Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help me pick for my six year old son

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick for my six year old son

LT-80 is a great choice. Durable, and you can get parts and service readily if needed.

Unless you have someone to wrench on it, or a dealer that will give you good parts and service support, I would stay away from the Chinese quads also.

I bought a 2002 Xtreme 90 for my kids first quad. I also got a Honda TRX 90 shortly after. They would fight over the Honda because they hated riding the Xtreme. It was faster than the Honda, but the brakes were terrible, it vibrated your hands and butt badly when you were at speed, and it smoked like a freight train. The plastic was cheap and cracked for no good reason. I am dumping it for $250 because I can't sell it to anyone for more than that in good conscience.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I am going to meet this guy this weekend to look at the 2003 LT-80. What questions do I need to ask and what is a good price to offer?

Thanks again, you are all so helpful.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

NADA guides list average retail price of $1135 and low as $865.

If you are not mechanically inclined it would be a good idea to have someone with you that is. Note the general condition of the quad. light scuffs and scratches on the plastic is normal. Cracks are bad. Has it been used lightly or heavily? Has it been serviced reqularly or neglected? Has it been stored inside or out? Steering should be tight and not clunky. The motor should start easily and quickly. Lt-80's have two stroke motors. They have a separate oil tank for oil that lubricates the engine. This tank should never be empty. If the people selling it had property to ride on, generally the quad is going to get more use than if it were owned by someone who has to load it up and drive somewhere to ride.

This is just a few items off the top of my head. Hopefully some others can chime in.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

LT80 sounds good to me, get on the quad yourself and ride it, just make sure their's no adnormal noises, it drives down the street streight, tires are good, has the owner's manual, good title (check vin numbers) a lot of quads are stolen and resold on craigslist. also make sure it still uses the oil injector and has not been removed.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

We bought the LT80 for my son. I think he is going to love it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Now I need to find one for my sister in laws son. Here is one listed on craigs list, what about this brand?

2003 Bombardier DS90--they are asking 1200 or best offer, what is a good price range for this? Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Range Rover

good choice, much better than any chnese brand atv you could've purchased.

go here for used atv prices
used atv prices

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If you ever need any advise, just give a shout.
The Bomb is another fine machine. 1200 seems fair enough. You check ebay?

Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

lt80 is a great wheeler, I have one that my 6 year old rides and he loves it. I even sneak a ride once in a while and I'm a big guy. I would make the suggestion of putting on wheel spacers if you want to do any trail riding. They make the quad a lot more stable for the little guys. Take care of it and you'll have it for a long time and when you are done with it you can throw it back on C/L and getting money out of it at the end.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

i purchased a giovanni 200, as well as one for my son, we did a few light modifications such as a new plug and wire, added some raptor decals and these things have run perfect for us. i know that there are some bad posts on these chinese quads, but with a little know-how and some minor tweeks this things run very well..

OUR GIOVANNI 200 BEASTS

NEO

Old 10-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

I bought my youngest son a Hanma R-9 from ATVdiscounter.com and it is a tank. My older son gets on it and is brutal with it. Catches air, rides on two wheels, cookies! I keep thinking he is going to break his brothers ride but it keeps on going. I have not done anything to this quad but put it together, change oil and pour gas in it. I keep a close eye the components to make sure everything is tight and working properly. This was the second Chinese quad I bought and now I own three. My wife and I went on a 50 mile trip today with our MIC's and not a problem one. I like the MIC's myself.

Quick Reply: Help me pick for my six year old son