had a good experience with them that has posted here.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 109B review

I can understand, but do YOU have any PERSONAL experience with SUNL or ATV Discounters? Most people with good experiences don't always take the time to express them. BUT if they have a negative experience they always let everyone know.
I do know that this same EXACT ATV I bought is still sold by Raceway-go figure.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default SUNL 109B review

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: magbolt

I can understand, but do YOU have any PERSONAL experience with SUNL or ATV Discounters?

Most people with good experiences don't always take the time to express them. BUT if they have a negative experience they always let everyone know.

I do know that this same EXACT ATV I bought is still sold by Raceway-go figure.</end quote></div>

I have not ever owned a SunL or bought anything from ATV Discounters. My only experience with them is reading and moderating threads about them here over the last 3 yrs or so. If you did a search here for SunL, you would find numerous threads with virtually nothing positive in them. This doesnt include the dozens of anti SunL threads that have been tossed in the trash can. Most due to getting extremely ugly. ATV Discounters doesnt have many positive posts about them either. I dont think any of their threads have been tossed.

I agree to some extent....Still very hard to find any positive info about SunL or ATV Discounters on the forums.

Really? which one?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 109B review

I am in no way connected to either SUNL or ATV Discounters- just another consumer.
My point exactly- you have no experience with SUNL or ATV Discounter yet YOU agree that the product "sucks".
I have yet to see one negative review of a 2008 SUNL. By the way you do know that SUNL does not manufacture anything-they are just an importer- and buy the same ATV's all of Chinese sellers get them from no matter what they are named Kazuma, Hanma, TaoTao, etc. All of the parts are exactly the same.
I think people have problems when they assemble them incorrectly at home and then complain.

Hard to believe they (ATV Discounters) have 1067 positive reviews and only 45 negative over the past 12 months on Ebay.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:26 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default SUNL 109B review

SUNL or ATV Discounters might be new and improved for 2008.

I think there was a sunl sucks website at one point and a few other complaint boards. I don't think all the parts are the same but MWQ could explain that better. If they are all the same then Eugene will be cloning the new 350 to all the other Chinese atv makers. MWQ has quite the knowledge when it comes to Chinese quads.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default SUNL 109B review

Funny you suddenly have lots of info on something youve only been involved with for about 48 hours...

Old 05-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default SUNL 109B review

give it 48 days and he'll open his own sunl sucks thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SUNL 109B review

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mywifesquad

Funny you suddenly have lots of info on something youve only been involved with for about 48 hours...</end quote></div>

As I am reading this thread, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default SUNL 109B review

Did not expect so much hostility- this is a hobbie guys, lighten up.
The only reason I joined was to gain so knowledge-not get bashed.
SUNL been up and running for 3 days now- 45 to go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

How do you get 48 hours.
Been "researching" since 5/9/08- granted not much but certainly more than "48 hours".

Quick Reply: SUNL 109B review