Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT 80 Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT 80 Power Loss

LT80 I have replaced the entire clutch with new parts if you were to look at a parts listing of transmission 1 I bought everthing new. I have put a little moly lube on the rollers because the old clutch looks to have some sort moly lube on them. I have also found the grove in the belt is from the washer and I have heard that to be normal. PUt everthing back together and she still runs in and out of power band. I have not been able to find any sort of pattern to when this low power situation occurs. Do you or anyone have any suggestion's

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT 80 Power Loss

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tlewis411

I have a 87 lt80 and after it you ride it for about 5 minutes it just boggs and wont go. If you wait a few it will go again. .</end quote></div>

this sounds like a gas starvation problem. try leaving on prime on the petcock. or maybe you have a cloged jet. try leaving on the choke. see if any of these help. is the fan working? pull off one of the air tubes and see if you feel moving air. if not could have a overheating problem

Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT 80 Power Loss

It's starting to sound like it's sucking air.
Carb o-ring there (between the carb and black insulator)?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT 80 Power Loss

lt80 what ya think. sucking air and overheating???? let it sit and it cools enough to ride alittle longer?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default LT 80 Power Loss

I've never seen a LT80 with a heat problem. I've even seen em run w/o the top motor plastic and no fan (TT racing).
I'm starting to wonder about transmission 2. Maybe a torque spring problem...Heat effects them big time.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Range Rover
Default LT 80 Power Loss

One of ours had junk in the tank. Plugged the petcock enough that only a trickle got through. It would idle & putt around ok but a lot of throttle would empty the bowl. Good fuel flow on prime? Something to check.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT 80 Power Loss

I have removed carb again and all air passages and jets are clean and the float looks fine. I have also tried to run on prime also with no change. I have a vaccum pump which I hooked up to the vacuum line on the petcock to verify fuel flow on the run setting. Works fine on all 3 settings. I have also removed the reed valve thought maybe one was cracked and not opening all the way but they look great. I do not believe overheating to be the problem because it will do it right after start up with unit still cold. I have also check for an intake leak I have sprayed contact cleaner around the carb area and had no change in engine RPM. I also turned up the idle on the unit just too where the quad wants to start to move. It starts to move than stumbles than starts to move than stumbles and almost has a heart beat type pattern than you give it a little gas and it will idle perfectly for a while and then go back to the rhythm of stumbling I rode it for about 15 minutes last night and sometimes it runs great right from take off till you let off the throttle than when you slow down and open up the throttle again blahblah it barely moves. I think tonight I am going to remove the clutch and determine 100% if it is engine related or if it is clutch or tranny related. Thank you all for your help when I finally figure this out I will let eveyone know.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT 80 Power Loss

I have 2 suggestions.

The first really easy and quick thing to check is the gas cap. If the vent hole is clogged, it will run fine until a vaccum is created in the tank, then it will starve for gas. Run it until it starts to bog, and then loosen the gas cap and see if it immediately helps. It may not be your problem but it's such an easy check it's worth doing.

My second suggestion is to check the CDI. I once had a bad CDI on my quadsport 230 that caused the exact symptoms your talking about. It would run really good, then bog. The more I rode it, the more it bogged. Checked everything mechanical and rebuilt the carb and it still didn't run right. Finally swapped out the CDI with an extra one I had sitting around and presto, it ran good all the time.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default LT 80 Power Loss

Good reply yagerzzz!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I didn't think of the gas cap but was going to mention the CDI after he checked things out.
I'm starting to wonder if the pipe may be starting to plug up also.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT 80 Power Loss

LT80 i would check out the exhaust for obstruction , it could be a dirt dobbler nest in the muffler ; before i closed my shop in 97' i found quite a few customers bring in everything from chainsaws/line trimmers to Lawn and Garden tracktors full of Dirt Dobbers and Rat Nests foul them up in just a short peroid of time some overnight !

One more idea about the exhaust pipe , all manufacturers reccomend removing the spark arresters from the muffler to blow out the carbon buildup ; in over 20 yrs. in small engine repair i've seen some weird things happen !.....

Quick Reply: LT 80 Power Loss