Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired

here is a site I found a while back that has a bunch of manuals, some for chinese bikes. Since they are all similar, it may help.

http://www.highrpmracer.net/su...p?_m=downloads&_a=view

Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I got the last few pieces I needed yesterday in the mail.

I've completely re-built the carb w/ a new float bowl gasket, new fuel line, new fuel filter, and I added a fuel cut-off switch. Cleaned and re-oiled the air filter. [The carb says 'Made in Japan' on it, but I'm pretty sure the quad is chinese.]

Got a new battery, and a charger.

Changed out the spark plug, and also changed the oil. [It took way less than a quart. I had to use my suction pump b/c I just dumped the whole quart in at first.]

Pushed the starter button, and she fired right up! I played around w/ the carb a little, but I need to read up some more. It was getting too late to have the thing running...its loud and I have neighbors.

Stayed up till midnight getting the body back on, and ty-wrapping all the wiring.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the carb dialed in tonight, and take her for a test run. My boy's birthday (he'll be 7) is Monday, but his party is tomorrow. Excellent timing I must say!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: louisiana.brandon

here is a site I found a while back that has a bunch of manuals, some for chinese bikes. Since they are all similar, it may help.

http://www.highrpmracer.net/su...p?_m=downloads&_a=view</end quote></div>

The instructions for the Meerkat 50 in the link say to use 20W-50. I used 10W-30 per the advice further above. Should I switch to 20W-50?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've used 10w40 in all my chinese stuff for years with no problems.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

the thicker oil is way to thick unless its 100 degrees!!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Did you remove those jets and make sure they were clean?..They looked pretty nasty and just a soaking may not be enough..Especially for the tiny pilot jet..

Old 12-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I should have taken pics, but I'm sure the jets are pretty clean. I took it completely apart and soaked all the tiny pieces in carb & parts cleaner for over a day...the bowl I let soak for over 2 days. I used an old toothbrush on everything as well. After the soaking I washed everything off w/ water, and then used my air compressor w/ filters to blow air through all the small holes and to ensure everything was dry and clean. I could feel air come out of all the tiny pin holes.

We've been running the quad since we got home. It's been a blast! I keep messing w/ the carb trying to get better performance. It was bogging pretty bad when I opened the throttle wide-open. I've read that means it's too rich. Backing out the fuel screw helped, but it didn't seem like enough. I went all the way out to 5 turns. It's below freezing here right now, so I'm sure that didn't help either.

So, I took the carb back apart, and moved the needle down to the leanest setting. I started back at 2 turns, and i think I'm at 2-1/2 or 3 turns right now. It's moving pretty fast now, but I can't just floor it. I have to work the throttle up as its accelerating to keep it from bogging, but its plenty fast and running much better than before. I was testing top speed on the street, but I can't see how fast it'll go b/c it gets too unstable, and I'm afraid of a wipe-out!

It is a little more temperamental in the backyard. Sometimes I have to pump the throttle a little bit when I'm coming back up the hill.

I took my son on a tour of the neighborhood, and it pulled both of us around and up some decent hills. As long as I had some speed going into them I was fine. I can't start on a slope w/ that much weight, though. I'm about 165lbs, and my son is about 60lbs.

Then after a little safety course I let him put around the back yard by himself. He was grinnin' ear-to-ear! He couldn't get enough, and kept coming back for more after periodic breaks. Ridin' around in the big full-moon w/ clear skies. Absolutely beautiful, but damn cold!

What process do you guys use to tune the carb? I was having a hard time telling where the max revs were when idling and adjusting the fuel screw. I just started riding it up and down the street, and then making 1/2 turns at a time to see if anything seemed better or worse. It was still hard to tell what's best. I wish I had some kind of meter to hook up that would take all the guess-work out of it.

Do you think i need a smaller jet?

If I pull the plug to see how it looks, and I was running rich before, but good now, would the soot get burned off? I haven't pulled it yet, but I've made so many changes I'm not sure how to interpret it.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have never messed with my jets and we ride in cold. I would try putting the clip at the middle and try from there. at the top its the leanist and the bottom is the richest. so put in the middle and try to tune from there. sounds like you are lean on the bottom. when you it the gas there isent a smooth flow of gas thats why it putters out its really lean and you pour a bunch of gas into with hitting the gas and it floods. should be middle and 1-1/2 turns to start. that should be a good starting point. let us know how it goes.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Bog on throttle is usually too much air. Try moving the needle up and see what happens.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

I am with LT80 on that one...If you can't get it rich enough I would take another peak at the jets just to double check they are clean..It is probably not jetted for the cold weather either which will make it even more lean...I would experiment with the choke a little..If the engine is more responsive with the choke on slightly it is a sign that it is too lean..Keep giving it a little more choke if it doesn't seem to make any difference...It should either pick up or die and that will tell you if it's lean or not..

Quick Reply: Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired