Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT 80 Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT 80 Power Loss

I have my friends son's quad at my house and the thing has inconsistent power. I have checked compression and it is at 115 psi I have removed the carb and blew compressed air through the jets and ports and also checked for ignition spark. Checked air filter and spark plug look almost brand new the battery is at 12.8 volts. I have also checked the exhaust for restrictions and nothing stands out. The quad starts first time almost every start the problem is when you give it gas it lacks it's power band sounds very groggy and will barely move. If you help it get going it will run about 10-15 mph. Then sometimes it takes right off and almost flips me off the back???? I have rode the unit for approx 20 min and power band kicks in and out when riding. When the unit is under full power and then kicks out if throttle is held wide open the unit will stall then start right back up if you are to let off the throttle the unit will not stall. When in full power you let off the throttle the unit barely ever goes back under power and starts to bog down. When it is groggy it seems if you let off the throttle and then roll back on it seems to kick in sometimes. I do have a mechanical backround but I am new to quads anybody have any suggestion's. I am also curious about the oil injection and operation of the pump. Any help????

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT 80 Power Loss

Welcome to the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'd do clutch maintenence and see what's going on in there. It could be a roller issue.
The oil inj. is driven by a lil black plastic piece on the end of the crankshaft.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Range Rover
Default LT 80 Power Loss

My daughter's had similar symptoms a couple of weeks ago. It had been sitting a while. I found that both jets had accumulatd varnish. I couldn't see through the idle jet and the main was about 1/3 of the size of normal. I had to poke a strand of electrical wire through the idle jet because I didn't have anything small enough.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT 80 Power Loss

You mentioned clutch maint. I have a 87 lt80 and after it you ride it for about 5 minutes it just boggs and wont go. If you wait a few it will go again. Does this sound like a clutch heating up or maybe a new belt. When it is having problems I can lift the back wheels of the ground and they will start to turn. I had it up on jacks and it won't bog then, only under load. Kinda wierd. My battery won't sat at 12v. Does this have anything to do with it. It stays at around 7v. Thanks in advance....

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT 80 Power Loss

Thank you for your great advice and fast response I have taken the clutch apart and the rollers have flat spots and the belt has a grove around the circumference and you can see the dust from the belt not sure what the belt is rubbing on. I plan on replacing both they aren't very expensive. Well thanks again

Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default LT 80 Power Loss

Punk: please check where the variator where the rollers run for grooves/uneven wear.
The plate that covers the rollers can get ruined also. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

tlewis411: I'd start with a good carb cleaning, compression check, and clutch maint.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT 80 Power Loss

Forgive me as I am new to these things. I have cleaned the carb and will check the compression. I know that I took apart the clutches and the front clutch was so full of grease and what appeared to be belt material that I don't know how it even worked. Should I have greased the rollers in the front clutch when I put it back together? I didn't. Maybe you can help me understand how this works. Does the front clutch even move in and out or is it just the rear clutch? I am not sure how to check to see if the rear clutch is disengaging. It seems to stay engaged.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default LT 80 Power Loss

Figure this out yet?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT 80 Power Loss

I am hoping so. I ordered new rollers for the front clutch and also the roller housing. It had 2 "dips" where the rollers go so I thought it should be replaced. Waiting on parts and will see what happens. The rollers were flat in spots also. I have read that it's best to only put 4 in instead of 6. What is your opinion about that?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT 80 Power Loss

get it running right and then play with the clutches. I found it better to cut the rear shoes. IMO

Quick Reply: LT 80 Power Loss