Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008 | 01:08 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Winterizing

HI live in the Yukon and the cold weather has come, driving in about -20 ( about 16 degrees to you USers). I have a 250cc gio( bad boy - utility style) , bought it in the early summer. I have had a few problems so have had to work on the bike. Tuned the carb, replaced a starter but replaced the solenoid and wiring first. Really for the money I can't complain, it's a nice little bike, simple.

I am going to do the cold weather carb adjustment, the one that is mentioned here so often, this weekend. Wondering if anyone has other tweaks or wisdom for trying to get this little bike through a cold winter.

couple more things:
my bike is officially a Yongkang easy vehicle YL 813 bought through Gio motorsports,
The bike vibrates and is quite loud .

Also it doesn't want to stay in first gear, so I have to keep pressure on the clutch to keep it from slipping out of first gear and into neutral.

The motor itself is noisy, not the internal combustion part but the linkages inside, sounds like a old jalopy - funny because the thing really runs fine.

It has been starting at -20C with little prodding and once idling 3 minutes the buggers good to go.

Gotta say this forum is great, helped me more that a few times now.

Happy trails!

Old 11-08-2008 | 07:12 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Winterizing

Hi again,

I got finished doing the winter carburetor tune, brought the e-clip down to the lowest ring on the needle, raising the needle, creating a bigger opening for fuel to enter through. I had quite a time getting the spring compressed enough to sip the line back where it originally sat, but figured it out.

So I'm about half way back together and I find a spring that must have come from the outside of the carburetor somewhere but I didn't see it when I took the carb apart. I'll post a picture of it, you should be able to see it by clicking the camara icon under my name on this posting.

Let me know if you know where this goes.