Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired

The only time it bogs on take-off is when you floor it very fast from a stand still. If you hold it at about 1/4-1/2 throttle it takes off nice, and then you have to add throttle as you pick up speed. When going real fast it was bogging when the throttle was pushed wide-open, but if you kept it at about 3/4 or a little higher it would keep gettin' it.

Before I had the needle set in the middle, and it seemed that turning the fuel screw out (leaner) was helping me keep from bogging on the top end, but I was getting to the point where I was worried the screw was going to fall out. I was at almost 6 turns. Now the needle is all the way down (leanest setting), and it seems much better on the top end. I've continued to back the screw out, and I'm at about 4-5 turns now. It flies now as long as I let the speed build up just a bit before flooring it. I've also got the governor turned in a little to keep from pressing the throttle completely wide-open. The little quad was taking me up some decent hills today as long as I had some good speed and kept the engine wound out.

I'll definitely be tinkering w/ it some more (it's my nature to constantly tweak on things), and try what you guys are suggesting. I just wonder if I was explaining it right before b/c leaner seems to help. I've been using top speed performance to gauge what's best now. Before I was trying to adjust it on a jack stand and just listen to the engine, but I really couldn't tell a lot.

I know that up in the field I tried turning the screw all the way in (richer...but the needle still on the leanest setting) while it was idling, and that made it die. I went back out to 4-5 turns and was flying again.

I may pull the plug and see how she looks. As far as the jets being clean...the jets are those two things that stick down into the bowl, right? They should be good to go. Like I said, I took it completely apart and soaked everything for a good while, scrubbed each piece till it looked almost new, and blew them out w/ compressed air. I could see daylight though every hole in every direction.

All day yesterday and today we've been tearing it up. I went exploring and found an awesome field back behind the woods that is a blast and has a little jump too.

My little brother-in-law ran it out of gas this morning. Do you guys think 93 octane will make a difference?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

They do recommend the 93 octane. That's all I've ever used.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: woodchuckie

They do recommend the 93 octane. That's all I've ever used.</end quote></div>

Awesome...looking forward to a little boost!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

I never use normal oil on my ATV's due to the clutches.. I use HONDA GN4... Never any issues at all with that.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lt250 4x4

I never use normal oil on my ATV's due to the clutches.. I use HONDA GN4... Never any issues at all with that.</end quote></div>

So, you think that stuff is good in the Chinese engines? If so, which weight should I get? 10W-40?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

I always ran 10w30 Honda GN4 oil.. I've had problem witho ther oils on clutches and making them slip before so I stick with this. Most Chinese ATV's use honda clone engines so why not use Honda Oil. Its worth the couple extra dollars to prevent premature wear.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

My brother-in-law ran the thing out of gas this past weekend. I just got some 93, but it wouldn't crank. I took a look, and the air/fuel screw & spring is gone!

Anybody have a spare?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anybody know how to tell if my quad has more than 1 gear? I keep reading about automatic, semi-automatic, and manual gear boxes having 4 gears. How can I check to see what I have?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I would assume it would have a gear shift if it has more than one gear?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I think on some of them you can remove the shift lever and keep it in 1st or 2nd, and then add the shifter later as the rider progresses. That's why I'm asking. I got this quad 2nd hand for free w/ no instruction manual, and no accessories.

Quick Reply: Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired