Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2001 scrambler 50 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 scrambler 50 ?'s

picked up one of these thats needs some work and am going through it. have been searching internet and readign about mods, not a whole lot of recent threads so i have a few questions.

Bike will run, has a new top end. Some of the wiring has been messed with. Looks like there was a tether kill switch that was disconnected, no big deal i dont need it. Also looks like there might have been a brake handle safety switch that enables the electric start to work?? It looks to be disconnected but the wires are connected to allow the elec start button to get power to the relay. I replaced the starter and it works fine when power directly to it. PResing the starter button, i only get a click from the relay. Disconecting teh relay and jumping the wires that normally would plug into the relay it turns the starter fine. Does this sound like just the relay is bad? Looks like they are expensive to replace and wondered if there is a cheaper solution. or even if this sounds like the problem?

Other questions i have specifically are;
Does the 2001 model have a rev limiter in the cdi? I havent found confirmation if it does and plan to replace it if in fact it does.
Also, i want to run premix and i took off the oil pump. Is there a block off plate to sover the hole? Are there any internal gears to remove?
I probably will eventually will go to a bigger carb and pipe but will just run the stock carb with a K&N for now.
This will just be a pit bike for me to mess around on, Thanks for any replies and answers

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the starter solenoid goes click and the starter doesn't turn then there are only a few possibilities:

1) Solenoid is bad. Set your parking brakeand make sure the quad is in neutral. Take a screwdriver and use the metal shank to short across the two screw posts. Don't mind a few sparks. Does the starter turn normally? If som the solenoid is bad.

2) Battery is discharged or at the end of its life. Jump the quad battery to your car battery. If the starter turns normally your battery is discharged or bad.

3) Bad wiring connections. Click the solenoid and hold it for several seconds. Then quickly feel around for any connection that is hot. Folow the connections from the battery to the solenoid and on down to the starter. Also be sure to follow the ground return wire from the engine to the negative battery post.

4) Bad starter. Since your starter works fine when hooked up directly to the battery this is not the issue in your case.

5) Engine too hard to turn. Again your starter does turn when hooked up directly, so this is not your issue.

Try shorting across the solenoid screw terminals first. If that turn the starter then you need a new solenoid. I'm puzzled by your statement about the solenoid being expensive to replace. I don't know about scrambler 50's specifically, but a solenoid is a solenoid. Chinese ones are really cheap. They all work the same - put 12 volts across the two small wires and the big screw posts get shorted together like you are about to do with your screwdriver when doing the solenoid test. Find a cheap one on eBay, or other site and buy it. If you can mount it mechanically and get wires run to it, it will work.

I don't know about your other questions specific to your quad...

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. i ended up buying a new solenoid and that fixed the problem. The solenoid was about $40 and is fully enclosed, unlike a traditional one you are thinking of. It plugs into a harness of wires. (probably why it is expensive) If i was more electrically inclined, i could of jerry rigged the wiring with a cheap solenoid but im not. I took apart the bad solenoid and could see the failed parts.

FYI for those looking to do anything with these, Billy at WRH racing was no help. I have seen his name in many posts about these 50's, but he doesnt answer the phone, doesnt answer emails , or return phone messages.
I found Lakes Motorsports in Michigan (248) 674-0663)to be very helpful. They answered all my specific questions and had all the parts i was looking for above. I received my parts 3 days later and the lil 50 runs like a champ now.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you got it working.

The feedback on parts vendors is good too. Your comment will show up in search engine outputs, and in conjunction with other's comments will have an effect down the road be it good or bad.