Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids Quad Debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids Quad Debate

Hello, I'm new to the forums, been lurking a while in my efforts to find the best 50cc solution for my 5 1/2 year old boy. I've been all over these boards and more and have learned a great deal. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 definitely, maybe 3.

Here's my dilemma on the 2. I could go for a brand new Kymco Mongoose 50, or I could go with a used 06 KFX50. Obviously there is a price difference of about $1000-$1200.

Kymco50 - 4 stroke, new =warranty, me=not a gear head
KFX50 - 2 stroke, cheaper, used=no warranty, me=not a gear head

My boy can drive the heck out of a power-wheels tractor, can "steer and gas" my Polaris Sportsman 500 when in front of me, is about 4.5' tall and 45 #'s (ie., bean-pole).

Which do you think would last longer? I would have to assume (yes, I know what that makes me) that the KFX50 would last a little longer in terms of power ONLY because there are more aftermarket upgrades out there.

Is there a difference in their low end power? I hear so many complaints about these 50's not being able to scale a hill.

I could go on and on with my confusion, but for sake of getting some answers, I'll just post this now..

Oh, the 3rd potential was the BTM Wide Track 50. New, cheap, stable, safe. But still Chinese, and little to no local support (recall, me=not a gear head), and not too many reviews here...

Thank you!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kids Quad Debate

Hi,
I went through the debate as well for my six year old. I went for A suzuki LT-A50. What ever dealer I went to and different people I spoke with they told me to go for a reputable brand, not only for reliability but also for parts when you need them.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Kids Quad Debate

I can shed some light on your situation.

I was in the same situation about a year ago. I live near the main dealer for Wildfire Motors in Ohio. They sell a lot of cheap chinese made ATV's and they service them at their site about 20 miles from my home. I spent a total of almost 700.00 out the door for a 100 ATV that fit both of my 10 and 8 year old girls. I had it one day and it threw an engine rod. They replaced it. A few weeks later, a wheel bearing went out. Didnt have time to find a truck to get it over there again. It sat in the shed over the winter until fixed that myself for $7.00. Now it cranks and wont start.

Lesson learned.

Honestly, the battery powered razor dirt bike has been the best thing since sliced bread for us, lol!!!

I have read a reread most all the postings on here and some other sites. I have to say that the thing that always comes back to me is that you get what you pay for.

I am now in the process of buying either a new quad from one of the big four brands or buying a used big four brand quad.

If I would have known then what I know now, I would have put that money down on a new quad and made the small payment each month or bought a good used big four brand for cash.

There are no sure deals in these things. You can read bad things about any of the quads made, but when you look at the sheer numbers of complaints, you will see the chinese brands are all over the boards with complaints, while the big four are here not so much. In addition, if my big four goes on the fritz, I can take it to a dealer and have it fixed.

I know there are people that love their chinese quad, but I bet they are fewer and farther between than those who love their honda or suzuki / kawasaki / yamaha.

Since you are like me and have little mechanical experience fixing quads, my advice is to buy either a new big four or a used one that can be supported from your local dealer. You can still shop around and get the best price. There will be leftovers soon, and there are always people selling great used ones cause their kids wont ride it or have outgrown it.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kids Quad Debate

Thanks for the replies! So therein lies part of my challenge. Kymco is not a Chinese mfgr. Taiwan. And actually they make the 2008 KFX50 for Kawasaki... The Kymco new is $1700 MSRP. The 2006 KFX50 is basically a Suzuki LTZ50, but in 2 stroke.

So maybe my basic question should be:
2 stroke or 4 stroke for a 5 year old whose dad is lass mechanically inclined?

OR

Does it really matter and I'm over thinking it?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kids Quad Debate

My son has a Eton 90r 2 stroke and my neighbor has a Kawasaki 50 4 stroke.
Both are good machines that are put to thier test everytime we all go out and ride.
As you know all 2 stroke engine will smoke, and are louder when compared to any 4 stroke engine of the same size...maybe something to consider before you purchase.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kids Quad Debate

Thanks rjdad. How about low end power between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke? I've read that many of these mini's struggle just to scale small mounds. And being 230#'s, it's hard for me to truly test the difference in a flat parking lot! Can you change out the sprockets like you can on a bike to change the low/high end performance?

I'm not too worried about top speed, 20-25 MPH is plenty for a 5-6 yr old in my opinion. It's certainly above what my wife would consider safe for him! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kids Quad Debate

You can change the sprockets...what is the right combination...that is all up to the type of performance you are looking for. I really did not see a performance issue when it came to power really; since the 50cc had smaller wheels it would get high center more often than my son who had more ground clearance (due to the taller tires). For the weight they are intended for I don't think you will notice a lack of power.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kids Quad Debate

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>How about low end power between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke? I've read that many of these mini's struggle just to scale small mounds.</end quote></div>

My son has a two stroke Suzuki LT-A50. We all love it. It has the exhaust restrictor removed and the restrictive carb jet removed, but the intake restrictor is still in place and the throttle is cranked WAY down. It still sustains ~15 MPH on level ground and carries my 50 pound 6YO up any hill he likes, including some that will leave you breathing hard to walk up. I ride it occasionally (testing!) and it moves my 170 pounds around nicely too except on the steepest hills.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm not too worried about top speed, 20-25 MPH is plenty for a 5-6 yr old in my opinion.</end quote></div>

If I backed off the throttle restriction the two stroke LT-A50 would easily top 20 MPH. Removing the intake restrictor would kick up the power another notch. Then there are well publicized mods you can do to the air intake, along with some carb rejetting, that take it to the next level. The mid 20's MPH should be easily achievable, though I think that's way too fast for a 6YO IMHO.

I'd look seriously at a used two stroke in good condition. They're easy to work on, have a lot of power for their weight (weight is a safety consideration for small riders), and hold their value very well.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Kids Quad Debate

I love me Zuki's but I'd go for the Kymco. I'm no fan of the LT50. Mostly cuz there is not alot to buy and if bought, is mostly a waste IMO.
Another good quad is the DRR/DRX machines.
At 5, you may want to consider a 70cc machine (they can go slow too). The 50 will be outgrown very soon as the riders abilitys increase.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kids Quad Debate

My 3 year old rides a Yamaha Raptor 50cc....I bought him a cheaper baja 50 cc from Pep Boys....Had nothing but problems.... I definitely would spend another $500 and get the Raptor....I love this bike....Very dependable...Its also jacked up (Sits higher) pretty high...higher than most other 50cc's which may be good because your son is 4' tall....my boy is like 3' tall and his feet cant quite touch the floor boards....I like the raptor....but any of the big 4 would be better than a knock off....IMHO!

Quick Reply: Kids Quad Debate